Accies Match - 28th January

Fawlty Towers

I agree. Time for a change. This is not just down to bad luck on the injuries front. May be the case that the cup tie money may now be spent on paying the management off. Which squad wise leaves us with what we have. Strongest 11 played regularly probably make the play offs, only because its a very poor league. 

• Like 1

One of the worst performances from a Thistle side I’ve ever seen. Yea, okay there were injuries to key players (which I suspect will be McCall’s excuse) but it was so lethargic on the pitch and in the dugout. Yet again, the substitutions were far too late and why we played with one up front for so long is beyond me.

The players aren’t beyond criticism - too many times there was no one moving into space to give an easy option for a pass. 

McCall’s out of time as far as I’m concerned. We can’t afford to keep him but we can’t afford to get rid. Poor position to be in.

First 45 was decent until we got near the 18 yard box then we just expected someone else to do something or for Hamilton to give away a penalty.

Second 45 was truly appalling from everyone.

Hamilton made 3 subs at halftime and pushed their wingers against our fullbacks which stopped them overlapping and we had no tactical answer to that. That one is the manager and coaches fault. 

However every player seemed to be wanting an extra second on the ball or 2 touches to control it. Was brutal the amount of times we got in a reasonable attacking shape and then hesitated or went sideways. 

Worst example was Bannigan in the second half had the ball come to him in the penalty box, had all the time in the world to take a shot but instead tried to pass it to Turner. Utterly bottled it.

Only positive was young Diack looked like he could cause problems. Why he didn't come on earlier is another mystery.

There is no way that team is ready for promotion but despite everything we remain only 7 points off the top. The standard of teams in this league is very poor.

• Like 1

The only positive from today is that I am now off starting the match thread duties.

Can't disagree with most of what has been said about the match. First half decent but not enough zip but after they scored we just lost any structure.

Off the field issues need resolved first which probably keeps the manager in place until the end of the season but at that point we need to have a serious look at things. What do we want to achieve, how do we go about it and who is best to deliver that?

• Like 1

I went to the game out of habit rather than enthusiasm when I saw the team line-up - so many injuries that I was actually disappointed that Cammy Smith wasn't available...and the bench filled with youngsters fresh from a 5-1 midweek drubbing from Queen of the South. I was pleasantly surprised in the first half - we totally dominated  Hamilton who played like the bottom side destined for relegation...lots of balls across the box but only one clear chance

The second half was very predictable with our defence posted missing for a simple goal. Our midfield was lacking in ability to take on defenders, make an incisive pass or take a shot. Docherty was dreadful and Milne had another very poor game. Turner was wasted out left but there weren't many options. We never looked like scoring,

Our full strength side would probably have won that game easily but without key players we are very ordinary...even then we should have been good enough to beat Hamilton...3 points would have put us in a strong position in a low standard League.

Edited by Winter of '63

17 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Utterly Clueless in the final third. Without Lawless, Tiff and Graham (frequently injured) we never look like scoring 

It’s actually becoming a replica of last transfer window in January except there’s been no signings other than the pointless extension of Hodsons contract but where Graham and so many are injured again 

We played with 3 defensive mids plus Turner. No creativity from that lot. 

McMillan and Fitz wreaked havoc for 25 minutes but either fluffed a cross or there was nobody in the box. Surely Graham would have got on to something. We desperately needed another man in the box and if young Diack is a striker he should have been on after half an hour to help Mullen.

What was the point of Hodson?

The complete lack of initiative from the management was mystifying. We threw the kitchen sink for…. 4 minutes at the end. Beyond belief.

Banzo had his best form when Docherty was injured or moronically suspended. Coincidence?

TJF now need to do some serious thinking about the best way to spend their substantial monthly income, and discuss their views with the Board if they have not already done so. 

I find the lack of transfer activity a bit surprising, especially given the extensive injury list, and the availability of TJF funds.  Perhaps though, the Club's finances are weak, and may need TJF support at current player numbers. 

The Club does seem to lack a clear sense of direction at the moment - perhaps not surprising given recent boardroom changes.  A statement from the Board would be welcome.

I hope we do not get promoted because that team is nowhere good enough to compete at a higher level .

Would get rid of McCall now and try to build a squad over the next 2 seasons with an identity and way of playing that might ( just might ) allow us to compete .

• Like 1