Ayr on Saturday - the game thread

Albert's Ghost

I don't want to sound naive, but Thistle are paying the players wages not McCall so they should be doing the best they can no matter who is in charge. Also who ever is going to be in charge, Dools or anybody could well be watching. Even if they see their future away from Firhill the should still be playing at their best.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

I don't want to sound naive, but Thistle are paying the players wages not McCall so they should be doing the best they can no matter who is in charge. Also who ever is going to be in charge, Dools or anybody could well be watching. Even if they see their future away from Firhill the should still be playing at their best.

Agree there, AJ.

I don't think we have to go as far as to mention the players are professional and thus they should act in a professional manner. Even if they aren't going to be with us next season they'll have to put themselves in the shop windae. Only my own observation but I believe we've not got a squad that is that likely to down tools. A major failing this season has been more down to too many drops in confidence. Last Sunday perhaps backs that up. No real pressure to get a result, nothing therefore to dent  and we played fine.

33 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

A win puts us 6 points behind second and 8 points behind first place with a lot of games to play. Still possible. 

Someone will be along in a moment to say defeat and we’re potentially 9 points off 9th… I prefer your view … 

"A major failing this season has been more down to too many drops in confidence. Last Sunday perhaps backs that up. No real pressure to get a result, nothing therefore to dent  nd we played fine" (Lady- Isobel-Barnett).

I agree with this up to a point. However just as important a failing has been our inability to field a sufficiently strong team due to having an excessive number of players injured or unwell on at least 7 occasions, that is the 5 league games we lost in succession earlier in the season and the two games against Hamilton and Cove. I am at a loss to understand why this very important point is totally ignored on this website.

Had this not happened I have no doubt the team would have pick up enough points to be sitting at or near the top of the league and IMC and his assistants would still be with us in their management position.

The Team we fielded v Rangers was, with the exception of Hodson , just about the strongest team we could field and was the strongest fielded in weeks and low and behold we nearly pulled it off. Coincidence, strong team, great performance - no not in my opinion!

I accept that injuries cannot normally be used as an excuse and in normal circumstances the management have to and should manage these situations. However no manager can manage having the scale of injuries we have had this season. I think that IMC had every right to use injuries as an excuse but unlike Dodds at ICT he generslly kept quiet and got on with the job, consequently to his personal cost!

This club  is not the Partick Thistle I have supported for 60 Years. I will be watching how the club behaves in the near future very carefully to decide whether or not, when my various ailments allow, it is worth the effort to make the 10 hour round trip to Glasgow to support them.

I wish Doolan all the best.

• Like 1

Leaving aside the change in management tomorrow was always going to be pivotal in our season. Our record away from home this has been pretty awful with only 3 wins and 1 draw from 10 away games. If we're going to be in the top 4 we need to stop losing away from home and throw in more than the occasional win.

McCall had already mentioned the need to alter our approach away from home and I think we saw what he was talking about with the move to 3-5-2 at Ibrox. For me I think we need to start 3-5-2 again and assuming all are fit and available bar Graham I would go with the following

Sneddon

McAvoy-Muirhead-Holt

McMillan-Docherty-Turner-Bannigan-Milne

Dowds-Tiffoney

Harsh on Hodson who was very good at Ibrox but I think we need Docherty back in. Game plan needs to be don't concede at all costs, steal a goal and be able to protect it. Can't be going away from home and expecting to out score the oppostion, we've tried that all season and its rarely worked.

If we need a goal late on by all means revert to 4-3-3 but we need to prioritise defence.

28 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

"A major failing this season has been more down to too many drops in confidence. Last Sunday perhaps backs that up. No real pressure to get a result, nothing therefore to dent  nd we played fine" (Lady- Isobel-Barnett).

I agree with this up to a point. However just as important a failing has been our inability to field a sufficiently strong team due to having an excessive number of players injured or unwell on at least 7 occasions, that is the 5 league games we lost in succession earlier in the season and the two games against Hamilton and Cove. I am at a loss to understand why this very important point is totally ignored on this website.

Had this not happened I have no doubt the team would have pick up enough points to be sitting at or near the top of the league and IMC and his assistants would still be with us in their management position.

The Team we fielded v Rangers was, with the exception of Hodson , just about the strongest team we could field and was the strongest fielded in weeks and low and behold we nearly pulled it off. Coincidence, strong team, great performance - no not in my opinion!

I accept that injuries cannot normally be used as an excuse and in normal circumstances the management have to and should manage these situations. However no manager can manage having the scale of injuries we have had this season. I think that IMC had every right to use injuries as an excuse but unlike Dodds at ICT he generslly kept quiet and got on with the job, consequently to his personal cost!

This club  is not the Partick Thistle I have supported for 60 Years. I will be watching how the club behaves in the near future very carefully to decide whether or not, when my various ailments allow, it is worth the effort to make the 10 hour round trip to Glasgow to support them.

I wish Doolan all the best.

Very good post

"This club  is not the Partick Thistle I have supported for 60 Years. '

I haven't been following quite as long, but I'm struggling to think of the halcyon days where we operated an alturistic footballing community where everything was golden and rouge?.

I very much doubt it ever existed. 

• Like 1

I liked Ian. I felt he was a proper Jags man. I'm sorry he's gone in the fashion he's gone in. But I can't wait for today's game. I can't remember a match this season, I've looked forward to as much. I'm glad it's at Somerset. I've never seen us win there. We'll see how I feel nursing my first pint tonight.

14 hours ago, exiledjag said:

[J]ust as important a failing has been our inability to field a sufficiently strong team due to having an excessive number of players injured or unwell on at least 7 occasions, that is the 5 league games we lost in succession earlier in the season and the two games against Hamilton and Cove. I am at a loss to understand why this very important point is totally ignored on this website.

Had this not happened I have no doubt the team would have pick up enough points to be sitting at or near the top of the league and IMC and his assistants would still be with us in their management position....

Managing absences is a vital part of running any set of employees, perhaps doubly so in professional sport. The former management team failed do so effectively. Curiously enough, one of that team had already shown the same inability to manage absences when in charge. The word on the street is that running a football team depends on results - not imaginary wins conjured up by willing injured players on to the park. I'm no football manager, but I'm at a loss to understand how this point could be ignored by professionals in the game.

• Like 1