Scottish cup draw

Looks like we dodged a bullet drawing Rangers and avoiding Darvel - at least until the quarter finals.

Great result for Darvel especially as I don't like Aberdeen. The Jags and Aberdeen used to be good pals when the Reid  and Donald Famiies respectively owned the Club's.  No longer though.

If Darvel can beat Aberdeen then we can beat Rangers.

Anyone vote for Jim Goodwin to become Jags Manager when IMC retires??

When I'm in Scotland and Thistle are away from home I try to take in  Darvel games. The WOSFL is a much higher standard than I ever imagined and Darvel  stand out in it. Every week they play as they did last night. They would give many Championship teams a game. They are a friendly club in a friendly town, and I was very pleased to be there last night. Aberdeen were pretty poor

How much do we reckon we'll get from this game and should McCall be allowed to pish it away on loan duds and journeymen only to get pumped in the playoffs?
A very conservative calculation would be,

Ave £25 per ticket x 40,000 (37,000 at home to Stirling Albion last year) = £1,000,000

SFA take their 5% (50K) 
Rangers take their 20% expenses (200K)

By the calculations on the back of ma fag packet I make that half of 750K so £312,500 to Thistle after we've paid the VAT man.

10 hours ago, belfastjag said:

When I'm in Scotland and Thistle are away from home I try to take in  Darvel games. The WOSFL is a much higher standard than I ever imagined and Darvel  stand out in it. Every week they play as they did last night. They would give many Championship teams a game. They are a friendly club in a friendly town, and I was very pleased to be there last night. Aberdeen were pretty poor

So we don’t want to get Darvel in quarter finals then?  😁

10 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

How much do we reckon we'll get from this game and should McCall be allowed to pish it away on loan duds and journeymen only to get pumped in the playoffs?
A very conservative calculation would be,

Ave £25 per ticket x 40,000 (37,000 at home to Stirling Albion last year) = £1,000,000

SFA take their 5% (50K) 
Rangers take their 20% expenses (200K)

By the calculations on the back of ma fag packet I make that half of 750K so £312,500 to Thistle after we've paid the VAT man.

Based on nothing more than general patter but I suspect the finances are at a level where this unanticipated income will not be used to bolster the playing squad. Perhaps we'll get another uninspiring loanee but only from a bigger club who'll pick up the lion's share of the costs. That imo would be neither here nor there tho' if in certain positions it could undermine one or two of our own youngsters.

Where this additional income could maybe come in handy player wise would be if it could bring forward a few contract extensions. Again it's subjective but I reckon there's a few players who have contracts up in May that we want to retain.  

I guess I'm kinda neutral re aspirations for this season. I want to see us improve on the first 60% of the season and at least attain a play off place. I'm also of a mind similar to above re our chances of progressing. I'm as always concerned that the current management set up, regardless of the quality and quantity of the squad is geared only as high as reaching the play offs. Put another way even if we did gain promotion I just can't envisage us surviving in the top tier with McCall in charge of matchday decision making.