Thistle v Ayr, Saturday 17th December

thebiglemon

39 minutes ago, thebiglemon said:

Now I can access the forum again thought I'd open a topic.

Will the freeze put it off? Is the under soil heating worth using?

Frankly I'm getting a bit old for sub zero football 

Get the game on.

Get a decent crowd in.

Nothing like a wintry local derby. 

All of a sudden there is a wave of optimism sweeping through the club and the supporters.

Opposing groups talking to each other, people admitting to mistakes and wanting to correct them, Jags Foundation/Trust members appointed to the board and business people coming forward willing to invest in the club!

Looks like we can now focus on the future,  bury quite a few hatches and support the manger and the team to get on with the job.

Weather permitting I am hoping to attend my first game of the season and make the journey south to Firhill.  Up to now I have been unable to travel due to health issues.

Can we use this wave of opimism to sweep Ayr away  and start closing the gap on the top 4

Our next 5 games are all tough as we play the top 4 plus ICT. Big crowds needed at Firhill to cheer the team on.

Come on the Jags.

• Like 3

Ironic that it's Ayr we're playing and the game in doubt. They lost out on a bumper crowd when their game with us was postponed for yon funeral.

I wouldn't have thought we'd put on USH these days for any game. Even with a big cup tie the gate is split.  Normally whether putting on USH or not would be a simple commercial decision. Loss of hospitality, much reduced midweek crowd and extra lighting costs etc weighed up against the cost of running USH. I think in most instances USH would not be switched on. 

This Saturday tho' is exceptional. We want to celebrate the feel good factors off the pitch and we'd expect a higher than normal gate. In footballing terms we don't want to go another week (unless there's an injury crisis or an illness bug we don't know about) and risk players losing match fitness. We might then have to organise bounce games at more cost. So there's strong justification for going against the grain and switching on the USH. I can tho' for reasons given understand if the game has to be postponed.

Fingers crossed the weather will be mild enough for the match to go ahead without having to make this decision.

46 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Ironic that it's Ayr we're playing and the game in doubt. They lost out on a bumper crowd when their game with us was postponed for yon funeral.

I wouldn't have thought we'd put on USH these days for any game. Even with a big cup tie the gate is split.  Normally whether putting on USH or not would be a simple commercial decision. Loss of hospitality, much reduced midweek crowd and extra lighting costs etc weighed up against the cost of running USH. I think in most instances USH would not be switched on. 

This Saturday tho' is exceptional. We want to celebrate the feel good factors off the pitch and we'd expect a higher than normal gate. In footballing terms we don't want to go another week (unless there's an injury crisis or an illness bug we don't know about) and risk players losing match fitness. We might then have to organise bounce games at more cost. So there's strong justification for going against the grain and switching on the USH. I can tho' for reasons given understand if the game has to be postponed.

Fingers crossed the weather will be mild enough for the match to go ahead without having to make this decision.

Can’t see the point of having USH if we don’t use it ,especially now with good feel factor returning and big(gish) crowd on Sat .Would be highly surprised if it’s not switched on midweek .

The weather forecast for Glasgow ar the moment  is minus temperatures through until Friday afternoon when the thermometer creeps above freezing. The plus temperatures continue throughout Saturday but do not rise above 2 degrees. I suspect the playing surface, after almost a full week of sub-zero temperatures, will still be frozen to the point of being unplayable and dangerous.

It seems to me that it's either turn on the USH or game off.

I do agree with you that the club can expect a bigger crowd than recent home matches and I hope this possibility is enough to persuade Directers to turn on th USH. 

Failing to turn on the USH would be perceived negatively and could dampen the enthusiasm of fans keen to focus on football than internal politics.

My message to the club would be TURN ON THE USH and get the game played.

It feels like the first time since we last got promoted to the premier that we have had the off-field activities heading in the right direction and a board that the fans can get behind.

It will be interesting to see what the effect is in the team performances and results. 

Also be interested to see how McCall is now Jlow and cronies have gone. To my mind he looked like the discontent between the fans and the board was wearing more heavily on his shoulders.

I know a few other posters suggested McCall was Jlow's man but if memory serves we Beattie came back, fired Caldwell and then appointed McCall? Not sure McCall was ever JLow's cup of tea? 

Picking up 2 points above:

• Although I was not there myself I have it on good authority that Ian McCall dropped in to the Jags Foundation event in Munns on Saturday, which would tend to indicate a positive attitude to TJF.
  • On the question of undersoil heating I have vague memories of us failing to turn it on for a game a few years ago when a good win might have given us some positive momentum. Struggling to remember which game it was, but the impression of "running scared" seemed to feed the then negative mood.

33 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Speaking selfishly, Ayr are in pretty good form so perhaps a postponement wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen? 

Good point but think of the confidence boost and momentum it would give us if we could beat them.  From memory our next 4 games after Ayr are ICT,  Dundee, Morton, and  Queens Park. I know ICT follow Ayr but haven't checked the 'order of play' for the other games.

We surely can't avoid them all because they are in good form.

Anyway I had a dream last night that we would win all 5 of the above games.

I can't see any reason why kick-offs cannot be brought forward for mid-winter Saturday games when floodlights are needed   This would save clubs money, and would allow that saving to be used forUSH if needed, thus avoiding re-scheduling fixtures, improving cashflow and possibly improving the environment.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

I can't see any reason why kick-offs cannot be brought forward for mid-winter Saturday games when floodlights are needed   This would save clubs money, and would allow that saving to be used forUSH if needed, thus avoiding re-scheduling fixtures, improving cashflow and possibly improving the environment.

That would involve common sense. Thistle v Ayr couldn’t ever possibly kick off at 12.45

1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

I'm rather surprised kick offs haven't been brought forward routinely. I don't think that at our level we'd lose attendances to telly football. In fact I'm far from convinced that 3pm Saturday kick offs are the optimum time to play football anyway.

Re our game this Saturday another thingy I didn't mention in my previous post could come into play. That's the McDiarmid factor. By that I'm referring to why Geoff Brown, then chairman of St Johnstone, didn't put USH into McDiarmid Pk when it was first opened. His thinking was that that while USH would ensure a game went ahead, a large proportion of the St J support plus many away fans would struggle with access to  the ground. Ok, that's maybe a bit extreme but with no trains and dodgy road conditions predicted for this Saturday it's a factor that should be taken into consideration on whether or not to switch on the USH. 

Point being that switching on the USH this week isn't a no brainer. it's in fact a difficult decision.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

As Stuart said on Facebook can they not place covers/sheets over the ground to stop it frosting and therefore saving having to use USH as well?

Saw somewhere that the pitch was covered but covering it won't necessarily stop it freezing. The USH will still be needed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Agreed, there are good financial and environmental benefits to be had from moving kick offs . 3pm kick offs are traditional only because Saturday was for many supporters a ½ day at work and 3pm let them finish, have a pint and get to the games. For the vast majority of clubs it would be worthwhile although I saw the ICT chairman dismissing the idea because away fans wouldn't travel to Inverness for an earlier kick off (although he didn’t say if he had approached any clubs to see if they were in favour or not)

I emailed Thistle a couple of months ago asking if moving kick off times was under consideration or being discussed with other teams in the league. Still waiting for a reply.

12 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm rather surprised kick offs haven't been brought forward routinely. I don't think that at our level we'd lose attendances to telly football. In fact I'm far from convinced that 3pm Saturday kick offs are the optimum time to play football anyway.

Is it not the other way round ? Telly doesn't want games on at the same time to protect their audience figures.

Hard to imagine that there will be general agreement to play all matches at an earlier time in winter, but there is nothing to prevent clubs reaching mutual agreement to play particular fixtures at an earlier time.  Maybe even the dunderheids at the SPFL might be persuaded that it's in their best interests, and they could cite environmental reasons to cover their backs.