Morton v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Negative.....we don't score from them.

The opposition however................

The stat is something like 3% for goals from corners. If we get to 96 corners this season and no goals scored I'll start getting excited.

Anyone know our current total? 

Edited by The Legend Blows

1 minute ago, The Legend Blows said:

The stat is something like 3% for goals from corners. If we get to 96 corners this season and no goals scored I'll start getting excited.

Anyone know our current total? 

Our current total against must contribute generously to that 3% figure. Too many to mention sadly.

Did Holt score from a corner in the 4-1 v Inverness? Muirhead v Morton?

Only surprise today was Morton just won by a single goal. On play they deserved to win by more. We rarely won any first balls but just as disappointing we hardly competed for any second balls, and there were plenty on offer to fight for.  

Not having a natural left sided central defender to cover for Holt is possibly our biggest failing. We've now played Brownlie, Muirhead, McMillan and Akinola in the Holt position and none have looked in any way comfortable played there.  

From Youtube highlights:

Kick-off, back to Bannigan, who punts it directly to a Morton player on the right.... possession lost in less than 5 seconds! Do they do this in training? Powerpoint and all? Because mesmerizing football, it ain't.

Akinola not up to it for both goals: doesn't jump or deal with his man at the corner, then fails to slide in to clear for their second.

He won't be missed in the next match, regardless of who takes his place. In fact the opposition might already be saying exactly that.

7 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

From Youtube highlights:

Kick-off, back to Bannigan, who punts it directly to a Morton player on the right.... possession lost in less than 5 seconds! Do they do this in training? Powerpoint and all? Because mesmerizing football, it ain't.

Akinola not up to it for both goals: doesn't jump or deal with his man at the corner, then fails to slide in to clear for their second.

He won't be missed in the next match, regardless of who takes his place. In fact the opposition might already be saying exactly that.

Whilst I agree Akinola is at fault for the first and won't be missed in the next match I think its harsh blaming him for the second. 

Turner has to do better in midfield. He's given up possession to cheaply and had the option of playing it simple to Bannigan or clearing it over his shoulder, instead he's trying to create space to start an attack. To my mind thats a poor understanding of the game situation i.e. don't try and force an attack to win the game, keep it simple and don't lose a point

Also Hodson is very high and gets caught out of by the turnover in possession. That forces Brownlie out of position and thereafter its a very good ball in and a decent finish. Again to me Hodson should have been told to sit deeper as we shouldn't have bene trying to force a winner. A point would have made a big difference to our confidence and belief. 

However if you watch the Morton goalscorer you can see Lawless and Smith standing closest to him as Morton win possession. I think at that point Smith is playing right of a midfield 3 and Lawless is playing right wing. So Smith needed to pick up the goalscorer as soon as we lost possession. The Morton left back is not challenged at all which is where Lawless should have been. If either of them do their job properly the chances of that goal been scored drops massively.

2 hours ago, laukat said:

Whilst I agree Akinola is at fault for the first and won't be missed in the next match I think its harsh blaming him for the second. 

Turner has to do better in midfield. He's given up possession to cheaply and had the option of playing it simple to Bannigan or clearing it over his shoulder, instead he's trying to create space to start an attack. To my mind thats a poor understanding of the game situation i.e. don't try and force an attack to win the game, keep it simple and don't lose a point

Also Hodson is very high and gets caught out of by the turnover in possession. That forces Brownlie out of position and thereafter its a very good ball in and a decent finish. Again to me Hodson should have been told to sit deeper as we shouldn't have bene trying to force a winner. A point would have made a big difference to our confidence and belief. 

However if you watch the Morton goalscorer you can see Lawless and Smith standing closest to him as Morton win possession. I think at that point Smith is playing right of a midfield 3 and Lawless is playing right wing. So Smith needed to pick up the goalscorer as soon as we lost possession. The Morton left back is not challenged at all which is where Lawless should have been. If either of them do their job properly the chances of that goal been scored drops massively.

I agree with much you say. Only when McCall normally has made his substitutions it's difficult to know just who is playing where. I would use the term all over the place with a fair amount of literal meaning

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

43 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I agree with much you say. Only when McCall normally has made his substitutions it's difficult to know just who is playing where. I would use the term all over the place with a fair amount of literal meaning

Definitely one of the problems has been the multiple formation changes and within the game on Saturday we changed from a 3-5-2 to a 4-3-3. 

A lot has been made of our defensive problems since Holts injury and until Saturday there was a need for 5 at the back to compensate for Brownlie and Akinola. However I actually think we now have 4 or 5 reasonable defenders available in Hodson, McMillan, Milne, Muirhead and Brownlie (think he's now closer to the required standard) so that should allow us to go back to 4 at the back.

However they are sitting behind a really defensively weak midfield and that to me is where the problem is and has been all season. I'm not so sure that Holt looks as good without Docherty in front of him and clearly we were conceding goals before both were injured.

If we are going to play with McMillan and Milne getting so high up the park then we need 2 defensive midfielders and to move to a 4-2-3-1. With only Docherty on the books it will be at least January before we can address that and with only 2 fit midfielders for Saturday its likely another formation/tactics tombola is on its way. With this many spins of the tombola you would hope we might get lucky once.

26 minutes ago, laukat said:

Definitely one of the problems has been the multiple formation changes and within the game on Saturday we changed from a 3-5-2 to a 4-3-3. 

A lot has been made of our defensive problems since Holts injury and until Saturday there was a need for 5 at the back to compensate for Brownlie and Akinola. However I actually think we now have 4 or 5 reasonable defenders available in Hodson, McMillan, Milne, Muirhead and Brownlie (think he's now closer to the required standard) so that should allow us to go back to 4 at the back.

However they are sitting behind a really defensively weak midfield and that to me is where the problem is and has been all season. I'm not so sure that Holt looks as good without Docherty in front of him and clearly we were conceding goals before both were injured.

If we are going to play with McMillan and Milne getting so high up the park then we need 2 defensive midfielders and to move to a 4-2-3-1. With only Docherty on the books it will be at least January before we can address that and with only 2 fit midfielders for Saturday its likely another formation/tactics tombola is on its way. With this many spins of the tombola you would hope we might get lucky once.

Is Stanway not a defensive midfielder? If so, why hasn’t he had a game?

22 hours ago, laukat said:

Points well taken (by me, not by the team!). But your post does seem to highlight the total on-field shambles, with players either not knowing what they're supposed to be doing, or knowing it but just not doing it.

Worrying.

• Like 1