Thistle v Dundee

Albert's Ghost

21 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Cancelled each other out in the main. Biggest opportunity was Fitzpatrick not sending Tiffoney through. What was he thinking?

Ridiculous decision by Fitzy, it just needed a simple pass through for Tiff to run on to. Having said that Tiff ballsed up a great chance in the first have due to a bad touch

9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Yes I think that was a better chance than when Mullen thought he was van Basten. Two incidents both with poor decision making.

Crazy from Mullen after he’d done so well to keep the ball in. QP the big winners from our result today

A dull game with an almost total lack of cohesion, quality and goal threat from both sides - 0-0 was about what they merited...a very good day for Queens Park. Despite barely putting a decent passage of play together we still managed to squander at least four great chances in the second half....Tiff's powderpuff finish, Fitzpatrick failing to put him through, Dowds clumsy touch and Mullen's thrash over the bar,

Dundee passed the ball about their defence and midfield for no apparent purpose...we were without inspiration in a game which we really needed to win.

Defensively we were very good. Don't remember ever feeling like Dundee would score and I don't remember Mitchell having to make a save.

In attack we missed Milne's overlaps. Hodson did ok today. In the first half he got in a decent position but just could not cross with his left foot. Hodson was in general not really offering much in attack.

Tiffoney should score first half when a heavy first touch meant he was too close to the keeper. Mullen should have squared his chance to Dowds at the end but he did at least win and create the chance. Whilst you would hope for more composure I struggle to think of a striker who would not have taken a shot 6 yards out from goal.

Fitzpatrick was awful when he came on. His first touch almost allowed Dundee to get in and I have no idea what was going through his head when he has an easy pass to Tiffoney who would have been clean through on goal. You could see Docherty rightly slaughtering Fitzpatrick as soon as play stopped.

Docherty was a class above today. Best player on the park by a mile.  

I think any vague chance of winning the title has gone. However with our defensive performances improving I think we should make the playoffs and we should be a very difficult to team to beat. If we can somehow get to 2nd place then it could still be a very interesting end to the season.

Last season when we got to the playoffs I couldn't see us beating ICT over 2 legs and even if we had we wouldn't have got past Arbroath and certainly not St Johnstone. This season we are more than capable of beating Dundee, Ayr or Morton.

• Like 1

Dismal today. Left with 5 mins to go. Wish I'd left at half time. Wish I'd put money on the 0-0 I predicted pre match. Hate people that leave early from games. I've only stayed til the final whistle once this season. 5-1 v ICT  

We are so so predictable in our style of play. Amazed that more teams don't take more points off us, but obviously the professionalism at Championship level is really poor as a bit of homework you could easily counter everything we do.

Brownlie best defender in the league (Sure that was a McCall claim) Guy is a solid journeyman hoofball merchant. If he doesn't punt it up the pitch aimlessly, he gives it to the keeper to punt. Grim stuff. 

Anton Duff and Danny Murder can go at the end of season along with Smith and Hodson. 

Big rebuild job in the summer. I'll pay my money again like a sheep but pretty sure I'll not see the end of many games.

Gonna be harder than ever with Dundee Utd, Dunfermline and Falkirk potentially in the league. 

Roll on season 2024-2025

Edited by The Legend Blows

2 hours ago, johnkebab71 said:

Fitzpatrick & Mullen can join Smith on the “first out the door” list in the summer. They just don’t have it. 

You seem to regularly slate Fitzpatrick.  He’s still very young and has scored some vital goals for us not least in league cup which got us the lucrative draw against Aberdeen and even more so in the Scottish cup with the equaliser against pars in the cup.

Dont exactly see Dowds scoring regularly in 2023 

image.jpeg.8c995617a7350a60a0140b700d569068.thumb.jpeg.dbeebb346a8e04bbbda6210a15a962f7.jpeg

Thats the form table from the last 6 games. It also  corresponds to Kris Doolan's 6 games in charge. 

In terms of a title challenge you are looking at an average of 2pts a game over the course of the season, so the numbers give hope if we can keep that rate going. Equates to winning your home games a point on the road.

2 per game isn't quite enough this season, when he took over, and we are looking at an outside chance of second. Most probably third though. 

However, we have certainly sorted out the defence and losing sloppy goals. Now we need to find the scoring touch and who knows where the playoffs takes us.

TL;DR - Good start from Dools but probably not enough to win the league from where he took over, but would have a good chance over the course of a season.

As Kris said, there's still plenty of big games to come. 

Edited by jagfox
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 9:24 AM, Albert's Ghost said:

Felling good about this one.  Team playing well, good big pitch and Dundee not at their best.  We're a bit short of defensive options, but Hodson can fill in if necessary.

On 3/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, westertonjagfan said:

I'm also feeling good about this one. 

You certainly jinxed that one. Both of you have been round for long enough to know that starting the match thread with positive posts is an absolute no-no !

Having said that, I didn't help matters. When I saw the half-time scores I thought to myself "Oh hello ! A cheeky wee goal in the second half would make things interesting !"   DOH !

6 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

You seem to regularly slate Fitzpatrick.  He’s still very young and has scored some vital goals for us not least in league cup which got us the lucrative draw against Aberdeen and even more so in the Scottish cup with the equaliser against pars in the cup.

Think Aiden Fitzpatrick polarises opinion because of the ability he has and he could probably play at a much higher level . Think Dools doesn’t trust him to do the closing down ,working hard defensively etc. part of the game .

Some of the players like BG have spoken to him but I’m not sure it has made any difference .

9 minutes ago, javeajag said:

We are simply not good enough and we don’t look like a championship winning team. Hard to see us coming through the play offs if we make them. A severe lack of creativity is becoming evident. And this league next season is going to be very difficult again.

The counter to that is that we have become a very difficult team to beat. That is a very good trait for the playoffs, especially if we can nick second place.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Think Aiden Fitzpatrick polarises opinion because of the ability he has and he could probably play at a much higher level . Think Dools doesn’t trust him to do the closing down ,working hard defensively etc. part of the game .

Some of the players like BG have spoken to him but I’m not sure it has made any difference .

May well be correct. Sometimes attacking wide players are totally inept at the defensive side of things. Either too frail or give away unnecessary fouls. Not so with Fitzpatrick who can do all that hard work. Last game against Cove he was everywhere and really worked his socks off that day, especially after Graham was sent off. Why we've not really seen that sort of work rate from him since has been disappointing. Considering he's usually only on the pitch for less than 30 mins rules out tiredness on his part.

The irony being (not gonna read too much into it) in yon game against Cove he played the full 90 mins. His running/ground covered stats that day will have been impressive.  Again not reading too much into it but he's not been selected to start since.

8 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He’s had a couple of decent games and a few good moments over the season but nowhere good enough to be near a promotion seeking team. Still looks like he’s blowing out his arse at this stage, decision making and work rate is abysmal. 

Need better than him if we want to go anywhere. 

He was worth a punt but hopefully it was a 1 year contract. not worked out. He will end up down the leagues.

Agree that I can’t see Dowds scoring a lot of goals. Works hard but just doesn’t happen for him.