Remaining Fixtures

Fawlty Towers

30 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Whilst it would be a feather in our cap I’m not convinced promotion at this time would necessarily be in the best interest of the club.

Would be delighted if it happened but it would be tempered by a certain anxiety for next season.

I'm always tempered by a certain anxiety whatever season JeanieD.

44 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Whilst it would be a feather in our cap I’m not convinced promotion at this time would necessarily be in the best interest of the club.

Would be delighted if it happened but it would be tempered by a certain anxiety for next season.

Financially it would be beneficial. And the lure of Champions League football and cash the following season would be pretty good. 

And I'd rather fight relegation in the Premiership to the Championship giving our anticipated financial difficulties. 

Edited by Garscube Road End 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JeanieD said:

I think you are right. We don’t have the finances to meaningfully challenge in the top flight just now. 

Maybe this season we mark time in the Championship and look to go up after that?

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

And I'd rather fight relegation in the Premiership to the Championship giving our anticipated financial difficulties. 

Agree. For operational reasons the Club may not wish to be too open re our finances, but as long as the fans appreciate the situation, up and straight down shouldn't necessarily be a morale buster.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

44 minutes ago, sandy said:

I think you are right. We don’t have the finances to meaningfully challenge in the top flight just now. 

Maybe this season we mark time in the Championship and look to go up after that?

Promotion this season would give us a better chance to be competitive the year after next. With our finances supposedly in a poor state we are unlikely to have a better chance for some time.

1 hour ago, sandy said:

Next season, with either Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock or Ross County coming down and with Dunfermline coming up, next season's league is going to be really tough.  I think we would struggle to make top 4, never mind coming up. I believe this is the season we are best placed to go up. Otherwise I think we will languish in the Championship for years and our financial ability lessens.

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Next season, with either Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock or Ross County coming down and with Dunfermline coming up, next season's league is going to be really tough.  I think we would struggle to make top 4, never mind coming up. I believe this is the season we are best placed to go up. Otherwise I think we will languish in the Championship for years and our financial ability lessens.

I suppose if we had Killie, Dundee Utd, Pars & Falkirk all in the same division we'd at least have more dosh thru the turnstiles. But I share your concern it would probably be quite an expense to put a top 4 team together.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I've never really understood the idea that there isn't a right time/season to be promoted. If somehow we manage to make it up this year we will have a season in a league with extra income. Even if we come straight back down that has to be a better financial state of affairs than another season in the Championship.

As others have mentioned next season's championship could be a far more difficult league and one were our budget is likely to be at best middle of the pack and perhaps doing well to avoid the relegation playoff. If we can avoid a season in that environment by being a league above that's got to be a good thing as well.

From what I can since 2012/13 only 1 team has been promoted and then relegated the following season (Dundee). Whilst the standard of the championship this year is not great it still suggests that gap to the premiership is not as big as we would fear.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, laukat said:

I've never really understood the idea that there isn't a right time/season to be promoted. If somehow we manage to make it up this year we will have a season in a league with extra income. Even if we come straight back down that has to be a better financial state of affairs than another season in the Championship.

As others have mentioned next season's championship could be a far more difficult league and one were our budget is likely to be at best middle of the pack and perhaps doing well to avoid the relegation playoff. If we can avoid a season in that environment by being a league above that's got to be a good thing as well.

From what I can since 2012/13 only 1 team has been promoted and then relegated the following season (Dundee). Whilst the standard of the championship this year is not great it still suggests that gap to the premiership is not as big as we would fear.

Having watched Dundee United play Hibs today I can assure you that it is not.

Also with Hearts now looking for a manager we better make sure Doolan's contract has a large compensation clause!

• Like 1

I think the right time to get propmoted is right now.  Who knows what is around the corner.  Much as I can't see us being over-competitive in the Premiership I can't really see any Championship team this year being anything but the bottom 3-4 next season.

I am in it to win it.

• Like 2

The notion of “better to get promoted next season instead” is nonsense. You don’t get to pick and chose some kind of optimal timing due to numerous variables. If the opportunity is there you must go for it - and that’s exactly what the manager and players are doing.. going for it! 

• Like 3

My initial thoughts were perhaps not best expressed and some of the responses were better rationalised. Whilst the rewards associated with promotion are - for a club of our size  - enticing, my trepidation is based on the outlay that the club would have to make in order to have a reasonable chance of staying up and the probability that the outlay (assuming it can be funded in the first place) might have to outstrip the rewards and the subsequent financial meltdown that could arise if relegation follows. 

Perhaps I am being overly cautious as regards finance but then again perhaps I am being overly optimistic as regards our promotion prospects? 

Also in the premier league you have to contend with 2 lots of officials getting it wrong. The on field ones and the VAR ones.:happy2:

I agree with everybody who says if we are in with a chance of promotion we go for it. Look at Livingstone and St. Mirren how well they have done, we should be able to compete with teams like them.

49 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Stranger things have happened, but if that happened, I think there would be calls for a match fixing investigation.

I doubt it. Results have been close between the two teams and raith beat them in the challenge Cup a few months back.