Accies Match - 28th January

Fawlty Towers

The first of two home league games in a row. They have had a couple of good results in their last two games - beating Morton in the league and knocking Ross County out of the Cup so won't be easy.

There were over 3,000 Thistle fans at the Morton game so it would be great if we could keep up that level for the remaining home games.

For those not in the UK they can get the match streamed:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/hamilton-academical-stream-now-available-to-add-for-subscribers/

This could be a big 3 points if we can beat Hamilton.

With Dundee playing Queens Park, a game Dundee will feel is a 'must win', something has to give! Any result bar a win for  QP would be positive for us.

Wins for Cove (v Ayr), Raith (v ICT) and Arbroath (v Morton) could also be to our advantage.

I think Hamilton will be up for this game and will be keen to build on their last two results. Although we have regained our 'mojo'  in terms of recent results we haven't been impressive in terms of form.

I have a feeling this will be a difficult game and be a bit of a grind but I think we can win by the odd goal.

2-1 for the Jags

• Like 2

Our next 2 games are both at home, this game and then Cove. We need to keep our very good run of results at home going and with both of the teams we are about to face at Firhill at the wrong end of the table we need to pick up 6 points imo. It won't be easy as Hamilton will have gained confidence from their last 2 results, but i think we can win it. Thistle scoring early would help, but if Hamilton score first i think we could struggle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Accies seem to have slightly turned the corner going by recent two results whilst we ,although winning last two ,have looked less than convincing . Need Graham and Doc back….Lawless would be nice also as we looked poor on both wings last week .

Why was Fitzy so bad? He’s been brilliant in the previous few games!

The Pars game proved how much we depend on wee Stevie.

10 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Why was Fitzy so bad? He’s been brilliant in the previous few games!

The Pars game proved how much we depend on wee Stevie.

Even tho' any of the three have played in more central positions It will be unlikely we start Lawless, Tiffoney and Fitzpatrick. Agree about the Pars game, so Lawless (if fit) in my mind has to start. Gotta feeling Tiff will get the nod ahead of Aiden, which would be a hard one on the latter given his form of late. Can't see both the others playing a full 90 mins, so Fitzpatrick would still feature in the 2nd half.

Our home form is good but we've a recent history of struggling against teams that set up for a draw and who often as not land a sucker punch. Accies are in such a league position that I can't see them being happy with a point. Hopefully that leads to a more open game. Something we're better equipped at dealing with positively.

https://www.glasgowworld.com/sport/football/theres-one-or-two-other-things-on-the-go-ian-mccall-issues-partick-thistle-transfer-update-and-reaction-to-rangers-scottish-cup-draw-4003790?fbclid=IwAR0anPXqJASdlSOJwNEM651EIknA3a6VD3M_zyj71_UuoAsLZJv2RGot444

Hopefully BBG back, McKinnon and Brownlie out plus McCall has a player coming in on loan from England who is hopefully up for training today, I suppose it needs to be a defender if Tunji has left and Brownlie is injured.

Edited by jags on tour

Is this referencing Akinola leaving or are we expecting another exit? I can only really see Cammy Smith as surplus to requirements so is he the one leaving or is it one of the youngsters going out on loan?

“There is one or two other things on the go in terms of maybe someone leaving and somebody coming in,” McCall stated. “We’ll just have to wait and see. We’re close to getting one player done, it will be a loan from England.

“We’ve had two players leave the squad and that has freed up some (money) so we’re hoping the lad will be up for training today, potentially with a view to playing on Saturday. He’ll certainly be in the squad.”

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

Is this referencing Akinola leaving or are we expecting another exit? I can only really see Cammy Smith as surplus to requirements so is he the one leaving or is it one of the youngsters going out on loan?

“There is one or two other things on the go in terms of maybe someone leaving and somebody coming in,” McCall stated. “We’ll just have to wait and see. We’re close to getting one player done, it will be a loan from England.

“We’ve had two players leave the squad and that has freed up some (money) so we’re hoping the lad will be up for training today, potentially with a view to playing on Saturday. He’ll certainly be in the squad.”

Freed up some money?  A Falkirk fan told me yesterday that they were able to make 3 signings yesterday on the basis of their game against Darvel is being braodcast on TV.  Our game against Rangers is on tv, plus we will have a far far bigger gate than Darvel v Falkrik, we have received £70,000 for the sale of Nisbet, got a cash injection from TJF so i dont understand how 2 players leaving has allowed a signing which is only a loan and at least some of the other decent income we have had is not being used to make 3 or 4 signings or at the very least 2

20 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Freed up some money?  A Falkirk fan told me yesterday that they were able to make 3 signings yesterday on the basis of their game against Darvel is being braodcast on TV.  Our game against Rangers is on tv, plus we will have a far far bigger gate than Darvel v Falkrik, we have received £70,000 for the sale of Nisbet, got a cash injection from TJF so i dont understand how 2 players leaving has allowed a signing which is only a loan and at least some of the other decent income we have had is not being used to make 3 or 4 signings or at the very least 2

Maybe the falkirk fan is speculating as much as you with the £70,000 for Nisbet. Or do we get that money even though he's staying at Hibs?

20 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

As said before I'd rather see existing players re-signing than players coming in. We don't know for certain how bad our finances currently are but I for one wouldn't be surprised if they are dire.

The Nisbet transfer is off btw. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As said before I'd rather see existing players re-signing than players coming in. We don't know for certain how bad our finances currently are but I for one wouldn't be surprised if they are dire.

The Nisbet transfer is off btw. 

Indeed…who knows what chairman Low left behind..

I think we have only 7 under contract for next season just now so getting some more signed up is as much a priority as a couple of new signings 

2 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Indeed…who knows what chairman Low left behind..

I think we have only 7 under contract for next season just now so getting some more signed up is as much a priority as a couple of new signings 

Playing devil’s advocate here but the problem with the above is that if we somehow manage promotion not too many of our squad are good enough for the Premiership. I think the general impression on here is that the squad is a bit light at present so we’d need a good few better quality recruits if we were to have any hope of survival. Equally if we don’t manage promotion we’d still want to improve the squad ahead of another attempt next season which would be difficult to do if we extend the contracts of the current lot. If I were the manager I’d want to see how things were panning out nearer the end of the season before offering extensions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteppsJag said:

Playing devil’s advocate here but the problem with the above is that if we somehow manage promotion not too many of our squad are good enough for the Premiership. I think the general impression on here is that the squad is a bit light at present so we’d need a good few better quality recruits if we were to have any hope of survival. Equally if we don’t manage promotion we’d still want to improve the squad ahead of another attempt next season which would be difficult to do if we extend the contracts of the current lot. If I were the manager I’d want to see how things were panning out nearer the end of the season before offering extensions. 

Yeah, it’s a difficult balancing act but even if we were promoted there’s maybe 3-5 who are good enough (opinions differ).. Certainly agree the squad is a bit light and we do need a couple of quality signings right now, ideally players who could easily play in the premier league too.. but January is the difficult window