Doolan appointed!!

Grubber8468

I can only comment on our home games as i don't do away games now. But our last 3 home games were nothing great. Dunfermline the penalty shoot out win put some gloss on it, but a poor game apart from that. Hamilton and Cove were very poor, with the Cove game being a new low for me. For me this season, again i can only comment on home games, we have been very good or very poor. Now we seem to have sorted things out away from home, let's hope we can get back to the good performances at Firhill, starting tomorrow. Dools red and yellow army. :fan:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flycatcher said:

1st Chris was a great striker for this club.

However. . . 

This is a knee jerk decision may by people who have no experience of football administration.

My hope that we will get a play off place is slowly disappearing 

A strange perspective given the last 3 results? Why do you think the play offs are beyond us? Bar QP second is definitely obtainable. 

Edited by dl1971
Typo

4 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Every real Jags fan will wish Dools well, including me. I'm travelling up now for tomorrow's match, so it'll be interesting to see the reception he gets. 

Bring it on!!

I don’t think there will be any surprises about the reception he gets mate.  He will deservedly get a fantastic reception 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Flycatcher said:

1st Chris was a great striker for this club.

However. . . 

This is a knee jerk decision may by people who have no experience of football administration.

After the cove rangers result I had started to pretty much be resigned to not getting to the playoffs.  It’s the last 3 games that have started to rekindle for me the possibility we might 

From a board perspective smart move but not so sure . When Man Utd brought solskjar in to replace Jose the board said they would wait until the summer before making an appointment. After a few wins they then made him permanent and they then went on a dreadful run. Because he was a fans favourite the fans gave him far more time than anyone would have had . Think our board thinks cheap option and fans won’t turn if things go badly or indeed he’s not given resources to strengthen in the summer.  Smart move?  I pray it goes well - could be grim if it doesn’t 

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As an indication I'd wait till we see if Dools and Macdonald's youth posts are replaced even on a temporary basis.

Hate to say it but I have real doubts re ANY contract extensions in foreseeable future.

Think this is absolutely normal re contract extensions , pretty sure it’s happened in the past as well

Not great for the players out of contract but don’t think they’ll negotiate contracts till they find out what League they’re playing in next season.

I like it.   We are in a position that we don’t have to worry about relegation and have a good opportunity for at least the playoffs.  So the pressure is off a little.

Hopefully it is popular in the dressing room.  That is where it could really bear fruit.

all the best Kris.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

You obviously weren't there..

I wasn't there, but I struggle to believe it was as bad as the late 90s (Albion Rovers at home in particular springs to mind) or some of the demolitions at the hands of Gretna under Campbell.

2 hours ago, Flycatcher said:

Mine was gone completely after Cove at home but a flicker of hope has re-emerged and Doolan clearly deserves the credit for that.

3 hours ago, allyo said:

Mixed feelings. Love Kris Doolan, encouraged by recent results, and confident that he can be a good manager for Thistle. Obviously wish him all the very best.

But I don't think a healthy club does this.

Agree with every word of this unfortunately.

31 minutes ago, Cfirejkl said:

I like it.   We are in a position that we don’t have to worry about relegation and have a good opportunity for at least the playoffs.  So the pressure is off a little.

Hopefully it is popular in the dressing room.  That is where it could really bear fruit.

all the best Kris.

From what I was told the players weren’t happy with it when McCall got sacked but are now buying into it

Amazing what a couple of results do 

The two parallels I draw from this are the appointment from within of a certain Davie McParland - an appointment that went rather well but by contrast also the appointment from within of Gerry Collins replacing Lambie - which wasn’t quite what might have been hoped for! 

Let’s hope this appointment is the former rather than the latter🤔

• Like 1

I like the appointment.  It’s a risk, but a calculated one.  And it beats appointing one of the retread bunch.  Probably some year over year cost savings in there as well.

Still wonder what his first transfer window will look like.  Managerial mystery to me - you can get coaching badges galore, but how do you get trained in locating, evaluating, and the financials involved in player recruitment?

3 hours ago, dibble said:

From a board perspective smart move but not so sure . When Man Utd brought solskjar in to replace Jose the board said they would wait until the summer before making an appointment. After a few wins they then made him permanent and they then went on a dreadful run. Because he was a fans favourite the fans gave him far more time than anyone would have had . Think our board thinks cheap option and fans won’t turn if things go badly or indeed he’s not given resources to strengthen in the summer.  Smart move?  I pray it goes well - could be grim if it doesn’t 

Why draw on the case of Solskjar and Man U when there's a more similar one but with a very different outcome:  the appointment of Alan Archibald as the permanent replacement for McNamara. That led to 5 seasons that are generally considered as successful.

Edited by Jaggernaut

15 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

Still wonder what his first transfer window will look like.  Managerial mystery to me - you can get coaching badges galore, but how do you get trained in locating, evaluating, and the financials involved in player recruitment?

For financials and contracts, we have Gerree.

Oh, wait a minute......

Chris, I wish you all the best although I fully believe we should have waited until the seasons end before making a permanent decision. For myself, I felt the disgraceful way he was treated by the club and the dignified way he dealt with the matter was a real credit to himself and showed his strength as a man. Unfortunately as a manager he will be judged by his results, which is a real way to turn a hero into the goat if not up to the job. I fully support Dools because of respect he has for our club and again wish him all the best as he leads us into Europe.

He Picks number 9 who scores all the time. 

5 hours ago, sabbath said:

Chris, I wish you all the best although I fully believe we should have waited until the seasons end before making a permanent decision. For myself, I felt the disgraceful way he was treated by the club and the dignified way he dealt with the matter was a real credit to himself and showed his strength as a man. Unfortunately as a manager he will be judged by his results, which is a real way to turn a hero into the goat if not up to the job. I fully support Dools because of respect he has for our club and again wish him all the best as he leads us into Europe.

He Picks number 9 who scores all the time. 

If he becomes the G.O.A.T you won’t find any complaints from me. 😀

While Kris has got off to a flyer, I am surprised that they gave him the gig full time so quick.  It looks purely down to finance. But, of course I will back him. Unlike McCall, Doolan is new to the management game and like any occupation its a learning curve and he will have leeway for any mistakes from Thistle fans, including me. On and upwards to 3 points today.

Listening to KD in his most recent Jagzone interview, it is his genuine love of the Jags' which brings a smile to my face.

His appointment as manager is, to me, so very reminiscent of 1970 when Davie mcparland first sat behind the managerial desk.

Approximately the same age (Davie mcp was a year younger at 35), like Kris, he had achieved legendary status as a player and his love of Thistle was a life-long affair despite his unfortunate departure after a disagreement with the directors.

As well as providing our greatest ever triumph, Davie assembled a wondrously attacking team which was a joy to watch.

I have a feeling in these 73-year-old bones that under young master Kris, I am going to be smiling a lot in the years to come...

But, hey, whatever the future holds for KD and his beloved Thistle, isn't it great to be a Jag...?

• Like 3