McCall Sacked

elevenone

Just now, Thistle88 said:

McCall isn’t perfect by any means. But do I think on the next 2/3 years he would have got it right and we would get promoted? Yes I do.

And along the way I reckon we could have had Tiff on a new deal (sellable) and also Milne will go for a few quid in summer Imo. 

People think we deserve to be a Premier league club yet half our fans are absolute morons.

I really doubt he would have taken us up to be honest. I have tended to back him, but think he falls a wee bit short at this level if promotion is your main goal (he’s more than good enough to keep you in this division). So we gamble tier 2 safety for a better chance at promotion. 

Incidentally, for context, here’s the form table for our last 5 games (4 of which were at home)

image.png

1 minute ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I really doubt he would have taken us up to be honest. I have tended to back him, but think he falls a wee bit short at this level if promotion is your main goal (he’s more than good enough to keep you in this division). So we gamble tier 2 safety for a better chance at promotion. 

Incidentally, for context, here’s the form table for our last 5 games (4 of which were at home)

image.png

We have had a pretty bad time with injuries recently, I think we could have managed a decent run. Selling players is a big deal for a club like us and McCall had an eye for lower league players to sell on. 

Gets overlooked far too often !!

4 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

McCall isn’t perfect by any means. But do I think on the next 2/3 years he would have got it right and we would get promoted? Yes I do.

And along the way I reckon we could have had Tiff on a new deal (sellable) and also Milne will go for a few quid in summer Imo. 

People think we deserve to be a Premier league club yet half our fans are absolute morons.

We should be a premier League club, we play in Glasgow that great football city, and yet we struggle to get 3000 of a home support, because we are Partick Thistle, where as the ugly sisters get 50000 every week, How can we compete.,

11 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

50 pc of the fan base are morons? Your statement suggests you are part of the 50 pc.....

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

We should be a premier League club, we play in Glasgow that great football city, and yet we struggle to get 3000 of a home support, because we are Partick Thistle, where as the ugly sisters get 50000 every week, How can we compete.,

We aren’t but so maybe stop the fantasy that this will change anytime soon. 

As much as I agree Mayaswell be realistic.

22 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Say what you want about McCall but he wanted the club to Succeed just as much as any of us. Last manager to bring in a player who made our club any money from a transfer fee, and I guarantee we get money from one of the players he has brought in. 

I’m genuinely gutted for him!

Think Jack Hendry , Liam Lindsay, Aiden Fitzpatrick all had transfer fees attached to them .

Not convinced he was taking us anywhere but the timing is all wrong 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

What kind of fan base do Livingston Ross County or St Johnstone have for example .

It’s possible to compete at the highest level if the infrastructure is right .

Edited by jlsarmy

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Think Jack Hendry , Liam Lindsay, Aiden Fitzpatrick all had transfer fees attached to them .

Not convinced he was taking us anywhere but the timing is all wrong 

All youth players,  which is great. But a manager bringing players in that will be sold on McCall has the best record at Firhill for a long long time.

9 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

We have had a pretty bad time with injuries recently, I think we could have managed a decent run. Selling players is a big deal for a club like us and McCall had an eye for lower league players to sell on. 

Gets overlooked far too often !!

Who was that then ?

4 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

All youth players,  which is great. But a manager bringing players in that will be sold on McCall has the best record at Firhill for a long long time.

That’s absolutely not true , name me one apart from going back 15 yrs to Twaddle and Harkins 

Just now, jlsarmy said:

Who was that then ?

Harkins.. Twaddle.. Mcstay.. he done it with other guys like Shankland.. there’s more.. he has a decent record with pulling players going no where and getting money for them. 

Milne will go for cash.. I reckon Turner could. Tiffoney if we could have extended his contract would have also. 

1 minute ago, Thistle88 said:

Harkins.. Twaddle.. Mcstay.. he done it with other guys like Shankland.. there’s more.. he has a decent record with pulling players going no where and getting money for them. 

Milne will go for cash.. I reckon Turner could. Tiffoney if we could have extended his contract would have also. 

He’s not that at Firhill for 15 years , that’s an fact

Put aside the question whether McCall's sacking was right or wrong. Would you agree that, apart from the bizarre timing tonight, given the same circumstances (results & performances) most other clubs would also have parted with their manager? I happen to believe that clubs in general tend to sack their managers on the early side but that's beside the point.

I'm also wondering if the current interim Board made the decision primarily to appease the support, which by and large in social media were saying McCall's time was up. That of course would be wrong for more than one reason. On balancetho' I feel there's other reasoning involved.

You can have views on whether McCall time was up or not. What is unacceptable is the way this has been handled……utterly bizarre timing, dreadful communication and poor treatment of someone’s whose heart was in the right place. You can let people go in the right way or the wrong way and sadly today the club let itself down.

• Like 4