Thistle v Raith Rovers

Albert's Ghost

What really impressed me today, apart from the score line, was the sheer commitment of the players. Everyone put in a terrific shift, doubling up and helping out their nearest teammate and never giving Raith a moment until some tired legs late in the game. A team that was undefeated in their last 14 games.

Credit to IMC (that will be unpopular with some) but he signed that starting eleven today, and it helps when your best players are fit. Maybe it’s the new manager bounce, but the belief, strength and organisation on display today suggests Doolan may be taking this team up a gear. On todays performance they look as good as anyone in the league. He must be putting something in their tea. 

I guess the test will come after a defeat, how well they react in order to measure their resolve. But Dools has already picked them up from where they were, and if we can maintain this level of form, organisation and discipline (and our key middle to front stay fit) this could be an extremely interesting run in and that game against QP could be huge.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

What really impressed me today, apart from the score line, was the sheer commitment of the players. Everyone put in a terrific shift, doubling up and helping out their nearest teammate and never giving Raith a moment until some tired legs late in the game. A team that was undefeated in their last 14 games.

Credit to IMC (that will be unpopular with some) but he signed that starting eleven today, and it helps when your best players are fit. Maybe it’s the new manager bounce, but the belief, strength and organisation on display today suggests Doolan may be taking this team up a gear. On todays performance they look as good as anyone in the league. He must be putting something in their tea. 

I guess the test will come after a defeat, how well they react in order to measure their resolve. But Dools has already picked them up from where they were, and if we can maintain this level of form, organisation and discipline (and our key middle to front stay fit) this could be an extremely interesting run in and that game against QP could be huge.

Excellent post.

Probably the best home performance of the season so far. Even when we beat Morton and ICT heavily at Firhill we didn't look as good as today.

10 out of 12 points and only 1 goal conceded in 4 games is impressive. If we get through the Morton and Dundee games and are still within touching distance of Queens its going to be a very interesting run-in.

So many good performances today. Tiffoney is nearly back at his best and when he starts to play out attacking threat goes up several notches. He makes Graham, Lawless and Milne better players as he opens up spaces for them to play in.

Turner did really well for the first goal and he looks such a better player playing in the advanced midfield role, his ability to retain possession in tight situations is very impressive. Graham was very good and his hold up play particularly second half was really nice. 

However man of the match for me was McAvoy. Didn't put a foot wrong all game. He looks like he has a big future in the game.

46 minutes ago, dibble said:

Did you know we have only lost twice in league this year when Ross Docherty has played and one of those was when we got beat at Inverness when turner was sent off in first half. He makes this team tick. The other side however is that we don’t have a back up when he’s absent

Docherty started the two QP away defeats (but was absent for the real horsing at home) and also the Hamilton home game recently as well as the Caley defeat. 

Didn’t know that star about Doc. (Which now seems to be untrue anyway 🤣) It seems like a fit Tiffoney makes a huge difference to us, he seems to create so much space for us when we go forward.

More importantly, did the Thistle drums survive the visit of Raith? 

Edited by madcapmilkdrinker

I think there's been a few too many posts on this forum suggesting that QP are untouchable and 2nd is the best that anyone can expect. We have a better record against the rest of the league than they have, and that's despite some pretty horrendous injury problems and runs of form.

We're only behind them because of a terrible head to head record. You can't win a league and lose 4 times to a rival. But if we can win the last game then we're in touching distance.

From this position you need to try to win the league. Everyone knows that promotion from the play offs is a long shot.

I think it's very interesting now. I've thought all season that we were capable but that inconsistency was going to be our undoing. That may still be the case. But this morning I'm daring to dream.

Edited by allyo

10 hours ago, laukat said:

Probably the best home performance of the season so far. Even when we beat Morton and ICT heavily at Firhill we didn't look as good as today.

10 out of 12 points and only 1 goal conceded in 4 games is impressive. If we get through the Morton and Dundee games and are still within touching distance of Queens its going to be a very interesting run-in.

So many good performances today. Tiffoney is nearly back at his best and when he starts to play out attacking threat goes up several notches. He makes Graham, Lawless and Milne better players as he opens up spaces for them to play in.

Turner did really well for the first goal and he looks such a better player playing in the advanced midfield role, his ability to retain possession in tight situations is very impressive. Graham was very good and his hold up play particularly second half was really nice. 

However man of the match for me was McAvoy. Didn't put a foot wrong all game. He looks like he has a big future in the game.

You have nailed my one complaint with how IMC set up the team and that is playing Turner out wide.

Playing a 4-2-3-1 formation Doolan is playing to the strengths of the players and covering our weaknesses.

Playing Docherty and Bannigan in front of the back 4 gives protection to our back line but with Bannigan there also, with his passing ability,  helps us play the ball from the back and through the opposition

The masterstroke for me is playing Turner in the centre of our advanced 3. I have advocated since he arrived at the Jags that he should be playing in a central role and now that he is we are maximising his skills.

Also with Docherty and Bannigan playing in front of our back 4 it means that our advanced 3 can play closer to and support Graham..

From what I have seen Doolan plays this system with some flexibility so that we don't have too much of a gap developing between the 2 and the 3

Absolutely delighted Turner now playing in the middle in a forward position. With Tiffoney and Lawless playing in advanced positions as well we have most of our creative players high up the park where they can damage the opposition.

Fair play to Doolsn for changing the playing system and clarifying individual roles within the system. All we have to do to keep this working is make sure we defend set plays as I think it will be now  much harder for the opposition to play through us.

Well done Doolin.

13 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Good camera they’ve got, and nice to see the JHS stand in the highlights. 

Who plays in the DM spot of Doc or Banzo if they get injured or suspended? Would Dools change formation if and when that happens? 

4 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

The Raith Rovers coverage shows that the referee couldn't be more wrong in awarding them a penalty. The guy tripped himself up with NO contact from anybody else. Shocking.

Thank you - I thought I was missing something. Again Mr Aitken did not impress - waddling around the pitch constantly shrugging his shoulders and making the open palm gesture as if to say "what do you want I am just the referee".

Edited by Fawlty Towers
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, laukat said:

I don’t agree that it was our best home performance of the season. I think the ICT 4-1 game was way better. We controlled that game from start to finish. 
It will be really i interesting to see how this team reacts to going behind, although I hope we don’t find out.

Have to say really enjoyed yesterday despite the ref doing everything in his power to give Raith every decision. Thought I may have been biased until I rewatched the highlights on YouTube and its quite poor from the ref, first Tiffoney is fouled in the box no pen, second the Raith player miscues his kick after being kicked about 5 yards out the box and falls over and the ref gives a pen

Despite that, thought McAvoy, Bannigan, Lawless and Tiffoney were all outstanding, the rest all playing well too, with a special mention to Mitchell for a solid performance as well as a much deserved clean sheet.

Took my niece along for her first Thistle experience and she was delighted and asked to go back. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

The Raith Rovers coverage shows that the referee couldn't be more wrong in awarding them a penalty. The guy tripped himself up with NO contact from anybody else. Shocking.

difficult to see from either set of highlights. I think its Mullen who the penalty is awarded against and he doesn't complain too much so maybe he clipped his heel?

However on both highlights we should have had a penalty in the first half for the foul on Tiffoney. Tiffoney is behind the Raith defender who gets nothing on the ball. He clearly pushes Tiffoney in the back as he's clean through on goal so its a pretty clear penalty and red card. I get the referee is maybe too far back and his angle isn't the best but the linesman is 10 metres away and looking right at it.

Highlights didn't pick it up but I also thought we were due a penalty in the second half when Graham is hauled down from behind on the 6 yard line with his back to goal.

2 hours ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

Who plays in the DM spot of Doc or Banzo if they get injured or suspended? Would Dools change formation if and when that happens? 

Hodson is the regular DM sub. Dools has brought him on in all four games to strength the midfield. Almost a cert to start if Doc isn't available.

Defensive mid is possibly an area where we're a tad vulnerable in reference to ball winning. Especially if one picks up an early yellow. Docherty tho' had a good game yesterday despite being booked after only 20 mins.

29 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Hodson is the regular DM sub. Dools has brought him on in all four games to strength the midfield. Almost a cert to start if Doc isn't available.

Defensive mid is possibly an area where we're a tad vulnerable in reference to ball winning. Especially if one picks up an early yellow. Docherty tho' had a good game yesterday despite being booked after only 20 mins.

I thought after we went 2-0 Docherty would have been subbed with him on a booking. Despite the booking he had a very good game in fact he received a few heavy tackles after being booked.

All the post-match updates in place via the home page →

:detective:  ROVERS RUN ENDED AT FIRHILL

Kyle Turner's excellent assist is his 19th in competitive action in less than 2 seasons.
Brian Graham is on the ascent in all goals charts, and today moves outright into our All Time Top 40 League scorers chart with 37 goals to his name.
Kris Doolan's Jags retire at half-time with a one nil lead for the third time in his four games. They've yet to concede a first half goal.
Harry Milne registers his 5th assist of the season to go with his 5 goals, giving him a fine double figures return in competitive action.
Scott Tiffoney nets his second brace as a Jag, following on from his League double away to Airdrie in March 2021.
Aidan Fitzpatrick hits a new personal best of 13 consecutive appearances in competitive action.
● Referee Greg Aitken awards what can only be described as an embarrassing penalty award to Raith Rovers, mis-reading a situation directly in front of him. In his last 13 Thistle games he's awarded six penalties against Thistle and only one in favour.
David Mitchell faces a Raith Rovers penalty for the second time this season, the first being the final nail in a 3-0 League defeat at Stark's Park in October.
David Mitchell is the first Thistle goalie to save a penalty which preserved a winning clean-sheet in the League since Kenny Arthur did so at Pittodrie in February 2003.
Stuart Bannigan, Jagzone man of the match, has yet to be booked in his testimonial year!
● Raith Rovers 14 game unbeaten run (reportedly their best in 30 years) comes to an end at Firhill.
Kris Doolan, confirmed as permanent new manager the day before, is the 4th Partick Thistle gaffer to remain unbeaten in his first 4 competitive matches. Only Murdo MacLeod (5) and Alan Archibald (10) have been on longer runs.

ongoing sequences:
● 37 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jamie Sneddon - 41 games, 28th Aug 2021 to 9th Jul 2022. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Kyle Turner's excellent assist is his 19th in competitive action in less than 2 seasons.
Brian Graham is on the ascent in all goals charts, and today moves outright into our All Time Top 40 League scorers chart with 37 goals to his name.
Kris Doolan's Jags retire at half-time with a one nil lead for the third time in his four games. They've yet to concede a first half goal.
Harry Milne registers his 5th assist of the season to go with his 5 goals, giving him a fine double figures return in competitive action.
Scott Tiffoney nets his second brace as a Jag, following on from his League double away to Airdrie in March 2021.
Aidan Fitzpatrick hits a new personal best of 13 consecutive appearances in competitive action.
● Referee Greg Aitken awards what can only be described as an embarrassing penalty award to Raith Rovers, mis-reading a situation directly in front of him. In his last 13 Thistle games he's awarded six penalties against Thistle and only one in favour.
David Mitchell faces a Raith Rovers penalty for the second time this season, the first being the final nail in a 3-0 League defeat at Stark's Park in October.
David Mitchell is the first Thistle goalie to save a penalty which preserved a winning clean-sheet in the League since Kenny Arthur did so at Pittodrie in February 2003.
Stuart Bannigan, Jagzone man of the match, has yet to be booked in his testimonial year!
● Raith Rovers 14 game unbeaten run (reportedly their best in 30 years) comes to an end at Firhill.
Kris Doolan, confirmed as permanent new manager the day before, is the 4th Partick Thistle gaffer to remain unbeaten in his first 4 competitive matches. Only Murdo MacLeod (5) and Alan Archibald (10) have been on longer runs.

ongoing sequences:
● 37 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jamie Sneddon - 41 games, 28th Aug 2021 to 9th Jul 2022. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

Who is the other manager ?

42 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

ongoing sequences:

Does that count of Greg Aitken penalties against us include the equally ridiculous soft one against Rangers pre season last year that saw James Tavenier hit the post?