Ayr on Saturday - the game thread

Albert's Ghost

45 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

Was watching on a tiny feed…when Mullen came on, was he in a different role from Graham/Dowds usual “target man” kind of role?

Might be misremembering, but I thought McCall played all his strikers in the same fashion and this seemed different.

Whenever i have seen Mullen play he has never played where you would expect your main striker/target man to play. Pleasantly surprised that he scored today.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Well done to the management team, players and fans who braved that weather. No doubt they were singing in the rain.Made up points on every team above us, apart from Morton. Still in the hunt for a play off place. :fan:

1st place for me. Beat Arbroath & Dundee then Raith Rovers at Firhill and all of a sudden we'll be breathing down the neck of Queens Park. Hard to see it happening but I've seen a lot of strange stuff over the years following Thistle. At the same time we could lose all 3 and be stuck in 7th. 

🤣

12 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

1st place for me. Beat Arbroath & Dundee then Raith Rovers at Firhill and all of a sudden we'll be breathing down the neck of Queens Park. Hard to see it happening but I've seen a lot of strange stuff over the years following Thistle. At the same time we could lose all 3 and be stuck in 7th. 

🤣

First thing first/baby steps etc. :thumbsup2:

Thought the Doolan has us playing a 4-2-3-1 and it worked very well up until we changed to 3-5-2. Docherty and Bannigan controlled midfield and released from attacking duties over real protection to the back 4. Also allowed Turner to get in between lines and cause a bit of chaos. Turner should have put us 2 ahead before half time.

I think Doolan was maybe trying to be a bit too clever when moving to a 3-5-2 thinking that it would Hodson to disrupt Akinyemi dropping deep. However we then lost anyone who could put their foot on the ball and hold possession leading to us playing most of the last 15 minutes in our own half.

One other noticeable tactical difference today was the centrehalfs going long down the channels rather than trying to play through the midfield at all costs. Mullen proved more effective with those sort of balls to recieve and play others in. It looked to me like the sort of service Doolan used to get when we played in the premiership.

Very decent away win and even more impressed with the clean sheet. Don't remember Sneddon really ever having to make a difficult save. If Doolan can get 4 points out of the next 2 fixtures then the job is his until the end of the season in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

A wins a win, well done to Doolan and the team for seeing it out, disappointed in the Jags support today or the lack of it, thought there would have been more.....

You have to be realistic mate.  We are in a cost of living crisis people just don’t have the same money these days to be able to travel to away games.  As it is that was Ayrs highest league attendance all season and that will have been boosted by a decent size away support 

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

A wins a win, well done to Doolan and the team for seeing it out, disappointed in the Jags support today or the lack of it, thought there would have been more.....

Surprised by the last comment. I was behind the goal and there seemed to be a huge support, or at least we/they made plenty of noise.

Possibly less people at the sides than normal due to the driving rain. However, I would fully expect Dools and/or players interviewed to pay tribute to the massive lift they received from a huge and vocal support.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Surprised by the last comment. I was behind the goal and there seemed to be a huge support, or at least we/they made plenty of noise.

Possibly less people at the sides than normal due to the driving rain. However, I would fully expect Dools and/or players interviewed to pay tribute to the massive lift they received from a huge and vocal support.

We started off in the open then moved under cover for the second half. There were fewer folk there for sure but good work by the young team to keep the singing going the whole game.

In terms of crowd size, folk are struggling with cost, I think. We both did hospitality and Rangers last week then away to Somerset this week. We travel on the Jordanhill bus and as much as I would like to go to Arbroath and then Dundee, I can't justify the cost of both games. 

Edited by westertonjagfan

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Whenever i have seen Mullen play he has never played where you would expect your main striker/target man to play. Pleasantly surprised that he scored today.

All the defenders were at least a head and shoulders taller than him and yet the ball was punted in to him as if he had a good chance of leaping above them. 

10 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

All the defenders were at least a head and shoulders taller than him and yet the ball was punted in to him as if he had a good chance of leaping above them. 

As i have said before i only go to home games nowadays, so can't speak for how he plays in away games. But whenever i have seen him play at Firhill imo he is very rarely where you would expect/want your main striker/target man to be. 

Delighted he scored and would be good if he went on a goal scoring run. I think he scored 7or 8 in the premier league last season for Dundee so he can't be bad.

• Like 1

I don’t remember seeing us go 1-0 up and seeing it out this season.. So criticism of the subs seems silly.

I still think McCall deserved until the end of the season but one thing I’ve always criticised McCall for is his subs, I think Doolan got them spot on especially playing behind the Wind in the second half.

Guess most of us at the game today were getting increasingly concerned with the deep defending in the second half. Tho' Doolan's substitutions were never going to alleviate that it's got to to be minded that Ayr never troubled Sneddon. So it probably was  a very good defensive display. Felt those further up the field could've helped the defence out more by retaining the ball much more. We deserved the three points but should've made it a good bit more comfortable win.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Guess most of us at the game today were getting increasingly concerned with the deep defending in the second half. Tho' Doolan's substitutions were never going to alleviate that it's got to to be minded that Ayr never troubled Sneddon. So it probably was  a very good defensive display. Felt those further up the field could've helped the defence out more by retaining the ball much more. We deserved the three points but should've made it a good bit more comfortable win.

Agree with that. "Taking care of the ball" seems to be the modern expression, and we were very poor at that in the second half, which is why the ball kept coming back. 

Holt and Muirhead were excellent today and won just about everything in the air. Akinyemi was forced wide to have any chance of getting into the action. He did that to good effect, but fortunately he was not also there in the middle to take advantage.

The goal is well worth watching. Brilliant team move. I cannot claim to be one of Danny Mullin's greatest fans, but credit to him both for his positioning (of which even AJ would have approved) and his finishing (Doolanesque).

Doolan looks so fit that he could still play. Bringing him on for the last 5 minutes to replace a tiring Mullin, using his touch to retain possession and perhaps even to sniff out a goal, might have been a handy option.

Dools in the post-match interview “all the goals are scored in the six-yard box.” 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well done to him, the team and all Jags fans. Such happy news to wake to on a Sunday morning after the calm, peaceful, ‘move along, nothing to see here’, week we’ve had. 

Edited by madcapmilkdrinker

22 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Glad to see Mullen scoring. To me he's looked potentially useful, but in a jaded team. Hope he can pysh on from here. Also glad to see Dools off to a winning start, and a shut-out.

Mis-typed "Y" where it should have been a "U".

Glad it winae an"I"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1