Brilliant Old Footage!

Jaggernaut

Scottish Cup, 1956: Jags 3 Brechin 1 at Firhill.

I really don't remember ever seeing this until now. Amazing shots of Firhill, and a huge crowd (15,872 according to the Official History). And a wee guy in the crowd wearing an old woolen bar scarf of the type I used to have.

I wonder if Thistle were wearing their navy blue strip..... doesn't look dark enough here.....

Enjoy!:

https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/284776 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Scottish Cup, 1956: Jags 3 Brechin 1 at Firhill.

I really don't remember ever seeing this until now. Amazing shots of Firhill, and a huge crowd (15,872 according to the Official History). And a wee guy in the crowd wearing an old woolen bar scarf of the type I used to have.

I wonder if Thistle were wearing their navy blue strip..... doesn't look dark enough here.....

Enjoy!:

https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/284776 

Nice one.

The goals were brutal...

22 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

The crowd looks a lot more than 15800,  great footage..

That's what I thought - the capacity of Firhill in the early 1960s was just under 40000. I attended the Rangers game in 1963 when we were league contenders and finished 3rd and the crowd was stated as 37500. The Brechan crowd with no  obvious  vacant areas must have been well over 15800. Perhaps a tax dodge or like Ross Co. attendences some poor arithmetic!

Great footage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

No advertising of any kind on the walls all around the pitch..... Was there some kind of rule against it, or it just wasn't the done thing then? Or maybe some greyhound racing-related rule?

Not a rule. Check the wall in front of the "shed". The lower section painted white to provide a background so the punters could see the dugs!

brilliant! i used to work for reuters sports desk in london and spent many a spare moment in the video library trawling through old cine film involving thistle but i never came across that one. i like to think I might well have been there - i was pretty regular from the age of five in 1955 - but i have no memory whatsoever of the game. 

1 hour ago, robphil said:

brilliant! i used to work for reuters sports desk in london and spent many a spare moment in the video library trawling through old cine film involving thistle but i never came across that one. i like to think I might well have been there - i was pretty regular from the age of five in 1955 - but i have no memory whatsoever of the game. 

Robphil,

My old man worked for the papers in Glasgow for decades, doing various things from telephonist to proofreader. He knew guys like Hugh Taylor and Malcolm Munro, and sometimes brought home programmes from matches they'd covered (especially internationals and European games). The gem among those, as it's extremely rare but which I still have despite many attempts to prise it out my hands, is Celtic's away match against Vojvodina in 1967. I know that many of the green persuasion would dearly love to get their paws on it., but it continues to give me great pleasure to deny them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Robphil,

My old man worked for the papers in Glasgow for decades, doing various things from telephonist to proofreader. He knew guys like Hugh Taylor and Malcolm Munro, and sometimes brought home programmes from matches they'd covered (especially internationals and European games). The gem among those, as it's extremely rare but which I still have despite many attempts to prise it out my hands, is Celtic's away match against Vojvodina in 1967. I know that many of the green persuasion would dearly love to get their paws on it., but it continues to give me great pleasure to deny them!

Yes, J, i can imagine the green hordes would adore to get their mitts on that one. My most prized programme was sent to me by a Telegraph reader - a Jesse Owens signed programme from the 1972 Munich Olympics. I wrote to him three times almost pleading with him to reconsider but having read an article i'd penned on JO, he insisted he wanted to leave it in my keeping. When my eldest grandson is of an age to appreciate the tale of Jesse Owens, I will pass on both the programme and the story of how it came into my possession. 

Isn't sport a treasure trove of golden memories...???

• Like 2

I thought so. I must have read them, as I bought the SH every week.

I'm not sure if it was one of yours, but in one edition there was an interview with a successful, now retired, anglo-scot who had a reputation of being a tough guy. In the interview he kind of ranted on about modern players being pansies, nancy boys etc., and about how they wouldn't have lasted a minute back in the 70s or 80s. I remember it had me laughing, but try as I might, I can't remember who that player was! 

Any idea?

After Ron yeats first training session at anfield , shanks invited the assembled pressmem into the dressing room . "I've just signed a colossus, come in and walk round him...'

"It's hard to live up to the billing of a colossus," recalled yeats, "when you are standing there bollock naked after a cold shower..."

20 hours ago, robphil said:

Sorry, J, can't help you with that one. Dave Mackay immediately springs to mind and he was certainly a plain speaker. Will take a trawl through the library in the hope of identifying him. 

Dave MacKay.... I'm almost sure it was him! (If not, the LIB's suggestions of Roy Barry and Ron Yeats might be good.) 

I'd love to re-read that article; it was so politically incorrect you had to laugh!