January window

Big Dan

2 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Well, five different scorers in the last match shows that we've got the firepower.

For me it's the lack of shut-outs this season that is more troublesome.

Sure, it may suit us to settle down with some more "playing time" and a more consistent defensive line-up, but will any replacements be those we need?

That’s what happens when your goalie is up scoring too :getmecoat:

Several players have stepped up to the mark and suddenly become fitter. It’s amazing what a transfer window can do!

But we need a defensive mid like the guy QP have from Palace. Probably a CB also because we’ve had a weakness there and I don’t fully trust Aero or Brownlie. 

And a number 10! Who doesn’t need one of them?

If Graham plays every week like he did vs Caley we don’t need a striker.

Tunji and Smith and possibly Mullin to be moved on. Don’t know how good Stanway and Lyon are because we ain’t seen them.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

Several players have stepped up to the mark and suddenly become fitter. It’s amazing what a transfer window can do!

But we need a defensive mid like the guy QP have from Palace. Probably a CB also because we’ve had a weakness there and I don’t fully trust Aero or Brownlie. 

And a number 10! Who doesn’t need one of them?

If Graham plays every week like he did vs Caley we don’t need a striker.

Tunji and Smith and possibly Mullin to be moved on. Don’t know how good Stanway and Lyon are because we ain’t seen them.

Mullin has shown he is capable of coming off the bench and scoring.  If he is willing to realise he is only likely to be a sub and is happy to stay then it makes complete sense to keep him

According to the club website we have 7 players signed beyond the end of the season. With a squad of approximately 21 players excluding youngsters that’s a lot out of contract soon. If we were guaranteed championship football next season perhaps another 8 might be offered terms, but if we got promoted (ok, being optimistic) then it would require significant changes.

I imagine always a difficult window for any manager who doesn’t have a ready made squad of say 12 players or more for the top league.

Looks like another one of your youngsters (U15s I believe) will be moving on:

Celtic are closing in on the signing of Scotland youth international Hayden Borland as they look set to land the Partick Thistle youngster.

Celtic made an approach to Thistle to speak to Borland last month and now look to have beaten off stiff competition to land him.

Borland has previously been on trial at Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur were also watching his situation closely.

Celtic would have to pay compensation to Thistle if Borland moves to Celtic and eventually goes on to sign professional forms.

17 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Celtic are closing in on the signing of Scotland youth international Hayden Borland as they look set to land the Partick Thistle youngster.

Celtic made an approach to Thistle to speak to Borland last month and now look to have beaten off stiff competition to land him.

Borland has previously been on trial at Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur were also watching his situation closely.

Celtic would have to pay compensation to Thistle if Borland moves to Celtic and eventually goes on to sign professional forms.

It would be nice if we could hang on to our emerging talent. The two or three that have made the step up have not disappointed when getting the opportunity for the first team. One or to more having the chance would be pleasing. 

My nephew had a mate who moved from Thistle to Celtic aged 14.  Not sure if there was any comp but Celtic dangled trips overseas especially USA, competition against European teams & 4 hrs training a day at St Ninians Kirkintilloch to increase his coaching hours so you can undersrand why kids move no matter how frustrating it is for us as fans.  Now is it better long term especially for getting chances in first team is the big question.

5 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

On a similar subject. Anyone heard anything lately re Aiden McGinlay?

44 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

On a similar subject. Anyone heard anything lately re Aiden McGinlay?

Not since it was reported in the media that West Ham were looking at him. It was also reported around the same time that Watford were one of several clubs looking at a young striker of ours - Sallu Turay.

It appears we are producing good young players but as bigger clubs can take a chance spending, to them, a small amount on potential we are nor getting to see them in the first team.

• Like 1

From Jagszone prematch with IMC:

Ben Stanway going to Airdrie on loan. Akinola been told he doesn’t have a future at Firhill. Weston likely to go back to Rangers and go on loan elsewhere where he might get more game time although IMC wants to keep him on loan til the end of the season. Wants to extend Hodson’s loan to end of season.

Maybe leaves space for two or three max incoming? 

I saw that on FB but wasn't sure of the source. I like wee Tony, full of energy and always looking for the ball, but not sure he'll get game time with us. He's got bags of potential that's for sure.

It also quoted he maybe can't afford to keep Hodson, but he's hardly set the the heather on fire or played that many games so not sure why McCall's so keen on him. Nothing mentioned about Smith which is a shame as he is just not worked out for us and it would be better for both parties if he moved on.

A year ago, Akinola was a decent prospect and looked fairly solid. He never recovered from that harsh red card against Airdrie. You wonder how in that time he regressed rather than improved. 

A strong central midfielder (as has been mentioned) that Queens Park have on loan needs to be our priority along with a central defender. 

I hope that we dont get ourselves into the same position like we did last season with Rudden with some of our players out of contract.

5 hours ago, MonehJags said:

A year ago, Akinola was a decent prospect and looked fairly solid. He never recovered from that harsh red card against Airdrie. You wonder how in that time he regressed rather than improved. 

A strong central midfielder (as has been mentioned) that Queens Park have on loan needs to be our priority along with a central defender. 

I hope that we dont get ourselves into the same position like we did last season with Rudden with some of our players out of contract.

Did Akinola not take Covid as well about December 2021. For all we know he could be struggling partly with long covid all this time.

I have heard of people taking covid in the first wave in 2020 still not feeling fully recovered from long covid

I think that the club's backroom team would have determined by now whether the drop in Akinola's form was possibly due to long covid. I thought he looked a great prospect when he first arrived, but the more I watched the highlights of our games, the more I thought that he looked indecisive in going into tackles and that he almost never looked to create anything from defence...... even though the opportunity was there. A lack of control of first touches was part of that.

I'd give him another couple of chances, but if he goes in (or out of) the window, then so be it.

Unless it's phrased differently it's far from certain that Tunji will be away this month. He has been told he doesn't have a future at Firhill but he may want to see out his contract. Understandable if he wants to return south but can't find a suitable club. Trust for both parties that's not the case.

Hopefully young Ben gets sufficient game time at Airdrie. Prefer to see younger players going out on loan first half of the season when I feel they'll be more assured of game time. So for that very reason it's understandable that Weston will be offski. Personally I prefer to see pacy players coming on as a sub against tiring defences as opposed to our usual array of experienced journeymen forwards. If we can be assured that Tiffoney will return at full fitness and Fitzpatrick will maintain his current form then Weston leaving would be a no brainer. 

To say Hodson has been uninspiring would be an understatement but he slots into a few positions. So maybe for that alone he'd be worth hanging onto. Still believe a no nonsense ball winner in defensive midfield is crucial. That one signing with maybe two players leaving to neutralise cost could make all the difference.

Christie Elliott and James Craigen both had loan spells at lower league clubs and came back to make significant contributions. 

You could argue that Chris Erskine was loaned to Dundee United for 3 seasons (with a brief recall in the second half of the first season)!

Not quite the same, but I think that Paul Cairney was signed and then immediately loaned back to Queen Park for a season, before becoming a very important player for us.

Finally, the exception. Kevin Nisbet had several loan spells with variable success, and became a very good player,but unfortunately not for Thistle (nor even for Thistle's benefit).

Edited by partickthedog
spelling of very!