Thistle rejects on the scoresheet today

Albert's Ghost

40 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

NIsbet (2), Penrice (2), McGinty, Sammon(2), Barjonas, Lyons, Reilly(2), Wilson

and that's just in Scotland!

Penrice wasn't a reject. He moved on freedom of contract. He must be raging that he is scoring in a team sitting 4th in the top league rather than 4th in the Championship. 

9 hours ago, partickthedog said:

On a similar theme I happened to notice that former Thistle legend David Amoo played a starring role in the FA Cup last weekend in Stevenage’s victory over a Premier League team (Aston Villa?). It was his wing wizardry which forced the corner from which the winning goal was scored.

I read that too. Amoo was a strange player with us. He had lightening speed but rarely if ever did I see him employ that pace. For a wide player he scored a good few goals initially for us. Tho' there may be an exception, I thought they relied on his positioning rather than his speed.

I see David's played a barrowload of League Two fixtures since leaving us. I don't know how League Two compares in quality to our top tier. I suspect tho' his spell with us may not be the highlight of his career.    

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I read that too. Amoo was a strange player with us. He had lightening speed but rarely if ever did I see him employ that pace. For a wide player he scored a good few goals initially for us. Tho' there may be an exception, I thought they relied on his positioning rather than his speed.

I see David's played a barrowload of League Two fixtures since leaving us. I don't know how League Two compares in quality to our top tier. I suspect tho' his spell with us may not be the highlight of his career.    

I beg to differ, any players spell with us is the highlight of their career. :thumbsup2:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

All agreed. In his first season he scored a lot of close range finishes with feet and head. Knack of being in the right place at the right time. The only exception was his length of the pitch run to make safe a 2-0 victory at Firhill (cannot remember the opponents). That goal was famous for Stevie Lawless' epic decoy run.

Another strange aspect for a winger was that he did not move at all when a throw in was being taken in the attacking half on his side. Most wingers run back and forth, looking for space or at least giving options. He just stood stock still. I do not know if he was "obeying orders" and whether it was a "double bluff" to fool the opposition.

His most memorable piece of genuine wing wizardry was the sudden twist back to wrongfoot the St Johnstone defence, followed by his cross which Abdul finished for a last minute winner at McDiarmid. Strangely that was his last significant involvement and while the team surged towards the Top 6, he faded from view.

• Like 1

I recall David Amoo and especially his Cruyff Turn against St Johnstone.

I also recall a game v Ross County which we lost 1-0 to miss out on a top 6 finish when he 'sauntered up and down the wing all day doing nothing very much.

Was glad we got rid of him because his attitude wasn't good if that game was an accurate measure.

I was sorry we let Aziz go as I felt there definitely was a player in there.

39 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I was sorry we let Aziz go as I felt there definitely was a player in there.

He's had a rather uneventful career since he left us, which kinda suggests he shouldn't really have been missed. I just think Ade might have benefitted from playing another season with us. A bit of continuity rather than jumping from club to club and never settling. We effectively replaced Azeez with Miles Storey and I never thought he was in any way an improvement.    

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

He's had a rather uneventful career since he left us, which kinda suggests he shouldn't really have been missed. I just think Ade might have benefitted from playing another season with us. A bit of continuity rather than jumping from club to club and never settling. We effectively replaced Azeez with Miles Storey and I never thought he was in any way an improvement.    

Totally random thought, but "Miles Storey" would be a great name for a biography of the late Roger Bannister 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Using a bit of licence by extending the weekend a couple of days and giving credence to the Glasgow Cup, but Tony Weston could be added to the list of ex player/scorers.  He got a goal in what appears a bit of a romp against one of his old sides. :angry: 

And our captain managed to get a red card 🤬

2 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Does this have ramifications?

I would expect so, it might depend on the offence. Some on Facebook think he’s suspended already for Saturday after being sent off v Kelty but I thought he served a 2 league match ban afterwards.

2 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Does this have ramifications?

Only in the sense that he will be suspended for the next Glasgow Cup tie. 

He's suspended for Saturday as a result of his red card against Kelty Hearts for violent conduct which carries a two game ban - one game immediate(served v Cove Rangers) and one game in the competition he received it in, which will be Saturday's tie.