Arbroath v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

1 minute ago, JAG1970 said:

I wish Dools all the very best and he’s been chucked in at deep end. I’d love him to be a success.

My frustration isn’t with him, it’s with a team that’s consistently underperformed the last two seasons and yes that lies with McCall. Utterly toothless.

Today we scrambled a point against the worst team in the league, they have won just 4 league games in 26.
Our players continue to underperform and I think Dools could do with some assistance, a more experienced individual but the board so far haven’t done so. Maybe they will. Maybe they’ll appoint someone else. But I’m tired of a club which seems rudderless from top to bottom. And yes Dools ain’t responsible for that.

I’m not sure our players underperform , think that’s the level we are at .

Kind of mirrors last season as well , absolutely fine at the start of the season with the better weather conditions and better parks and we looked good .

When it comes to the business end of the season, you need more physicality etc in the team , with Turner , Bannigan , Lawless , Docherty etc we haven’t got that ,  it’s always going to be a battle at this time of the season with every team playing for something.

16 minutes ago, javeajag said:

If appointing Doolan wasn’t expected to change anything  in the short term then why appoint him with inky 11 games left ……I assume the strategic decision was made to improve things 

It possibly has , don’t think McCall would have won at Ayr

18 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The game today was awful and I mean awful. Not  to win against the bottom team is not good enough .

Given we are in an interim managerial position, Dools has done well to stem the losses. 

I’ll take the point gratefully, we move on. 

Is Arbroath ground sharing or is their pitch just that bad?

They seemed a way more physical, if not that talented, side.  The pitch really negated some of our strengths, and at least a few times I was wishing for Abdul Osman back in midfield to shove somebody.

Missed the first 30 minutes but after that, any crack at goal we had seemed like an accident.  They hit the woodwork twice and we were extremely lucky to come away with a point - especially with Sneddon looking a little shaky handling the ball a few times.

Bad day at the office + bad pitch + little creativity.  Best I can say is we fought them off in the end.

First half we were decent but fell into the old problem of trying to pass the ball into the net and retaining possession at all costs. Arbroath were the terrible first half and you just knew they could only get better.

Campbell clearly read the riot act to his team at halftime as they fought hard for everything second half. He also fixed the problems by putting an extra body in midfield, told his team to stop messing about in their own half and get the his wide players to push our fullbacks back.

It was fairly obvious we were struggling to get out of own half by about 15 minutes into the second half. We needed to get Hodson on and play a more traditional 4-4-2. Instead we persisted with the 4-3-3 for too long. Don't know why we took off Tiffoney we should have took off Lawless and put Tiffoney up front with Graham.

We had a bit of good fortune to escape with a point and I hope Doolan learns from that game as he to my mind he was out thought by Dick Campbell which is never a good thing. If Doolan is going to be the permanent manager he needs to figure out how to change tactics when its not working.

On the plus side its another clean sheet away from home and the singing section never stopped all game. 

Agree that we deteriorated as the game went on. Graham & Fitzy had little impact from the bench. Like another poster I was surprised that Tiff was taken off rather than Lawless.

Lawless had difficulty retaining possession on the tight and bobbly pitch. Even though Tiff also lost possession quite frequently, that was generally in the context of at least trying to make things happen.

In the first half we at least tried to play to feet. In the second half we resorted to hoofball. Muirhead was particularly culpable in this respect. Several times he had the opportunity to drive forward with the ball into clear space ahead of him, but instead elected to punt aimlessly.

We played ok 1st half. But we didn’t look like scoring because the delivery into the box was shocking. Both full backs, Turner and Tiff were most culpable. These are arguably our best 4 players. McMillan in particular must learn not to take 3 touches. The number of times the ball sailed over the bar was diabolical. What’s the point of Milne busting a gut if he then crosses over the bye line?

Perhaps Lawless should have moved to number 10. Mullin should have scored from the 1 well delivered pass from Stevie from Inside Left. But he was blown over by a gust of wind.

McAvoy would have offered better distribution from the back.

2nd half was criminal. Dools has a helluva task with that lot. Just as well most are out of contract.

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Agree that we deteriorated as the game went on. Graham & Fitzy had little impact from the bench. Like another poster I was surprised that Tiff was taken off rather than Lawless.

Lawless had difficulty retaining possession on the tight and bobbly pitch. Even though Tiff also lost possession quite frequently, that was generally in the context of at least trying to make things happen.

In the first half we at least tried to play to feet. In the second half we resorted to hoofball. Muirhead was particularly culpable in this respect. Several times he had the opportunity to drive forward with the ball into clear space ahead of him, but instead elected to punt aimlessly.

The amount of long balls Muirhead tried to hit between the Arbroath right back and right central defender made me think this was a pre-arranged tactic to try and get Tiffoney or Fitpatrick in behind the fullback. Muirhead's delivery wasn't wonderful but it didn't work because Tiffoney and Fitzpatrick didn't make the run they were meant to. I think this was Doolan's main tactic today and Tiffoney's failure to get on the end of it may have been why he was subbed.

3 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

We played ok 1st half. But we didn’t look like scoring because the delivery into the box was shocking. Both full backs, Turner and Tiff were most culpable. These are arguably our best 4 players. McMillan in particular must learn not to take 3 touches. The number of times the ball sailed over the bar was diabolical. What’s the point of Milne busting a gut if he then crosses over the bye line?

Perhaps Lawless should have moved to number 10. Mullin should have scored from the 1 well delivered pass from Stevie from Inside Left. But he was blown over by a gust of wind.

McAvoy would have offered better distribution from the back.

2nd half was criminal. Dools has a helluva task with that lot. Just as well most are out of contract.

Agree with that last sentence. There are no more than two or three that I'd really regret leaving. Too many lightweight, completely average players in the team.

With the exception of Tiffoney when he's fit and on form, the team is totally devoid of flair, and frankly boring to watch.

I ‘ll save some of my life and not watch the highlights. That was dire and Dools is no magician. Have to say that I am disappointed and, while I never expect Thistle to win, I did expect a better performance.

That said, it was the sort of game that we used to lose too often. Our draw column says that we lost too many games where we should have gotten a point. I’ll take that as a positive and move onto Dundee