JAGS v fake jags..

Jimmy McD

On 3/25/2023 at 10:02 AM, topcat said:

Were don't do corners do we. 

Must have had about...well I don't know a lot in that second half. My mates all bet on weird stuff like who will have a shot on target or who will get a red card etc,  but I bet you would have won a fortune if you could have put a bet on the exact amount of corners we had.

But I say that with my reflection on the game. We pummelled them with enthusiasm but lacked a killer touch. 

I reckon at least 20 corner kicks

I think the heavy pitch didn't suit us trying to pass it into the net. But I can't say it was a bad performance or criticise effort. Inverness defended really well. It was also 1-0 not 4-0 so we move on and keep battling for that play-off spot.

If you can believe the BBC stats...

Possession 59% (ICT 41%)

Shots 11 (ICT 9)

On Target 6 (ICT 5)

Corners 12 (ICT 2)

Fouls 6 (ICT 15)

I agree the corners (and indeed all crosses into the box) were poor but we had lots of opportunities to get them right!

Corners have been poor in the last few weeks and part of that is Muirhead not being in the team.

At the moment all corners are being fired at the far post with Holt, Brownlie and Graham standing in similar areas hoping to out jump their opponent. 

Muirhead is very good at doing a quick near post run and often getting to the ball before a defender can react but at the very least his run causes the opposing defence to move and stretches them as they have to cover more than one area.

I'm suprised that Doolan hasn't told Holt, Brownlie or Graham to copy that run.

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

Corners have been poor in the last few weeks and part of that is Muirhead not being in the team.

At the moment all corners are being fired at the far post with Holt, Brownlie and Graham standing in similar areas hoping to out jump their opponent. 

Muirhead is very good at doing a quick near post run and often getting to the ball before a defender can react but at the very least his run causes the opposing defence to move and stretches them as they have to cover more than one area.

I'm suprised that Doolan hasn't told Holt, Brownlie or Graham to copy that run.

Valid point but Holt, Brownlie and Graham are all very experienced players. It's hard to believe that they lack the gumption to vary their positioning.

Can't speak for Friday night but I've noticed Turner's deliveries have been for want of a better expression more "floated" of late. The ball hanging in the air that second or two longer. Much may be due to a blustery wind, which we experienced at Cappielow and against Dundee. 

What we probably can agree on is our attacking set pieces haven't been as effective of late. Something we relied on earlier to compensate perhaps for a lack of scoring from open play and particularly goals from midfield.  

18 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I’d keep the full backs, Tiffoney and Docherty. The rest can go. I appreciate this cannot happen but Dools has a hell of a task to rebuild the stodgiest team.

I think that is harsh on both keepers who have not done much wrong, and have won us some points, although distribution could be improved. I would also keep Holt who has been mostly solid in defence and does offer some threat at set pieces.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Actually, Mullen is showing that if he gets good service he can find the net.

In the meantime, Alegria has departed the currant buns despite still having time left on his contract.

Please, Jags, no more OF duds!!

For me Mullen spends to much time outside the box. Any time he has scored iirc he has been in where you would expect/want your main striker to be. If he did more of that imo he would have scored more goals for us.

Agree regarding OF duds.