Journey of disCOVEry

partickthedog

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not too sure but definitely wide. Strong enough to play full back and fast enough to play in wide midfield. Echo partickthedog re the quality of his cross for no5. Excellent build just before as well.

Thought our only fault today was letting them get too much of the ball after the break. We'd previously not given them much of a touch. The third goal was all important.

Agree....looks a solid wide midfielder. 

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not too sure but definitely wide. Strong enough to play full back and fast enough to play in wide midfield. Echo partickthedog re the quality of his cross for no5. Excellent build just before as well.

Thought our only fault today was letting them get too much of the ball after the break. We'd previously not given them much of a touch. The third goal was all important.

Zander today reminded me of the way a young Stephen O’Donnell was deployed when he first broke into the Thistle first team as a strong running wide midfield player, before settling back into an attacking fullback/wingback type role.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, javeajag said:

As ever the starting and end point is rather important … Doolan has done ok but factually that’s it .

The difference is not the points per game, or that we have moved from 5th to 4th. For most of us, we are now looking up the table rather than over our shoulders. There is a feeling of optimism around Firhill now.

Watched the highlights on Jagzone (3 times). Who was that guy wearing number 8 who continually passed the ball forwards? According to the team sheet his name is Bannigan but as a regular reader of contributions to topics on this forum, according to some that guy only passes sideways and backwards, so it couldn't possibly have been him!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, QXBoy said:

Watched the highlights on Jagzone (3 times). Who was that guy wearing number 8 who continually passed the ball forwards? According to the team sheet his name is Bannigan but as a regular reader of contributions to topics on this forum, according to some that guy only passes sideways and backwards, so it couldn't possibly have been him!

Obviously a doppelganger used by Doolan. Scandalous. 

All the post-match updates in place via the home page →

:detective:   GOALDEN OLDIES
● The average age of Thistle's starting eleven (30y, 0m, 18d) is over 30 for only the 7th time in history and for the first time since Dick Campbell's Jags (30y, 1m, 12d) lost 6-1 at Gretna in January 2006.
Aaron Muirhead becomes the 5th member of the current squad to hit the 100 competitive appearances milestone. Aero hits the 50% win-ratio mark and now has a 33% clean-sheet ratio.
Steven Lawless becomes the 50th player in Partick Thistle history to register 50 goals in 'All Games'.
● After 8 games, Kris Doolan's Jags have yet to concede a first half goal, and it's 9-in-a-row for the club overall.
Brian Graham becomes the 51st player in Partick Thistle history to register 50 goals in 'All Games'!
● With his 10th competitive assist of the season, Kyle Turner hits double figures for the second season in a row. To put this into perspective, he's one of only two Jags to register double figures in any of the last 10 seasons, Kallum Higginbotham being the other.
● For only the second time in history, three players aged 30+ (Steven Lawless, Brian Graham & Kevin Holt) score for Thistle in the same League game. The only other occurrence was on 11th February 2004 when goals from Gerry Britton, James Grady & Andy Thomson contributed to a 5-2 win at home to Livingston in the Scottish Premier League.
● 17-year-old Zander MacKenzie registers his first competitive assist, having first assisted as a 15-year-old in a friendly at East Kilbride back in July, 2021.
Danny Mullen nets his 4th goal as a Jag and Thistle keep up their 100% win rate when he does so.
● Covid-restricted games aside, the attendance of 1,044 is Thistle's lowest League crowd since 716 turned out for a midweek game away to Cowdenbeath on 27th March, 2013.
● It's 7th time lucky for Partick Thistle who finally manage to win versus Cove Rangers in the League.

ongoing sequences:
● 41 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jamie Sneddon - 41 games, 28th Aug 2021 to 9th Jul 2022. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Love your stats.

I know we have finally beaten Cove in a League game, but Cove have never lost at Firhill. Are there any other clubs who are unbeaten at Firhill ? (I don’t count Elgin or Edinburgh who we have never played)

Honved

• Haha 1

Thanks for above TTA :thumbsup2:

The average age of Thistle's starting eleven (30y, 0m, 18d) is over 30 for only the 7th time in history and for the first time since Dick Campbell's Jags (30y, 1m, 12d) lost 6-1 at Gretna in January 2006.

This sticks out. I won't be alone when I say back at the beginning of the season I thought we'd assembled a very decent squad with strength in depth. We all know now that is largely not the case as injuries to key players knocked us for six. In truth every manager will get caught out at some time for not signing the best of "squad players". McCall didn't get away with it this season. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Fans will have varying views re the "what ifs". Personally I believe if we'd not lost certain players thru injuries we'd have been stick ons to make the play offs and have a reasonable chance of getting promoted. That's of course all subjective. What certainly isn't is the elderly age of the squad. This is something that shouldn't happen.

I may sound churlish after celebrating such a good win but I strongly believe that a club that's aiming for promotion as opposed to just staying in the division need to bed in younger players to manage the step up. Last weeks 12/13 celebration just reinforces this opinion. It's my guess that Kris Doolan will think similarly and will want to redress the average age come summer.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

We did beat Cove at home in the Scottish Cup of 2012, so If we're talking competitive action, there's only 4 teams we've played and failed to beat at Firhill...

Honvéd, Orient, NK Zagreb (once each) and Gretna (4 times)

Thanks for that. I should have got Orient, but crazy we never once beat Gretna. Also I could have sworn that the Cove cup game was away.

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Presumably the Scotland manager will have been mightily impressed by Scott Fox's ability to keep the score relatively low, at 5.

International recognition surely beckons.... again.......

During the second half the Thistle support were constantly reminding Mr Fox about his international career. I thought that was a nice touch.