Fans setting off flares

Rid Skwerr

One at the Inverness game and two up at Cove.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea and reeks of OF neddery?

At Cove, one ended up on the track and burned an advertising board, and maybe the fake grass.

The other seemed to stay inside the shed it was let off in, with smoke filling the shed.

Unnecessary and potentially dangerous, and I'd like to see our support drop the idea.

• Like 4

Been very impressed with the younger element of the support these days. So, always assuming they were responsible, perhaps it just goes with the territory? 

That said I don't like the idea of the Club (us) regularly forking out to repair damaged plastic pitches. Guessing that's more than an incidental cost. Could be pricey.

No Rid, you're not alone. I believe flares are a prohibited item in football grounds as well as easily being dangerous to people and property. 

Early education to those carrying is essential. I would urge the new board and  fans to call out those involved and nip this in the bud.

• Like 1

Pyrotechnics are part of the match day atmosphere for most well-supported clubs in Scotland and throughout Europe. Only in Scotland is it dismissed as ‘neddery’.

The young team at Firhill are trying their best to catch up with teams like St Mirren, St Johnstone, and even Dunfermline - all of whom are miles ahead of us in the fan scene.

With the amount of greetin-faced old men and snobs in our support, I don’t envy them. 

Some of the punters on this thread would be better off at the rugby.

• Haha 1

There, surely, better ways to create atmosphere and show support for your team than setting fire to stuff.

In what way are the clubs you mention way ahead of us in the fan scene?

I only attend Thistle games, so I don't know what wonderful and advanced things these fans have brought to the terraces.

I mean, St Johnstone? Really?

They set fire to their sweetie papers or their traveling rugs , maybe?

I know Bradford City wasn't started by a flare, but I'd dread to witness such a catastrophy at a Jags game.

In my view, it doesn't add much to the spectacle and just doesn't seem worth the risk.

• Like 1

Always strikes me as a bit desperate that Motherwell and St Johnstone (as examples) sanction the positioning of their "wee boys" areas closest to the opposition fans in the misguided belief that it creates some kind of spurious "atmosphere" (aka shouty/mock/comedy aggression) but if they think it works for them, then so be it.