Thistle v Ayr, Saturday 17th December

thebiglemon

Thought Brownlie looked to be getting back to his best today, think he won everything in the air and Muirhead was strong too, contributing to Sneddon having not  much to do. Turner seems to be on a run of form, Milne again causing opposition defences a problem (and helping partly fill the absence of Tiffoney), and Lawless again clever in his play. Thought Fitzpatrick was much better today. 
If we can do some business in January would be great to trade the likes of Smith, Mullen and Akinola for something better. 

That was an enjoyable game tho' it had a rather nail biting end. Our frailties were still obvious enough but an improved team effort with at least four very good individual performances. For once I think we were unlucky not to convert one or two of our chances as opposed to being guilty of squandering them. Two very good Ayr goals but Akinyemi shouldn't have been given so much space. He's the one Ayr player that warrants close marking at all times. Their second goal may look similar in terms of giving space to the player but I thought we were far less culpable with that one.

Ayr midfielders give far more protection to their defence than we do to ours. That's not a criticism of our individual midfielders as such. Just that lack of dig in front of our back four and  probably the prime reason we had that nail biting last ten minutes or so.

Best performance in a long time. Milne was outstanding, absolutely love the guy. Pressure was on Fitzpatrick to put in a good performance and he finally put one in, hopefully gets a bit of confidence from that and kicks on. 

One of Banzos best performances of the season. Still not sure what McKinnon offers so would be keen for us to bring in another midfielder in January. 

Get a result on Friday and we can get our season back on track. 

27 minutes ago, johnkebab71 said:

Best performance in a long time. Milne was outstanding, absolutely love the guy. Pressure was on Fitzpatrick to put in a good performance and he finally put one in, hopefully gets a bit of confidence from that and kicks on. 

One of Banzos best performances of the season. Still not sure what McKinnon offers so would be keen for us to bring in another midfielder in January. 

Get a result on Friday and we can get our season back on track. 

Fitzpatrick put in several decent performances at beginning of season.  Had went on a bad run (not only one) but people think he is still young 

Cracking game. We owned the first nine minutes and then conceded. I thought here we go. Real character showed through. A few weeks ago we'd have lost that. Fitzpatrick was excellent. (Milne will go in the January window. Better teams than us must be looking at him.) Disappointing crowd.

Edited by belfastjag

46 minutes ago, belfastjag said:

Cracking game. We owned the first nine minutes and then conceded. I thought here we go. Real character showed through. A few weeks ago we'd have lost that. Fitzpatrick was excellent. (Milne will go in the January window. Better teams than us must be looking at him.) Disappointing crowd.

Worth noting that Milne still has a year and a half on his contract- it would need to be an exceptional amount for us to sell him.  We could in theory have him in a years time going into the January window with 6 months on his contract and have a healthy bidding war break out.  Though I would love us to have persuaded him to sign an extension by then

Interesting to read  from people that were at the game today that Brownlie and Fitzy put in  good performances this week....they were both pretty average against Cove last week. The former was a bomb scare.

Always thought both were decent  players but for some reason were performing below par.

Turned a corner when the rest of team step up maybe?

8 hours ago, Aberdeenjag said:

Interesting to read  from people that were at the game today that Brownlie and Fitzy put in  good performances this week....they were both pretty average against Cove last week. The former was a bomb scare.

Always thought both were decent  players but for some reason were performing below par.

Turned a corner when the rest of team step up maybe?

Perhaps the resolution of off field matters has settled some of the players ?

First game back at Firhill since the pandemic.  What a stotter!  We could have scored another 2 or 3 goals before the break, but the commitment from all the players was outstanding.  Two fantastic Ayr goals.  Unfair to single out players for praise, but cannot argue with MOTM choice. 

Edited by eljaggo

11 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Nice to see a young player debuting. 
McKenzie looked fast, strong and skillful in the last 20.

Where did he come from?

Stepped up from the Weir Academy, played against East Kilbride in a pre-season friendly  in 2021. Also loaned out to Petershill.  Profile in The Thistle  Archive below. 

Screenshot_20221219_081810_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Remember when we used to sing

“We all dream of a team of Brian Hodge

Number 1 is Brian Hodge, Number 2 is Brian Hodge” etc

Harry Milne is that good in every department of the game that while I would reserve Number 1 for the goal scoring threat that is Jamie Sneddon, I would happily have Harry playing all positions from Numbers 2 to 11 inclusive.

He is even the best at interviews. In fact I think that he should go straight on to the Working Group as well!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 10:59 PM, belfastjag said:

Apologies for being pedantic but there are no better teams than the Jags. Just football clubs that have more money.  We will prove in this league when all our injured players return and get match fit.

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Apologies for being pedantic but there are no better teams than the Jags. Just football clubs that have more money.  We will prove in this league when all our injured players return and get match fit.

I'll be even more pedantic and suggest that there may be no better group of players. I doubt our mangers ability to turn them into the best team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'll be even more pedantic and suggest that there may be no better group of players. I doubt our mangers ability to turn them into the best team.

They just beat the top of the league team, so presumably the manager played some part in that. We all know your view of the manager, even ironically after good wins. Its almost as if you don't enjoy our wins.....

8 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

They just beat the top of the league team, so presumably the manager played some part in that. We all know your view of the manager, even ironically after good wins. Its almost as if you don't enjoy our wins.....

Or you could read it as 2 league wins in 9. One win doesn’t give me much confidence