January window

Big Dan

3 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Just get rid of him. If we get some cash, then it's a win, win situation.  But, I wouldn't give McCall any resources to waste in the next 2 days. 

Smiths' contract is up in May so if he does go out on loan or another club signs him it means we don't have to pay as much of the remainder of his contract. Don't see anyone paying a fee for him.

On the other side if he goes we are starting to look light in numbers. Without Smith we would have 18 first team players. Add to that Tiffoney has barely been fit and we are probably going to have to rely heavily on the youngsters.

McKenzie looks like the backup winger, Diack 4th choice striker and Lyon 5th choice midfielder. However I don't think we have any young centre-backs so I can understand why McCall wants another defender in.

4 minutes ago, laukat said:

Smiths' contract is up in May so if he does go out on loan or another club signs him it means we don't have to pay as much of the remainder of his contract. Don't see anyone paying a fee for him.

On the other side if he goes we are starting to look light in numbers. Without Smith we would have 18 first team players. Add to that Tiffoney has barely been fit and we are probably going to have to rely heavily on the youngsters.

McKenzie looks like the backup winger, Diack 4th choice striker and Lyon 5th choice midfielder. However I don't think we have any young centre-backs so I can understand why McCall wants another defender in.

I think we can forget top four and we should have enough about us to avoid relegation. Bin McCall and let new manager work to settle in for next season.

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Looks like this information was from 27th January and nothing appears to have materialised since then.  Plus smith was apparently injured at the weekend 

Only really posted it as it gave some more detail on the player McCall mentioned as potentially leaving

With the lack of activity this window, Akinola plus possibly Smith leaving I do wonder if McCall has been told his target is playoffs plus changing the shape of the squad from 21 experienced pro's to 18 experienced pro's and youth team players making up the difference?

That would pretty much what most other championship clubs do bar Dundee and Queens Park.  Its also historically been more of a fit for our finances in this division. 

In that context extending contracts of the one's we want to keep becomes more important. Also means we can't afford to offer contracts to players who can't prove their fitness so maybe some hard decisions on Tiffoney and Graham coming up? 

I'm a tad confused if as hinted we're bringing in a defender on loan to bolster the squad. Obviously the guy in question has to be better than Akinola otherwise there was no point in letting Tunji go. Altho' they both played poorly on Saturday our centreback pairing of Muirhead and Holt are steady enough, compared to other areas of the team. Brownlie has improved fitness wise and at worst he's an adequate first reserve centreback. Plus McMillan can offer stop gap cover.

The bit I don't get is why a club would loan out a player who could be destined to sit on the bench, maybe not even that. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm a tad confused if as hinted we're bringing in a defender on loan to bolster the squad. Obviously the guy in question has to be better than Akinola otherwise there was no point in letting Tunji go. Altho' they both played poorly on Saturday our centreback pairing of Muirhead and Holt are steady enough, compared to other areas of the team. Brownlie has improved fitness wise and at worst he's an adequate first reserve centreback. Plus McMillan can offer stop gap cover.

The bit I don't get is why a club would loan out a player who could be destined to sit on the bench, maybe not even that. 

Brownlie is injured- no idea how long out for

1 hour ago, JAG1970 said:

"It feels great. When I heard that the Gaffer wanted me in, I was delighted to get the opportunity to play for such a big club and in a very good league as well."

Think the lad was given a script- who says we don’t have good coaches at Firhill! 

Definitely scripted to say "Thistle" rather than "Partick"!