Dunfermline in the cup

Albert's Ghost

5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

According to the ever reliable BBC, Breen was taken out by Hodson for the penalty 

I was in the John Lambie stand and have no clue why they got a pen. I asked a few others and most did not know either, although somebody did say for a push on one of their players in the box. I will be watching the BBC highlights tonight, although i wonder if it will be the usual 30 seconds or so coverage of a Thistle cup game.

Before leaving for Firhill i watched the first half of the Celtic/Morton game and Celtic's penalty was ridiculous, so nothing surprises me.

• Like 1

In hospitality Muirhead said the ref gave the pen against him for holding the pars guy back even though initial contact/foul was outside the box and he fell inside. Went on to say he told the referee this but “they don’t listen do they”.

We were terrible and Dunfermline couldn’t beat us after being given a penalty head start. Shoot out was probably the best way to end that game and pretty pleased with the way our takers and keeper went about it.

41 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Just watched the brief highlights ( if you can call them that).

How Dunfermline didn't win that with the sitters they missed.

Still. Into the next round with our weak squad.

Genuine question as you always have plenty to say. How often do you see games in person? We were absolute crap today so not defending us in any way but ‘highlights’ don’t always tell the full story

2 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Genuine question as you always have plenty to say. How often do you see games in person? We were absolute crap today so not defending us in any way but ‘highlights’ don’t always tell the full story

If you read my post again, you will see I referred to the sitters Dunfermline missed, which, particularly the one in extra time, would have won them the game. Nowhere did I relate to the overall game.

36 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

If you read my post again, you will see I referred to the sitters Dunfermline missed, which, particularly the one in extra time, would have won them the game. Nowhere did I relate to the overall game.

Never answered my question. 

When your team kicks off by passing backwards and giving away a corner in less than 10 seconds, you're justified in thinking that it could be a tough afternoon. And so it was, but it's a big "Well done!" to all the players and the manager for making it into the next round. Outfought, out-thought, and basically overrun in midfield by some excellent Dunfermline players, the team defended really well and even created a good few chances themselves (or half chances, as our final ball was often so disappointing). Right down to the subs, everybody did a job, and even if there were no individually "brilliant" displays, despite so many poor first touches and -- it has to be said -- some terrible passes, they all plugged away, somehow held out until the end of extra time, and produced a string of excellent penalties in the shoot-out.

It felt good not to feel disappointed at the end of a cup game vs. the Pars!

'Monra Thistle!

12 minutes ago, QXBoy said:

I agree that is very likely but just imagine if Drumchapel United could beat Elgin - maybe an away tie at Lochburn!

There are a few decent draws left. Falkirk, Hamilton or the winner of Elgin v Drumchapel would give us a fighting chance for progress. Celtic or Rangers for the cash.

I will bet on United or Queens Park or Inverness or Ayr away.

Most players seem to shrug off or even thrive on criticism from supporters of teams they used to play for. However, Kyle Turner appeared to let if affect him and was off form (apart from nailing his penalty-credit to him for that).

Just wondered why he was so severely targeted. Did he play badly, leave badly, not try, or make negative comments about the club?

Generally players who put in a decent shift for Thistle and show a bit of respect, Stevie Lawless would be an example, have had no problems on return. The opposite has been true for, say, Paul Paton and Scott Fox, who made ill-judged comments, or Adam Barton and Abdul Osman who let previous high standards slip in their final season.

On another note I forced myself to watch sportscene last night having been out all day and not knowing the scores. First time I’ve watched it for years. A depressing experience. Half the games played on non grass. Games with basically no one there. Appalling quality of football. A team with a few hundred home fans and 3 stands of away support. Commentary that sounded like it was done as some sort of 5th year media studies project. The level of football in this country is appalling 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Thanks AFK.

How many times have we  knock these 3 out of the cup including todays win? No hurry just when you can manage.

Cheers

Hearts = 1 in 15 (1921)

Dundee Utd = 6 in 12 (1925, 27, 30, 48, 50, 60)

Dunfermline = 3 in 12 ( 2008, 21, 23). 

In case anyone is interested...

Celtic 0 in 11, Rangers 2 in 18 (1887 and 1921)

48 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Hearts = 1 in 15 (1921)

Dundee Utd = 6 in 12 (1925, 27, 30, 48, 50, 60)

Dunfermline = 3 in 12 ( 2008, 21, 23). 

In case anyone is interested...

Celtic 0 in 11, Rangers 2 in 18 (1887 and 1921)

Could be wrong, but I’m sure I recall beating Celtic in one of the other cups.

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Most players seem to shrug off or even thrive on criticism from supporters of teams they used to play for. However, Kyle Turner appeared to let if affect him and was off form (apart from nailing his penalty-credit to him for that).

Just wondered why he was so severely targeted. Did he play badly, leave badly, not try, or make negative comments about the club?

Generally players who put in a decent shift for Thistle and show a bit of respect, Stevie Lawless would be an example, have had no problems on return. The opposite has been true for, say, Paul Paton and Scott Fox, who made ill-judged comments, or Adam Barton and Abdul Osman who let previous high standards slip in their final season.

Not the best person to answer this but I seem to mind Kyle rejected re-signing offers and stated he definitely wanted to leave the Pars. It was a case of Dunfermline (probably also their fans) wanted him to stay. 

• Thanks 1

A poor game right enough and we didn’t play well. Underlined again the lack of strength in depth in our squad with just 3 key players missing.

I’d be happy with an away tie against either of the ugly sisters for the money, can’t see this team going far in the cup.

But good to see Tiff getting 60 mins and Sneddon had a couple of great reflex saves in the game plus his penalty save. 
Should have started with the penalty shoot out and let us away early!

4 hours ago, QXBoy said:

I agree that is very likely but just imagine if Drumchapel United could beat Elgin - maybe an away tie at Lochburn!

We all know who'll get the lowest ranked team in the Cup in the draw. Most likely at home, as the capacity is too small at their grounds.

It's at this time that we get an away tie in the north east, so expect Aberdeen or Dundee United.

A home tie versus any beatable team or away to Celtic or Rangers would do for me though.