Rangers Vs Partick Thistle - Sunday 12 February

jagfox

22 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

One for @The Thistle Archive. I know this was our first ever game with VAR, but in my 60 or so years of supporting Thistle this the first time we i remember us scoring  a goal in the circumstances our second goal was scored.

Certainly never came across such an exact scenario, so every chance it's a unique occurrence. That said, there used to be all sorts of wild disputes in the 19th century game, when teams would threaten to walk-off in a huff and the opposition would back down and goals would be disallowed by agreement of the captains and referee, that sort of chaos! This week's Stats Watch has an interesting entry in this area:

● With Malik Tillman failing to realise that Thistle were about to return the ball back to them, he unwittingly took advantage of a relaxed situation to put Rangers 2-1 up, which would have been extremely distasteful had it been allowed to stand. The actions of the Rangers management and players in allowing Thistle's Scott Tiffoney to run up the pitch unopposed to score and balance out the matter was a very refreshing sporting gesture. Looking back at the records, the incident is not entirely without precedent… on Sat-21-Dec-1895, with Thistle trailing by 1 goal to 2 at Inchview, Celtic threatened to walk off when Thistle were awarded a late pen. To settle, R. Lamont “shot for the corner flag”!

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Certainly never came across such an exact scenario, so every chance it's a unique occurrence. That said, there used to be all sorts of wild disputes in the 19th century game, when teams would threaten to walk-off in a huff and the opposition would back down and goals would be disallowed by agreement of the captains and referee, that sort of chaos! This week's Stats Watch has an interesting entry in this area:

● With Malik Tillman failing to realise that Thistle were about to return the ball back to them, he unwittingly took advantage of a relaxed situation to put Rangers 2-1 up, which would have been extremely distasteful had it been allowed to stand. The actions of the Rangers management and players in allowing Thistle's Scott Tiffoney to run up the pitch unopposed to score and balance out the matter was a very refreshing sporting gesture. Looking back at the records, the incident is not entirely without precedent… on Sat-21-Dec-1895, with Thistle trailing by 1 goal to 2 at Inchview, Celtic threatened to walk off when Thistle were awarded a late pen. To settle, R. Lamont “shot for the corner flag”!

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/

We should have let Sneddon score the goal. Just to prove his goal against Cove wasn't a one off. :whistling:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Can I just make the point that while yesterday's game might be remembered for several things -- crazy VAR decisions, the sacking of the Thistle management team despite the good performance, the almost inevitable loss of a late goal to lose the game against that shower -- let's not forget that there occurred surely the best-ever goal in Thistle's history! For more than 50 years Dan McLindon held that record, having dribbled around 7 Dundee United players all alone before dinking the ball past a bewildered Arab goalie. But yesterday Tiffoney totally outpaced the ENTIRE h un s team, who could only stand and watch, and then he proceeded to make their goalie look like a total diddy before calmly stroking the ball into the net. It was truly world-class, likely to get millions of views for years to come!

Rangers had a player called Roger Hynd who was regularly described as ‘statuesque’ as attackers ran rings round him. Sevco had 10 Roger Hynds and an extremely surly goalie as Tiff stroked it home!

Can we all forget the "class" of Beale and sevco about allowing Thistle to score?

First of all, it wasn't about class; it was to regain at least some dignity in view of their own embarrassment. 

Second, what if we had held out for a draw, and won a penalty shoot out? There would be a gigantic roar for their manager to be hung from a lampost by their supporters, and no doubt even the press would have joined in a campaign to get the entire game replayed.

The fact that they did it actually seems to me disrespectful to Thistle..... it was merely a statement of their supreme knowledge of the inevitable final outcome of the match, with the officials doing their duty, of course.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Can we all forget the "class" of Beale and sevco about allowing Thistle to score?

First of all, it wasn't about class; it was to regain at least some dignity in view of their own embarrassment. 

Second, what if we had held out for a draw, and won a penalty shoot out? There would be a gigantic roar for their manager to be hung from a lampost by their supporters, and no doubt even the press would have joined in a campaign to get the entire game replayed.

The fact that they did it actually seems to me disrespectful to Thistle..... it was merely a statement of their supreme knowledge of the inevitable final outcome of the match, with the officials doing their duty, of course.

Agree.  No way they would have done that if trailing at time or if was in league game v Celtic etc.  And may not be a gigantic roar but well was boo’ed at time and even know with their positive outcome a lot of their fans still unhappy about it.

Horrible club to whom sadly we lost to again.

44 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

To be fair, I think Tiff's goal is probably a "first" on more counts that we can imagine. 😊

On a slightly light hearted note - who decided that Tiff should get the goal - was he the only one trusted not to miss or more likely was this decided by a quick game of rock paper scissors? 

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

To be fair, I think Tiff's goal is probably a "first" on more counts that we can imagine. 😊

Couldn't help notice McGregor had a kick at him as he was about to score. A keeper (IMO) who has "previous" and has got away with a lot in his time at Rangers). I wonder what would have happened if Tiff had missed because of the kick or gone down. Penalty awarded during an uncontested attempt at goal?  Tiff booked for diving? 

2 hours ago, michael m said:

On a slightly light hearted note - who decided that Tiff should get the goal - was he the only one trusted not to miss or more likely was this decided by a quick game of rock paper scissors? 

Saw someone say Sneddon should have been given it for goal no 2 of season which would have been fun.

2 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Couldn't help notice McGregor had a kick at him as he was about to score. A keeper (IMO) who has "previous" and has got away with a lot in his time at Rangers). I wonder what would have happened if Tiff had missed because of the kick or gone down. Penalty awarded during an uncontested attempt at goal?  Tiff booked for diving? 

PENALTY RANGERS!!!