Morton v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

We are now back in contention for a play off place at least, so a draw would not be the worst result, but a win would keep the momentum going and put pressure on Morton as they would stay 5th. As long as there is no fresh injuries i would start with the same team as last week. The only change i could see is Holt for McAvoy but feel that would be unfair as McAvoy was one of our best performers last week. If we can get as strong a performance from every player as we did last week we are capable of taking what would be a very good and important 3 points. Won't be easy though.

The Ton were apparently mince on Tuesday,got a doing at the hands of Sean McGinty (I know,that bad !) and have a couple of key players missing from an already small squad ……..so,on paper a good opporchancity of climbing further up the league.Our recent record at a horrible wee ,narrow Cappielow is poor but am mildly confident given our recent form under Doolan.

2-0 Jags and Imrie to split his Chinos .

Who can really confidently predict a result in this crazy league?

I'd be happy to avoid defeat, but delighted with a win. 

Nagging doubt is will Imrie let his charges away with another sub par performance?

Morton 1 Thistle 2

14 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

We are now back in contention for a play off place at least, so a draw would not be the worst result, but a win would keep the momentum going and put pressure on Morton as they would stay 5th. As long as there is no fresh injuries i would start with the same team as last week. The only change i could see is Holt for McAvoy but feel that would be unfair as McAvoy was one of our best performers last week. If we can get as strong a performance from every player as we did last week we are capable of taking what would be a very good and important 3 points. Won't be easy though.

If Holt is fit, I would put him in for Muirhead rather than McAvoy. My other change (agian if fit) would be a return of Sneddon. However if they are not fit I would be more than happy with same again. They are starting to play like a team rather than a bunch of individuals.

When I was at Firhill for the Raith Rovers match last week, I was very impressed by Scott Tiffoney & Harry Milne in particular,  but also by the team play. Passing was good. I've seen nothing about  Scott being injured,  and if he plays, I think we will get a result. Morton have not filled the pre-season predicted relegation places, and won't be easy to beat- especially after their most recent performance.  2-1 Thistle.

Not buying an advance ticket either. It's only because of our recent turnaround in form that I'm likely to make the trip. As I'm not under 5 feet tall the DVT Stand is out. Besides you're lucky if you can see two thirds of the pitch from in there. So it''ll be standing out in the open for me, tho' you can sit down occasionally if you bring enough paper towels. Being charged £22/£16 for that privilege. Sometimes wonder if part of the gate money is going to Scottish Heritage. 

A short while ago I'd be keen to see us play three at the back at Cappielow. Indeed if Holt returns it'll be hard on the centreback who makes way for him. However all five of our starting midfielders are on form and the 4-2-3-1 set up has worked well recently. If we're winning I can see Dools bringing on a third CB and tightening things as he did at Ayr.

• Like 2

Morton have been playing some kind of diamond in midfield, to accomodate/ shoehorn in Robbie Crawford into their side.

Not sure, but 3-5-2 might give us midfield superiority, certainly in the middle of the park. 

Might affect our attacking input though if they can shut down Jack and Harry, getting forward.

Their ticket site is a shambles. Do you register even though it says that only for Morton fans?

Anyway, could all be moot witht these Arctic conditions.

I have not even tried the ticketing system this time. Will just go early and pay cash.

My recollection from last time is that you are taken through the whole cycle and just at the end when you are expecting your ticket to be confirmed/emailed, you are told that the particular seat you selected is not available. There is no indication as to which seats are available. After 3 or 4 attempts with the same result, I phoned the Morton office. They were perfectly pleasant and totally unsurprised. Their comment was something to the effect that they were aware of the problem and might look at it again for next season!

22 hours ago, jagfox said:

Morton have been playing some kind of diamond in midfield, to accomodate/ shoehorn in Robbie Crawford into their side.

Not sure, but 3-5-2 might give us midfield superiority, certainly in the middle of the park. 

Might affect our attacking input though if they can shut down Jack and Harry, getting forward.

Their ticket site is a shambles. Do you register even though it says that only for Morton fans?

Anyway, could all be moot witht these Arctic conditions.

The latest forecast is for sleet and snow starting at 4pm. Perfect weather for sitting on a wet bench with no cover.

Edited by westertonjagfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, allyo said:

After result last night we need to keep winning. I'm not all that interested in a play off place

Unless Q.P. have a total meltdown in their last 8 games  , to be honest I think a playoff place is The best we can expect, We have got to keep the Jags wagon rolling and win down there today..

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Unless Q.P. have a total meltdown in their last 8 games  , to be honest I think a playoff place is The best we can expect, We have got to keep the Jags wagon rolling and win down there today..

I know it's ifs and buts, but 5 points behind with a game to play at firhill, and 7 other games to go, is all to play for. It wouldn't take a meltdown.

55 minutes ago, allyo said:

I know it's ifs and buts, but 5 points behind with a game to play at firhill, and 7 other games to go, is all to play for. It wouldn't take a meltdown.

Every chance, but need to keep winning - even a draw today would just about rule us out I think.

A convincing win would do wonders for us - and have others starting to fear playing us. 

• Like 2