Arbroath v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

If they do get up, they will top the Premier League- for the lowest home crowd figures  😑

Hello EKJ.  The "pundits" on Sportsound yesterday claimed that QP only have one small stand built at Lesser Hampden and that it would not be deemed suitable for the Premiership. The confident prediction was that they would be back playing at the "big" Hampden if they get promoted. That would include 2 x home matches v The Old Firm - say 30,000+? - and generally decent crowds v Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Hello EKJ.  The "pundits" on Sportsound yesterday claimed that QP only have one small stand built at Lesser Hampden and that it would not be deemed suitable for the Premiership. The confident prediction was that they would be back playing at the "big" Hampden if they get promoted. That would include 2 x home matches v The Old Firm - say 30,000+? - and generally decent crowds v Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen etc.

Thanks  AFK. Wherever they go (I trust not Firhill) they will be paying a six figure sum to share the ground.  Add in the cost of the works to Lesser Hampden, and I  suspect that they will be lucky  to break even next season.  Don't know if they still have any funds from the Hampden sale, but playing in the Premier League will bite into Haughey's millions.

I've no idea what Haughey/QP are up to rebuilding a ground that would be unsuitable in size even for the division they're currently in. As for cost of paying rental for Hampden perhaps the fees would be variable proportionate in full or in part to the areas of the stadium required to be open?

Also I'm led to be believe that Lesser Hampden will have a top of the range hybrid surface. I wouldn't then be surprised to see visiting European teams (club and international) use LH for pre match training. I would also imagine the ground being let out on a fairly regular basis. So even if paying rental to the SFA is an expensive outlay there'll likely be one or two income streams to offset the cost. Also think the attendances v the ugly sisters would be considerably higher than 30,000. A lot would depend on how competitive the premiership is particularly between the gruesome twosome.

Just a further point of note along the same lines, but a small part of me would like to see Morton win promotion (not at the expense of us of course). Just how their midden could be upgraded without them being inflicted by crippling cost is anybody's guess. Conversely I'd not like to see Ayr go up as Somerset would never be the same again if had to suffer a makeover.

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The new Gretna? Discuss.

There are parrallels to Gretna but I think the decision making at Queens is more rational.

Gretna were a non-league club when an individual with lots of money (Mileson) took them over. He never looked the most health individual and I often wondered if he had taking Gretna to the top league on his bucket list? Either way there wasn't any thoughts of a long term plan

Queens are slightly different. With the introduction of the pyramid system I think they realised that staying part-time on the crowds they were getting just meant in a few years they would playing in the lowland leagues if they were lucky.

Along comes the SFA offering to buy Hampden. The cash injection from Hampden presents 2 options. Either spend the money slowly and stave off relegation down the pyramid for 20 years or spend it more quickly, go pro, try to increase crowd sizes by playing in the top leagues whilst also heavily investing in player development to offset the costs in the hope that in the long term they have crowds, stadium etc that support league 1 football into the foreseeable.

Faced with those choices most people would go for the second option which is what Queens are doing now. 

Where they have a problem and are similar to Queens is the finances and running of the club appear to be closely guarded secrets with only Haughey and Leanne Dempsey really knowing whats going on. A suspicious mind would suggest that Haughey perhaps isn't using much of his money and is instead just burning through the money they got from the sale of Hampden but in truth no-one seems to know. Its impossible to belive that they are not making substantial losses playing at Ochilview but there doesn't appear to be any figures that show the true tale.

Its the same with their stadium build. The capacity is too small for championship football and would for a lot of league 1 games be over subscribed but at the same time they have built a relatively large VIP area. I suspect that means the stadium is being design to be Rangers B and Celtic B long term home rather than a ground to host an increased Queens support.

The player development model always looks like a good idea but if you have individuals good at it eventually they will be taken by bigger clubs unless Queens make themselves into a feeder/ shop window for larger clubs this doesn't look like it will provide a future. The amount of coaches and scouts on the payroll just now gives them an advantage but you have to wonder were the money is coming from.

On the park currently they are doing well but I'm not sure how much of that praise belongs to Coyle. I think his role is more like a head coach with player recruitment largely sitting with their Dutch Director of Football. It was also rumoured that they were offering players terms that we couldn't match which gives them an advantage over most other teams in the league. 

Personally I think Queens fortune are still largely dependent on Haughey. I suspect Haughey will get out once Queens make the top league so he can say he's done is bit. After that the real financial situation will hit and it becomes a question of how well can Queens downsize before they exhaust the last of their cash reserves. I suspect that means they get maybe 2 or 3 season in the top division followed by back to back relegations.

If you are a Queens fan they should enjoy these times, as with most small clubs, who knows what tomorrow will bring. It would be a shame if it lead to death of Queens but they can always feel assured that they can come back as The Queens Park in league 2. After all the SFA wouldn't only keep that option for one failed club, would they?

Most of the post-match updates are in place, all news via the home page as usual...

:detective:   HISTORIC FIRST FOR DOOLAN

Darren Brownlie makes his 50th competitive appearance.
Jamie Sneddon makes his 100th competitive appearance and registers his 41st clean-sheet in those games. Of all the 'keepers who've played 20 or more games, his 41% clean-sheet ratio currently places him second only to Jim Ferguson (42.6%).
● Thistle register a 5th consecutive clean-sheet versus Arbroath, a new H2H record.
● For the 8th time in history, Thistle register 4 same-season clean-sheets against the same team in competitive action. It was first achieved vs. Hearts (1921) then Kilmarnock (1968), Clydebank (1978), Kilmarnock (1980), St Mirren (1981), Montrose (1992) and Dunfermline Athletic (2022).
Kris Doolan becomes the first Thistle manager in history to come through his first two games without conceding a goal.
● Back-to-back League wins at Gayfield have eluded Partick Thistle FC for all of recorded time.

ongoing sequences:
● 35 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jamie Sneddon - 41 games, 28th Aug 2021 to 9th Jul 2022. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Most of the post-match updates are in place, all news via the home page as usual...

Jamie Sneddon makes his 100th competitive appearance and registers his 41st clean-sheet in those games. Of all the 'keepers who've played 20 or more games, his 41% clean-sheet ratio currently places him second only to Jim Ferguson (42.6%).
● Thistle register a 5th consecutive clean-sheet versus Arbroath, a new H2H record.
● For the 8th time in history, Thistle register 4 same-season clean-sheets against the same team in competitive action. It was first achieved vs. Hearts (1921) then Kilmarnock (1968), Clydebank (1978), Kilmarnock (1980), St Mirren (1981), Montrose (1992) and Dunfermline Athletic (2022).
Kris Doolan becomes the first Thistle manager in history to come through his first two games without conceding a goal.
● Back-to-back League wins at Gayfield have eluded Partick Thistle FC for all of recorded time.

ongoing sequences:
● 35 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jamie Sneddon - 41 games, 28th Aug 2021 to 9th Jul 2022. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

Some unexpected stats in there. This kind of stuff is brilliant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Thanks  AFK. Wherever they go (I trust not Firhill) they will be paying a six figure sum to share the ground.  Add in the cost of the works to Lesser Hampden, and I  suspect that they will be lucky  to break even next season.  Don't know if they still have any funds from the Hampden sale, but playing in the Premier League will bite into Haughey's millions.

There is no longer a requirement to have 6000 seats. The stadium QP are building actually meets the requirements for the top league 

7 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

ongoing sequences:

Didn't realise that Jamie had such a high clean sheet ratio, although going by the 'highlights' i have seen from yesterday a bit fortunate to get one in that game. Don't forget he also has a goal threat.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

There is no longer a requirement to have 6000 seats. The stadium QP are building actually meets the requirements for the top league 

Yes, but if there is no capacity for many visiting fans their income will be severely limited. They will need to offer top(ish) wages to have a competative team so need an income to match that. Do the top flight allow terracing?

On 2/26/2023 at 7:56 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Also think the attendances v the ugly sisters would be considerably higher than 30,000. A lot would depend on how competitive the premiership is particularly between the gruesome twosome.

That's an interesting thought, given that we no longer even get 10,000 against them at Firhill.

Edited by Jaggernaut