Lucci's Bar, Bowmore Hotel , Islay

Camallain

Just back from a trip to Islay. Whilst there we visited Lucci's Bar in Bowmore. There were a few signed football tops on display including this. The hotel owner, Peter McLellan, an ex professional footballer from the 70's who played with Rangers & Airdrie explained to me that the shirt was given to him by Nobby Clark. I had wondered why Nobby's signature was included with the league cup winners. We talked about the 71 team and Peter raved about how great a player Johnny Gibson was !

173EC394-AA04-40FD-AE9A-BC6061D59FC3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7f8b9d4de91fa4ac1137474269b0ba58.jpeg

Edited by Camallain
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'd like to know the history of that particular top. TOFFS were only formed as a company around 1990, so I wonder how one of their replica tops came to have all those signatures on it.

Been quite a few events with the 71 team. I assume people take along momentos to be signed quite regularly?

22 hours ago, sandy said:

With Johnny MacKenzie also being celebrated, I wonder if we could put together an islands 11 team for the Jags?

@The Thistle Archive might know 

Johnny was born in Dennistoun though? So here's a Dennistoun-born Thistle 5-a-side team... and what a forward line it is!

GK: Davey Haxton
DF: William Flannelly
FW: Frank Branscombe
FW: Johnny MacKenzie
FW: Willie Sharp

Not sure where you'd draw the line on Islands, but some island-born Jags...

Rothesay - Hunter Lyle
Rothesay - James Pinkerton
Rothesay - Peter Thompson
Rothesay - Daniel McLean
Jersey - Jack Boyle
Trinidad - Kevaughn Connell
Trinidad - Josh Johnson

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sandy said:

With Johnny MacKenzie also being celebrated, I wonder if we could put together an islands 11 team for the Jags?

@The Thistle Archive might know 

Don't forget the magnificent Donnie McKinnon. Did he have a connection with Lewis & Harris, although born in Glasgow?

Edited by East Kent Jag II
Duff info to start!