Accies Match - 28th January

Fawlty Towers

Terrible result against a terrible team.

Taking the pragmatic view however, I understand IM is out of contract til the end of the season.  Since we only really need 6 more points to guarantee safety (I dont think any team has been relagated with 39 points) why should we consider a move for another manager now.

I do believe a change is needed for 23-4.

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

We dominated in the first half but did not trouble their keeper. Without Graham we have nobody ruffling up the defence or attacking the ball. Second half they scored and after that they looked more likely to adding a second than we did equalising. 

Agreed. Seemed to me that Hamilton used Ali v Foreman rope a dope tactics to perfection. Not sure when they would have realised that we had so many normal first team starters out and that we had a seriously inexperienced bench unlikely to make a significant impact.

First half they battened down the hatches and offered nothing going forward. They conserved energy and let us waste ours with lots of possession but little constructive output. 

Halftine they brought on 3 fresh players. We could not reply in kind. Slowly our starting players ran out of petrol in the tank. We could not throw any telling punches. We were sent to the canvas with one blow and Hamilton”s Mercedes motored home comfortably.

Apologies for mixing my boxing and Grand Prix metaphors.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

It’s actually becoming a replica of last transfer window in January except there’s been no signings other than the pointless extension of Hodsons contract but where Graham and so many are injured again 

If he did try to sign a loan striker on Friday then I guess that was to fill for Graham. But I agree if he doesn’t pull a couple of rabbits out the hat by Tuesday night he’d be gambling big time on the fitness of Tiffoney and Graham for the remainder of the season. That would inevitably see us again stumble towards the end of the season just like last year. 

If we cannot add quality this window then I’d prefer he went with one or two of the youngsters each week and give them a chance. Our record in recent years in bringing in loan players in January has been pretty dire anyway.

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

I hope we do not get promoted because that team is nowhere good enough to compete at a higher level .

Would get rid of McCall now and try to build a squad over the next 2 seasons with an identity and way of playing that might ( just might ) allow us to compete .

100% right with your comments, just listened to MCCalls post match comments on Jagzone basically just defending himself ( should have had 2 pens , great record 13 points from 18 )

If you were at the game we were shocking , plenty of the ball first half without really creating.

Second half John Rankin nullified our wing backs , scored and it was game over.

Totally get what he says about inexperienced bench but they shouldn’t be , instead of kissing Sevco’s arse and developing their players ( Weston and McKinnon) we should be pushing our own players on to see if they can make the grade , guys like James Lyon and Zander McKenzie should be given starts to see if they can step up .

McCall has been here for the best part of 3 years  and possibly 6 transfer windows and I believe he’s been supported ably by previous BOD’s and we’re no further forward as a Club

Guys like Owen Coyle at Queens Park and even McPake at Dunfermline seem to build squads within a few transfer windows, we just seem to be plodding on.

Time for a change , even untried guys like Dools / Brian Graham should be given a shot at it .

McCall out

McCall out

McCall out

McCall out

McCall out

McCall out

McCall out

McCall out

Todays performance summed up an nutshell. Clueless, without the capability to motivate or inspire any type of performance. Jim Goodwin was heard to say "at least I'm not as bad as that dick at Maryhill". but what of the other pigeons Archibald and the other dick taking a wage out of the club. As supposed assistant managers when presented with the team sheet, never laughed as told McCall "I right"

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I thought we were the better team and looked far fitter first half.

problem is not one player looked willing to take a shot and couldn’t wait to pass the ball when we were in the box.  When opportunities came such as a couple for Danny Mullen including a golden chance with a free header it was just wide.

This January window has been a shambles and the little money he has had McCall wastes it on Hodson because he happens to cover a couple of players and no doubt because he played for Rangers.  Hodson is not going to make a difference in challenging for promotion.  If he had used sense and spent money on Shaw or Morrison we just might have got the goals that fire us up the league when Mullen and Dowds are not scoring enough.  Tiffoney and Graham injured.  Smith being a dreadful signing 

Also if there’s no money then the board need to come out and say it and not cover for Jacqui low and co

Hodson was the only player who got pass marks today.   We were totally bereft of attacking ideas.   

I think the Board will make a statement in the near future telling us how bad the financial situation is.   I think you'll find that the previous Board left our finances in a total mess and that there is very little money to strengthen the squad unless we can offload players like Cammy Smith.  

Maybe we need to reconcile ourselves to being a mid table Championship club for the next couple of seasons. 

7 hours ago, eljaggo said:

TJF now need to do some serious thinking about the best way to spend their substantial monthly income, and discuss their views with the Board if they have not already done so. 

I find the lack of transfer activity a bit surprising, especially given the extensive injury list, and the availability of TJF funds.  Perhaps though, the Club's finances are weak, and may need TJF support at current player numbers. 

The Club does seem to lack a clear sense of direction at the moment - perhaps not surprising given recent boardroom changes.  A statement from the Board would be welcome.

I think the Board will make a statement in the near future telling us how bad the financial situation is. I think you'll find that the previous Board left our finances in a total mess and that there is very little money to strengthen the squad unless we can offload players like Cammy Smith.  

5 hours ago, AirdrieJag said:

I think the Board will make a statement in the near future telling us how bad the financial situation is. I think you'll find that the previous Board left our finances in a total mess and that there is very little money to strengthen the squad unless we can offload players like Cammy Smith.  

I wish they would release the statement asap.  If true then there’s no purpose in hiding the catastrophe of the Low era and exactly what was going on or not going on to lead us to the edge of the precipice 

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I wish they would release the statement asap.  If true then there’s no purpose in hiding the catastrophe of the Low era and exactly what was going on or not going on to lead us to the edge of the precipice 

I suppose they have to work through the finances as part of the discussion about ongoing fan ownership. I trust TJF to do the right thing here, as worrying as it might seem.

Remind me again who on the previous Club Board said they didn’t need fans money? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

100% right with your comments, just listened to MCCalls post match comments on Jagzone basically just defending himself ( should have had 2 pens , great record 13 points from 18 )

If you were at the game we were shocking , plenty of the ball first half without really creating.

Totally get what he says about inexperienced bench but they shouldn’t be , instead of kissing Sevco’s arse and developing their players ( Weston and McKinnon) we should be pushing our own players on to see if they can make the grade , guys like James Lyon and Zander McKenzie should be given starts to see if they can step up .

McCall has been here for the best part of 3 years  and possibly 6 transfer windows and I believe he’s been supported ably by previous BOD’s and we’re no further forward as a Club

Guys like Owen Coyle at Queens Park and even McPake at Dunfermline seem to build squads within a few transfer windows, we just seem to be plodding on.

Time for a change , even untried guys like Dools / Brian Graham should be given a shot at it .

Agree with you. Both Lyon and McKenzie are good players. The problem is the lack of match experience for them both. If they don't get game time then they don't get the chance to develop guile or reading the game. Catch 22. Owen Coyle has shown what you can do if you coach a team and individual players properly. I've been really impressed with QP every time we've played them....they attack and defend as a team at pace. 

11 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

New manager for next season with Doolan as assistant.

• Like 2

Got to hand it to Accies for the perfect way they snatched the win. At first I really thought we were going to steamroller them, but after 15-20 minutes it became clearer that after some slick passing and eventually getting forward, our attempts at crosses were poor, and when one did go in then we were totally lacking in any kind of killer touch. The Accies manager seemed to realize that they could soak up anything we threw at them (which wasn't much), so made a triple substitution at half-time and had a go. Their goal came from a fast, direct attack through the middle. Our response?: mostly (once they've got bored with stupid, leisurely sideways passes when they should be going forward) walking-pace attempts to thread a ball towards a forward who wasn't moving, who had his back to goal, whose first touch was usually abysmal, and who had a defender right behind him. Woeful to watch, and predictable.

Even without three important players we should be able to beat teams at the bottom of the league; in fact we need to if we have any hopes of doing well. But it's actually looking hopeless. Too many bang or below average players even at this level, and that includes several fan "favourites".

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

2 hours ago, sandy said:

I suppose they have to work through the finances as part of the discussion about ongoing fan ownership. I trust TJF to do the right thing here, as worrying as it might seem.

Remind me again who on the previous Club Board said they didn’t need fans money? 

I can think of at least a couple of reasons why we won't make a statement re finance situation. Certainly nothing more than  a "We're working hard to correct things" type of release. Just because we're transitioning to a fan owned set up doesn't mean we have to make the state of our finances readily available to the public at large. 

Just as an example a player like Harry Milne could drop in transfer value. We could go from a "they don't want to sell him and would only accept silly money for him" to a "looks like they need to offload him". 

In my mind we've moved from (more accurately moving from) having little trust in the stewardship of our club to having a lot more faith. Feel that meantime we've gotta accept a few cryptic comments and read between the lines that we're not in a good place financially. 

Once again I say that extending a few contracts would be preferable to signing new players. The very fact McCall hasn't mentioned being in such negotiations is perhaps another of these read between the lines hints at the current financial state of play at Firhill.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I can think of at least a couple of reasons why we won't make a statement re finance situation. Certainly nothing more than  a "We're working hard to correct things" type of release. Just because we're transitioning to a fan owned set up doesn't mean we have to make the state of our finances readily available to the public at large. 

Just as an example a player like Harry Milne could drop in transfer value. We could go from a "they don't want to sell him and would only accept silly money for him" to a "looks like they need to offload him". 

In my mind we've moved from (more accurately moving from) having little trust in the stewardship of our club to having a lot more faith. Feel that meantime we've gotta accept a few cryptic comments and read between the lines that we're not in a good place financially. 

Once again I say that extending a few contracts would be preferable to signing new players. The very fact McCall hasn't mentioned being in such negotiations is perhaps another of these read between the lines hints at the current financial state of play at Firhill.

Although i don't disagree with what you say, i think most clubs will be aware of roughly how good/bad our finances are. For me until the announcement of how good/bad they are most will probably suspect they are bad. As you say reading between the lines and also lack of activity in the current window it doesn't look good. But we are not alone by not doing much/anything in the current window. Until the announcement all we have is rumours.

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Although i don't disagree with what you say, i think most clubs will be aware of roughly how good/bad our finances are. For me until the announcement of how good/bad they are most will probably suspect they are bad. As you say reading between the lines and also lack of activity in the current window it doesn't look good. But we are not alone by not doing much/anything in the current window. Until the announcement all we have is rumours.

Could be a rectifiable cashflow situation as opposed to a steady drain (continual overspending). I don't see why other clubs will be aware of the nature of our situation.   

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree with this and in particular priority should be on extending contracts of Sneddon, Docherty, Bannigan, Tiffoney, Turner and Holt. I would happily take no new signings this window if we could get those guys signed up for at least another season.

Whilst you would in normal circumstances hope that we could find replacements for Docherty and Bannigan I think recent transfer activity in Scotland had shown clubs struggling to find talent. As Premiership clubs and English lower league clubs find recruitment from Europe more complicated they are offering contracts to players that wouldn't be deemed good enough for their needs a season or two ago.

Also think we need to view our finances in light of our competitors. Unless we are back to "save the jags" levels of cuts we should still have a budget that maybe only Dundee, Queens, the relegated premier team (s) and perhaps Dunfermline if they get promoted will better.