Dunfermline in the cup

Albert's Ghost

Well at least we were good at penalties.

At the beginning of the season, I thought we had a strong squad but have long since realised that we don't...without key players we are quite ordinary. It was clear we would miss Graham, Lawless and Docherty...Tiffoney & Fitzpatrick went off then McMillan & Banzo...Milne has a poor game and Turner wasn't great either. Maybe it wasn't surprising that we never really looked like scoring. Dunfermline did well in denying us space and had more possession but fortunately didn't have a cutting edge.

Sneddon was very alert, pulled off an outstanding save in the first half and again in the shoot-out. I guess in a Cup Game all that matters is going through.

My biggest concern is that Sylvia by Focus seems to be dropped as the final pre-game tune...even worse it was replaced by some ear-bleeding racket by AC/DC. If that is a permanent switch, I will be turning up late for games.

9 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Well at least we were good at penalties.

At the beginning of the season, I thought we had a strong squad but have long since realised that we don't...without key players we are quite ordinary. It was clear we would miss Graham, Lawless and Docherty...Tiffoney & Fitzpatrick went off then McMillan & Banzo...Milne has a poor game and Turner wasn't great either. Maybe it wasn't surprising that we never really looked like scoring. Dunfermline did well in denying us space and had more possession but fortunately didn't have a cutting edge.

Sneddon was very alert, pulled off an outstanding save in the first half and again in the shoot-out. I guess in a Cup Game all that matters is going through.

My biggest concern is that Sylvia by Focus seems to be dropped as the final pre-game tune...even worse it was replaced by some ear-bleeding racket by AC/DC. If that is a permanent switch, I will be turning up late for games.

I agree with all of that and especially the last paragraph. Sylvia by Focus is an essential part of the Firhill experience and has to be given top billing in any playlist

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Thistle have played 348 Scottish Cup ties involving a total of 77 different teams. Hearts (15), Dundee United (12) and Dunfermline (11) total 38 of these matches. They represent only 4% of the teams we have played but 11% of the matches played. Hearts have knocked us out of the cup 9 times, Dunfermline 8 times and Dundee United 5 times.

Thanks AFK.

How many times have we  knock these 3 out of the cup including todays win? No hurry just when you can manage.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Do we get any money for getting through this round or is it just gate money ?

I don’t know but I would have thought so - maybe not a lot but something at least and presently we are looking for every pound we get.

I would be very surprised if there’s not money per round as there definitely is in the league cup

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Do we get any money for getting through this round or is it just gate money ?

Prize money gets paid to teams when they get knocked out (or after the final for thise 2 teams). By winning today we get to the same stage as last season so even if we get knocked out we will get the same prize money for this competition as last season.

17 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I agree with all of that and especially the last paragraph. Sylvia by Focus is an essential part of the Firhill experience and has to be given top billing in any playlist

Agree 100 percent. I don't think there is another club anywhere which comes on to the pitch to 70s Dutch prog. 

31 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

If Sylvia is not playing, I’ll be in a huff.

Still, at least it’s not Sylvia’s Mother. 

Edited by sandy
  • Haha 1

We were very poor in the first half. To many players off form. We kept putting the ball into the box, but nobody was there. Mullen who imo should've been there wasn't. He also should've done a lot better than hit the side netting when their goalie and a defender got in a mix up and the ball ran free. We improved in the second and scored a good goal. For the rest of the game including extra time we struggled to make any chances. The penalties on the other hand was a masterclass from Thistle. 4 Well taken penalties from us and a good save from Sneddon to deny them, think his moving about on the line also put off the first taker and his hit the bar and went over. Onwards to the next round.  

• Thanks 1