Thistle v Arbroath

Albert's Ghost

Just now, JAG1970 said:

An unconvincing 45. We look capable of throwing it away more than we do of holding it let alone building on it.

Midfield being bossed by Arbroath. Fitzy again failing to stake a claim for starting each week. Need a big improvement in the second half.

I'd have huckled Fitzy off after 10 minutes of him pissing about doing nothing and shoved Weston on in his place. The wee man at least looks interested.

28 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Positives : 3 points, clean sheet , defence better , boost to confidence 

negatives : just about everything  else 

we won’t another game playing like  that 

Agreed.. but another positive was the banner unfurled at the JLS  with 10 mins to go. More please

Edited by JAG1970

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

Not as comfortable as final score suggests. 

3 Goals, a clean sheet and 3 points. Hopefully we can build on this. Great goal line clearance by Milne at 3-0.

Onto Kelty at home in the cup.

Love his attitude.. never hides.. pops up with a goal and two minutes later clearing one off the line.

Subs made a difference.. Including  Bannigan winning the ball in the middle of the park and a defence splitting pass for Tiffoney? to run it across goal for Turner to score the second.

7 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And who’s fault is it that we don’t have adequate cover for those key players when we have a budget many times the size of Arbroath’s ?

And you know this for a fact?

I don't believe, with the possible exceptions of Dundee and Queens Park, that any team in this league could afford to sign replacements, to have them sitting on the bench, of the same calibre of their 4 or 5 best and most influential players.

The run of injuries and the specific  players injured has just been very bad luck albeit critical to our championship hopes.

No doubt those coming in could have done better but again I don't think you can lose 35-40% of your team and expect it not to have consequences.

With players coming back we should all expect performances and results to improve but we do need Docherty and Holt back to get back into the mix for our play-off and Championship aspirations.

First half we were lucky to be leading. Graham's goal had 2 big chunks of luck as neither him or Tuner make great contact with the ball.

Arbroath dominated possession with our midfield being to lightweight. Fitzpatrick was again anonymous and their right back had him so far in his his back pocket that Milne was getting put under pressure.

Second half after Bannigan came on we looked much more competitive in midfield. When Tiffoney replaced Fitzpatrick we got better again mainly because their right=back couldn't get forward.

Strange game as I didn't feel at any point we would lose even though Arbroath were particularly first half running the game. 

Plus points:

Back 4 and Keeper looked decent. Thought Milne put in a better and more discipline performance and it looked like he had been told to limit his overlapping runs

Graham made a difference. Thought he provided much more of a presence.

Turner second half playing just in behind the front 3 looked much better.

McCalls subs made sense.

The protests were very good, well timed and the banner hit all the key points.

Negative points:

Against a better team we would have been a few behind before haltime

Our starting midfield was very very weak. Even with a midfield 3 of Bannigan, Hodson and Turner is isn't going to be good enough against teams higher up the division.

Fitzpatrick again did nothing. Time is running out for him.

In the end a comfortable and very welcome victory...but we weren't particularly good. Arbroath weren't the worst side I've seen at Firhill this season - that was Morton who are now second top - but although they had more possession they didn't threaten that often albeit they missed an absolute sitter early in the second half. Good to get a shut-out although I am far from convinced about Brownlie.

Graham's goal came off his shin and went into the corner of the net, he missed three good chances and messed up a 4 on 1 breakaway...but he does still bring something to the team. Tiffoney was quite subdued but still made an impact...unfortunately Fitzpatrick failed to do so. Turner was our most creative player with a goal & two assists and Milne was good with a miraculous goal-line clearance. Banzo is too good to be just a sub.

Good to get the win and to finish much the stronger team. Campbell getting booked was pleasing too...I listened to him being interviewed on my way home...the decision for our second goal was apparently the worst he had seen in 30 years of football management..what an absolute Dick! 

A team will not have to be exceptional  to win this League...we still have a real chance.

The chants of "Sack the Board" rounded off a much better day at Firhill.