Dundee v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

21 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

There was a lot of injuries though under Archies tenure.  For instance Sean Welsh was injured for large periods of time but elsewhere has managed to remain injury free.  There were others

You may well have a point re injuries during the Archie years. My post was unclear. I was meaning purely fitness levels.

13 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I totally disagree - when we played livi in the playoffs they were fitter faster stronger 

In our last Season it was Fitness via laptop analysis as opposed to hard graft 

Jock Wallace was seen as a Joke Figure Running Players up Sand Dunes - harsh reality he was light years ahead of most of the so called Strength and Conditioning Coaches

Dools has always been Super Fit he expects the same from his Playera 

JJ, I can see part of my post where you disagree. I can't see tho' how you can totally disagree with my entire post based on that one part.

I'll certainly concede that when we played Livi in the playoffs we were clearly second best in all levels of fitness. I'll go further and say that fitness issues may have well played a significant part in our demotion season, tho' I believe Archie's biggest failings latterly was his recruiting.

I'll still maintain that from McNamara taking over management and the subsequent seasons under Archie up to our to and including our top six finish, we were fitter than any time during the McCall years. Talking roughly from summer 2011 till summer 2017.  During that term we were constantly getting praised for being a very fit team. 

Btw I agree about Jock Wallace and Doolan being a role model in respect to attitude to fitness.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Doolan's been coaching the team for just under 3 weeks. I find it hard to believe that there levels of fitness have improved by any noticeable level in that time, particularly for a group of players that have been injury prone. For example, I don't think Brian Graham who usually needs injections is feeling fitter due to 3 weeks of extra training. Could well be that if Doolan had them for a full pre-season they would be fitter but upping fitness levels mid-season in such a short space of time is almost impossible.

However where there perhaps is a difference with getting players in to do more sessions is in organisation, tactics and understanding.

Defensively we have looked more solid in the last 3 games despite starting with a different centre back pairing in each so that would suggest organisation is improving.

To my mind this is where Archie made impact with the 12/13 team, he made them harder to beat but you have to wonder why Archie has failed to do that as a coach, perhaps Scott Paterson's role was bigger in that regards or the combination of Archie and Shaggy was more focused on Defence that the McCall, Archie, Scally arrangement?

All 3 goals against Dundee really came from set plays (2 corners and a throw-in) so that suggests tactics are improving.

The shape of the team against Ayr looked more like a 4-2-3-1 but Arbroath was back to 4-3-3. Not sure what we looked like against Dundee but if that was more towards a 4-2-3-1 then potentially that is a more defined change in tactics breading from understanding the players a bit better.

However its only 3 games so difficult to say much more than its a promising start. By the end of March we should be able to see if there is a pattern of better defensive performances.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You may well have a point re injuries during the Archie years. My post was unclear. I was meaning purely fitness levels.

JJ, I can see part of my post where you disagree. I can't see tho' how you can totally disagree with my entire post based on that one part.

I'll certainly concede that when we played Livi in the playoffs we were clearly second best in all levels of fitness. I'll go further and say that fitness issues may have well played a significant part in our demotion season, tho' I believe Archie's biggest failings latterly was his recruiting.

I'll still maintain that from McNamara taking over management and the subsequent seasons under Archie up to our to and including our top six finish, we were fitter than any time during the McCall years. Talking roughly from summer 2011 till summer 2017.  During that term we were constantly getting praised for being a very fit team. 

Btw I agree about Jock Wallace and Doolan being a role model in respect to attitude to fitness.

My Views on fitness under Archie at the end of Archies Tenure are pretty much based on the number of late Goals we lost - which tends to suggest a fitness issue - the less fit you are the less Oxygen to the Brian and Calve Muscles - this means ability to focus is reduced and ability to respond quickly is less as the legs are starting to go - at this point we had a dedicated Strength & Conditioning Coach 

We did lots of statistical analysis on Software to determine fitness at the time - call me Old Fashioned  but three sets of 10 - with a 5 Minute Jog Recovery between sets - would have been a whole lot better IMO 😀

8 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

My Views on fitness under Archie at the end of Archies Tenure are pretty much based on the number of late Goals we lost - which tends to suggest a fitness issue - the less fit you are the less Oxygen to the Brian and Calve Muscles - this means ability to focus is reduced and ability to respond quickly is less as the legs are starting to go - at this point we had a dedicated Strength & Conditioning Coach 

We did lots of statistical analysis on Software to determine fitness at the time - call me Old Fashioned  but three sets of 10 - with a 5 Minute Jog Recovery between sets - would have been a whole lot better IMO 😀

Maybe that is why Mr Graham can't play the full 90 minutes these days!

6 hours ago, elevenone said:

Sounds like Dools is doing the right thing and getting help from experienced players, unlike a previous manager who alienated them.