Morton v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

13 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Obviously I’d like to go up as champions, but 2nd and going into the playoffs as hard to beat and with some momentum wouldn’t be a bad second prize

Finishing 2nd and winning the playoffs by beating Dundee United with a last minute goal almost sounds better than finishing first.

• Like 3

Just back from Crappielow , please don’t ever give me Dougie Imrie as a manager 

Morton are what drives supporters away from football.

They are totally anti football, with no desire to play , relying on 2nd balls and a physicality that needs a strong ref which there wasn’t today.

Proud of our team today for sticking at it and getting a point which I don’t they would have got earlier in the season.

• Like 2

Thought the pitch was pretty decent and in much better nick than Firhill.

I think after their defence shambles against Ayr, Morton set up not to concede and weren't too concerned about not winning. The played quite a flat back 4 with a sweeper in front to prevent any real overlap and deny any space on the wings.

We look better defensively and despite losing both centre backs in the first half never looked likely to concede. At the other end Tiffoney wasn't really at the races and it took until the second half for Turner to find the right spaces in front of the Morton defence.

Referee was poor, took too long to book a Morton playing despite the number of fouls they gave away. Not getting control of that in the first half led to a lot of yellow cards for niggly fouls. Pretty sure the Morton striker elbowed Brownlie in the face in front of the ref and the ref only gave him a yellow card, looked a clear cut red to me. 

Overall a terrible advert for football, don't remember either team creating a real goal scoring opportunity or having anything that troubled the keepers. 

Hopefully McAvoy isn't too badly injured as he looks a real find. He was strolling the game before he got injured and I think Robbie Muirhead was lucky not to have seen red for what looked like an over the ball challenge.

1 hour ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Ah, I tuned in about 2.30pm & everything seemed pre recorded. No mention of any live game.

A couple of podcasts before commentary and then another after when game finished. I thought it was just because it was Championship and did not connect to the current carry on in BBC until i heard it mentioned on the Scottish news later.

11 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Obviously missed this one GRE ..dirtiest team that I have seen in many years.How they ended up with 11 player's on the park beggers believe..

We were almost as lucky to not have anyone sent off. However our discipline was such that by and large we didn't overreact to provocation. Refs who have lost control of a game are every bit as likely to red card a player for reacting to a bad tackle. Plus we had six players walking the tightrope on yellows yesterday. 

Perhaps if the ref had done his job yesterday the game might have flowed better and there would have been more football played. In that respect we could consider ourselves slightly unlucky, but that would be clutching at straws.

eta paras 5 & 6 comedy gold https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23379885.dougie-imrie-accuses-referee-making-himself/

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

All the post-match updates in place via the home page →

:detective:  CARD HAPPY

Kris Doolan's Jags have yet to concede a first-half goal in their 5 games.
● Almost pleasingly, Stuart Bannigan marks his 350th major competitive appearance with a booking, the first of his testimonial year.
● 6 Jagsmen are booked for the first time since a League game at Celtic Park in Dec 2017, Alan Muir the ref on both occasions. It's the first time we've seen 10 players booked since a 2-2 League draw at Fir Park way back in January 2003.
Dougie Imrie follows his managerial red card vs Thistle with a yellow card against Thistle just 2 months later, Alan Muir the ref both times. Of course, he was also sent off as a player against Thistle. A unique set!
Kris Doolan remains unbeaten in his first 5 competitive matches. Only Alan Archibald (10) has been on a longer run at the beginning of a managerial tenureship.

ongoing sequences:
● 38 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jamie Sneddon - 41 games, 28th Aug 2021 to 9th Jul 2022. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
Edited by The Thistle Archive
  • Like 1

McAvoy looks a class above most if not all in our division, at least on a par with Harry Milne. It looked serious unfortunately.

It would have been possible to catch Gretna 2 if we had won yesterday  and with a fit McAvoy and Milne who both add defensive assurance and creativity.

It looks like 2nd is our best hope.

Morton were right up for it. We eventually got on top because it’s impossible to keep up that intensity for 90 minutes. They’re streetfighters, inspired by a streetfighting manager but not a football team. Both Crawfords, who can playlooked out of place.

All of their back 3 could have been booked for persistent fouling, a law the ref appeared oblivious to. 
We dont play well against these teams. So I’m happy with a point.

17 hours ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Morton are a horrible horrible team, so is their manager. 

Glad we don't play them again this season. 

Oh, and the ref was truly abysmal  too

We may well have two more games with them, this season...

On 3/12/2023 at 11:15 AM, Weebaw1 said:

McAvoy looks a class above most if not all in our division, at least on a par with Harry Milne. It looked serious unfortunately.

It would have been possible to catch Gretna 2 if we had won yesterday  and with a fit McAvoy and Milne who both add defensive assurance and creativity.

It looks like 2nd is our best hope.

Morton were right up for it. We eventually got on top because it’s impossible to keep up that intensity for 90 minutes. They’re streetfighters, inspired by a streetfighting manager but not a football team. Both Crawfords, who can playlooked out of place.

All of their back 3 could have been booked for persistent fouling, a law the ref appeared oblivious to. 
We dont play well against these teams. So I’m happy with a point.

club saying nothing about McAvoy injury, hope it’s not serious 

42 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

I'm in Norfolk this week.  These seals at Horsey reminded me of Lee Bullen. Very aggressive.  Overweight.  The one at the back right, looked like Lee - blubbery,  aggressive,  and wearing white skinny chinos. 😁

20230314_124928.jpg

Lee Bullen wearing Dougie Imrie's trousers? Thanks. Hope I don't have nightmares tonight.