Ayr on Saturday - the game thread

Albert's Ghost

11 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

A wins a win, well done to Doolan and the team for seeing it out, disappointed in the Jags support today or the lack of it, thought there would have been more.....

I think the disruption to train services to Ayr would have also been a factor.

Brilliant result yesterday. Another two difficult fixtures coming up but we'll have BBG coming back

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Decent coverage of the action (including the goal) from this (presumed) Ayr fan's site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1hwdqb4iDA

Good coverage indeed. Underlines the way the match shifted from us being the more likely to score a second towards the deep defending the longer the game went on. For blood pressure reasons alone I'd have been many times happier if we had been deep defending a two goal lead.

24 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Good coverage indeed. Underlines the way the match shifted from us being the more likely to score a second towards the deep defending the longer the game went on. For blood pressure reasons alone I'd have been many times happier if we had been deep defending a two goal lead.

100%. We have a terrible habit of putting bodies on the line to defend the ball, do great work but then either kick the ball straight back to the other team or try to hit a high ball to Stevie Lawless.

• Like 1

Watched the highlights on Jagzone and the goal is a very decent move with umpteen passes without an Ayr player getting near to any of it. Very nice to see.

Whilst we did drop deep and play most of the last 15/20 minutes in our own half I wonder if it was a more nervy experience at the game because from behind the goal we couldn't see how poor Ayr's attempts are? Standing behind the goal yesterday the Ayr Player hit a shot/cross that ruffled the net and at the game I thought it a goal but on the highlights it sailed over, similarly there was a moment when the Ayr Striker (Akinyemi) looks to have beaten the offside trap and Sneddon is too slow to go out but in the highlights you can see Sneddon know early that its offiside. Perhaps we were more comfortable than we thought?

Leaving that aside we did lose the ability to hold the ball up when Tiffoney and Lawless went off. Mullin was still very effective and the highlights show how well he was doing at winning balls against guys almost a foot taller. However Fitzpatrick really needs to work on how he's going to contribute in that scenario. He needs to figure out how to retain possession, win freekicks and set plays as well as press the defence better.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Decent coverage of the action (including the goal) from this (presumed) Ayr fan's site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1hwdqb4iDA

Enjoyed that.

The sounds, grainy nature of the picture and speed of the play, reminded me of games played many years ago that have been through a colourisation process.

Most recordings these days look like a computer simulation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Agree with that. "Taking care of the ball" seems to be the modern expression, and we were very poor at that in the second half, which is why the ball kept coming back. 

Holt and Muirhead were excellent today and won just about everything in the air. Akinyemi was forced wide to have any chance of getting into the action. He did that to good effect, but fortunately he was not also there in the middle to take advantage.

The goal is well worth watching. Brilliant team move. I cannot claim to be one of Danny Mullin's greatest fans, but credit to him both for his positioning (of which even AJ would have approved) and his finishing (Doolanesque).

Doolan looks so fit that he could still play. Bringing him on for the last 5 minutes to replace a tiring Mullin, using his touch to retain possession and perhaps even to sniff out a goal, might have been a handy option.

Yes he took up the position you would expect your main striker to be and he scored. Now with Doolan in charge he might give him some tips on taking up good position in and around the box. Would be good if he could bag a few more goals before the end of the season. We need him and Dowds to help Graham in the scoring dept.

1 hour ago, CotterJag said:

Enjoyed that.

The sounds, grainy nature of the picture and speed of the play, reminded me of games played many years ago that have been through a colourisation process.

Most recordings these days look like a computer simulation.

Also the pillars in the stand blocking the view. Just like in the Colin Weir stand. 

58 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Have to say I was disappointed with Dools yesterday - a couple of padded jackets! What has happened to managers wearing shirt and club tie? Is that me being too "old school"?

Who was the last Thistle manager to wear that attire, on a regular basis? Dick Campbell? Not sure if you are nbeing tongue in cheek but I'll pass on the f rivalries unless we get to a cup final. Thank you.

14 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Who was the last Thistle manager to wear that attire, on a regular basis? Dick Campbell? Not sure if you are nbeing tongue in cheek but I'll pass on the f rivalries unless we get to a cup final. Thank you.

Yes, tongue is firmly in cheek. Dools or whoever can wear what they like if they keep winning!

• Haha 1

Just like to say one improvement under Dools is in Jagzone interviews. McCall's seemed to last barely 1 minute.  Dools' are at least 3 times that. You feel you get your money's worth.  I don't think it can be purely due to bad runs and not wanting to discuss them too much.  I don't recall much longer ones when we were winning (or was it so long ago I forgot?)  I suspect McCall worried too much about giving info away to the opposition while Dools is just so enthusiastic about being able to manage the team he's happy to talk away.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

A wins a win, well done to Doolan and the team for seeing it out, disappointed in the Jags support today or the lack of it, thought there would have been more.....

Well, I thought at the time of the game that the support was just about equal. We were certainly more vocal than the Ayr United supporters. Gather there was some trouble with trains.

Still a decent turnout of the red and yellow!

21 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

One for those at the game. Was Doolan any more active on the touch line ? I never liked that McCall just sat there with his arms crossed. I like to see a bit of emotion 

From what I noticed he spent most of first half in the dugout and was I think reviewing some of the game on an Ipad with someone who was showing him clips presumably of the things they had spotted in the game.

Second half he spent standing at the touchline but no real arm waiving gestures or anything like that. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Bunny said:

Just like to say one improvement under Dools is in Jagzone interviews. McCall's seemed to last barely 1 minute.  Dools' are at least 3 times that. You feel you get your money's worth.  I don't think it can be purely due to bad runs and not wanting to discuss them too much.  I don't recall much longer ones when we were winning (or was it so long ago I forgot?)  I suspect McCall worried too much about giving info away to the opposition while Dools is just so enthusiastic about being able to manage the team he's happy to talk away.

I think that’s a Jagzone issue. The club elected make the full interview free-to-air in the news section of the website, presumably because it was Doolan’s first. They usually put the full 3-4 minute offering behind the paywall and only show a minute’s worth for free as “news”.

4 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Have to say I was disappointed with Dools yesterday - a couple of padded jackets! What has happened to managers wearing shirt and club tie? Is that me being too "old school"?

Next, you'll be wanting all supporters to wear flat caps and swing wooden rattles round their heads ! ^_^

• Haha 2

Most of the post-match updates are in place on the Archive, including match highlights, check the news via the home page →

:detective:

GET INTERIM

● Interim manager Kris Doolan takes charge of Partick Thistle for the first time, nearly 4 years on from his final appearance as a player - both times versus Ayr United.
Kris Doolan becomes the 33rd individual to manage a Partick Thistle first team match.
● Former Jag Sean McGinty captains Ayr United whilst former United man Ross Docherty captains Thistle.
Kyle Turner hits a new personal best by appearing 17-not-out in competitive action.
● Thistle have won all three matches in which Danny Mullen has scored.
● Thistle win their first away game in more than 4 months, the 2-1 win at New Douglas Park in October being the last away day success.
● Thistle keep their first clean-sheet in 3 months. Ayr United are only the second team not to have scored against Thistle in the League this season, following on from Arbroath.
● Congratulations (and celebrations) to Kris Doolan, who becomes the first Thistle manager since Murdo MacLeod in 1995 to begin his tenure with a victory in competitive action.

ongoing sequences:
● 34 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jamie Sneddon - 41 games, 28th Aug 2021 to 9th Jul 2022. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
Edited by The Thistle Archive
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MarciaBlaine said:

I think that’s a Jagzone issue. The club elected make the full interview free-to-air in the news section of the website, presumably because it was Doolan’s first. They usually put the full 3-4 minute offering behind the paywall and only show a minute’s worth for free as “news”.

Ah!  That explains it.