Dundee v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

Impressed by Doolan’s quiet,grounded optimism.Key phrase for me in his post match analysis last night was “outworking the opposition “.By all accounts the players are now training longer and hopefully transferring the benefits of this to match day in harrying the opposition as well as recycling and moving the ball into attacking positions quicker and more frequently. This was evident last night against a ,albeit meh,Dundee who struggled to get a grip at any stage of the game.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 10:22 AM, Thistle88 said:

Doolan has a full squad to chose from to be fair. Was against McCall leaving before the end of the season but can’t argue that the team have done very well in 3 away games and look better defensively. Hope it continues.

sometimes it’s good to be proved wrong !

No Holt or Brownlie

36 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Impressed by Doolan’s quiet,grounded optimism.Key phrase for me in his post match analysis last night was “outworking the opposition “.By all accounts the players are now training longer and hopefully transferring the benefits of this to match day in harrying the opposition as well as recycling and moving the ball into attacking positions quicker and more frequently. This was evident last night against a ,albeit meh,Dundee who struggled to get a grip at any stage of the game.

This! I wasn't sure that McColl should go but I was convinced that the training the team undertook was not what was needed. So whoever was responsible for that needed to go.

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Whether he delegated the task or not, McCall was 100% responsible.

And 100% responsible for not changing it if it wasn’t working. 

I am another who was against another in-house appointment, but so far I’ve been very impressed by Dools. The players have stepped up a gear (at least against Ayr and Dundee) and he sets up the team right for the opposition and who he has available. 

I know that Thistle have a tendency to bite you on the bum, but for the first time I feel optimistic about this season.

18 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And 100% responsible for not changing it if it wasn’t working. 

After McCall left the first time the fitness of the team improved big time under McNamara. What I do find strange is that one part of Archie's period as a manager I don't believe he got wrong was in the fitness levels of his squads. So it's fair to guess that if fitness levels were down in recent seasons it's due to an overall malaise at the Club. 

Ironically if Doolan does turn all this around we then have to give credit to McCall for building the squad. Kinda supports my view that McCall was fine on the recruitment/man management side of things and poor on the coaching/match management side.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Hi AJ, where did you hear the players were training longer from now?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

After McCall left the first time the fitness of the team improved big time under McNamara. What I do find strange is that one part of Archie's period as a manager I don't believe he got wrong was in the fitness levels of his squads. So it's fair to guess that if fitness levels were down in recent seasons it's due to an overall malaise at the Club. 

Ironically if Doolan does turn all this around we then have to give credit to McCall for building the squad. Kinda supports my view that McCall was fine on the recruitment/man management side of things and poor on the coaching/match management side.

There was a lot of injuries though under Archies tenure.  For instance Sean Welsh was injured for large periods of time but elsewhere has managed to remain injury free.  There were others

12 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but was Holt and Dowds out last night and Graham out for one and only on the bench for the other. Hardly a full squad and the McCall excussers would have been using that if we had lost all 3.

Nah you’re right enough, I completely over looked that Holt was out. No Brownlie or like you said Dowds either, not that I’d say either would have been starting but does make it more impressive that we got a win last night.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Just saw the goals on Facebook. 3rd one was a belter.

Agreed.

Would also give Turner some credit for excellent deliveries from the two corners which led to the first two goals. 

The second goal in particular had made on the training ground all over it.

Two Jags running toward the near post, the first man being the decoy, second man getting the header directing the ball toward the back post and Graham being there completely unmarked  to knock the ball into the net . Excellent!

Post-match updates in place Dundee 1 Partick Thistle 3 →

:detective:  BRIAN GRAHAM INTO THE ALL-TIME TOP 50

● Thistle have led Dundee at half-time in all 3 League games this season.
● With his latest brace, Brian Graham (now on 44) moves into the all-time Top 50 competitive goals chart, overtaking Gerry Britton who was previously 50th with 43 goals.
Harry Milne notches his 5th goal of the season, good going from the left-back position. 3 of these have came against Dundee. He scored his first Thistle goal at home to the Dark Blues and his latest away to them.
Kris Doolan is the 7th Partick Thistle manager to remain unbeaten in his first 3 competitive matches, and is the first to do so since Alan Archibald in 2013.
Kris Doolan has won 7 away points in 3 games. This compares favourably to Ian McCall's 10 away points all season!
● Thistle have won 5 of their last 7 games at Dens Park. The overall H2H is currently running 15 games without a draw.

ongoing sequences:

● 36 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jamie Sneddon - 41 games, 28th Aug 2021 to 9th Jul 2022. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

• Like 1

Yes typical thistle knee jerk again. Dools has done very well 7 points in 3 away matches, I'm now satisfied we wont end up in the wrong playoffs. But one swallow does not a summer make. against Ayr they had a good number of chances that on another day, Arbroath we gave them far to much respect, and again the chances they missed. Dundee however was a different kettle of fish, looked like we had actually trained together and knew what to do. There are comments regarding the fitness of the side which concerns me, what TF were McCall's two pigeons getting paid for?. If Dools can get Bannigan back to the Bannigan that played under McNamara then Dools is in with a shout but until then lets not get to excited.    

11 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I totally disagree - when we played livi in the playoffs they were fitter faster stronger 

In our last Season it was Fitness via laptop analysis as opposed to hard graft 

Jock Wallace was seen as a Joke Figure Running Players up Sand Dunes - harsh reality he was light years ahead of most of the so called Strength and Conditioning Coaches

Dools has always been Super Fit he expects the same from his Playera 

15 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

There was a lot of injuries though under Archies tenure.  For instance Sean Welsh was injured for large periods of time but elsewhere has managed to remain injury free.  There were others

That is just not true. He also had underlying health issues that affected him and his susceptibility to injury while at Thistle.

That's this season's appearances below.

Screenshot_20230302_082211_Flashscore.thumb.jpg.abef8d4c01bf32de2f30034fefa37ed9.jpg

Edited by jagfox

Thank you TTA for this data. Its very interesting and enjoyable to read.

McMillan and Milne have been two very good signings (dare I say it, by Ian McCall).  Although I feel McMillan is sometimes overshadowed by his fellow full back, Harry Milne, there is no doubt in my mind he contributes to a very good and very strong full back partnership.

• Like 1

For so many years it seemed to me that we never won at Dens Park; now wins there are becoming common! I remember a 5-3 Jags victory at Dens when I was a nipper, result seen on a tv screen in a shop window in Maryhill Road after I left Firhill and the Reserves match (result forgotten).

If only we could start winning at Ibrox and Parkhead even just now and then, when we need to endure a visit to those cesspits.