Dunfermline in the cup

Albert's Ghost

4 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Potential big banana skin tomorrow,need to keep it tight at the back and fluid on the flanks….midfield a big worry without Doc .

Said earlier in the week that the only thing separating the two sides could be home advantage. Dunfermline's recent form is too good to dismiss. Ours not so good unless you focus solely on our home form.

Midfield is a worry even when Docherty plays but agree it's a bigger worry without him. Hopefully the Pars don't have too much strength attacking thru the middle but I'd stick Hodson into defensive mid in any case.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Am I just making this up, but in recent years have we not had a disproportionate number of Scottish Cup ties against Dunfermline, Dundee United and Hearts?

Not so sure about Hearts and Dundee Utd  but think your correct about Dunfermline.. I recall in my younger days playing (and losing to) Dunfermline was almost an annual event or at least it seemed like that.

More recently we have been able to beat them. I share the sentiments about the vulnerability of our midfield plus the Fifer's current form - that are running away with League 1. They also have some good players and I have always liked Wighton. Even without Lawless and Docherty I think we should have enough to win this tie. We are getting back on track after our poor run and the wins against ICT, Ayr and Morton give us some momentum going into this Cup tie.

I will go for 3-1 the Jags.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Am I just making this up, but in recent years have we not had a disproportionate number of Scottish Cup ties against Dunfermline, Dundee United and Hearts?

Thistle have played 348 Scottish Cup ties involving a total of 77 different teams. Hearts (15), Dundee United (12) and Dunfermline (11) total 38 of these matches. They represent only 4% of the teams we have played but 11% of the matches played. Hearts have knocked us out of the cup 9 times, Dunfermline 8 times and Dundee United 5 times.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Thistle have played 348 Scottish Cup ties involving a total of 77 different teams. Hearts (15), Dundee United (12) and Dunfermline (11) total 38 of these matches. They represent only 4% of the teams we have played but 11% of the matches played. Hearts have knocked us out of the cup 9 times, Dunfermline 8 times and Dundee United 5 times.

Thank you. Brilliant information. Looks like my vague impression was correct. I was thinking of the past few years, but it would appear that the same pattern has been playing itself out for generations.

The Dunfermline stats are not encouraging, especially as our latest matchwinner (Ross Docherty) cannot play.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

No Graham today , what's up Doc.

Strong looking Dunfermline team and Jags without Docherty, Lawless and Graham. Our midfield looks really weak. I think I would have gone for a 4-4-2  formation with Dowds upfront with Mullin and either Fitzpatrick or Tiffoney on the bench depending on form and fitness.

What's wrong with Graham and Lawless?

I think we really need to get the first goal. 

Just now, partickthedog said:

Mullin really poor and Turner and even Milne not quite on it. Presumably Dowds comes on. What other options do we have? Might have been handy to have had Weston. 

Banzo and McMillan only pass marks for me. No idea what happened for the penalty. 

Harry isn't having his best game for sure. For me , we need Dowds on no matter what. No one is pressurising their defence through the middle.

Just now, Stephen1876 said:

Our pressure on the ball is awful and has been all season. Lost count of the number of times that one player put good pressure on but no one cut off the out ball - far too easy to play through. 

What a save that was from Sneddon at 0-0 

Agreed. Superb save. Total goalkeeper instinct that one. After that wobble at the start of the season, Sneddon has been great.

• Like 1