Remaining Fixtures

Fawlty Towers

I'd be disappointed is PTFC didn't do everything they could to win promotion. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what football leagues are all about. If we make it, to promotion, then great. If we fail to make promotion, then I for one will be, ahem, upset.

Will it stop me supporting the team? Obviously not.

Long term fans, and I include myself in that group, will shrug it off  and move on.

But it would be a disappointment.

I think PTFC can cut the mustard in the Premier League.

But a fan would say that, wouldn't they?

44 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Better still: win them all, and see what happens!

Absolutely. If we do end up in the play offs (and in the end if Dundee can squeeze out 7 points from their remaining 4 games, there is nothing we can do about that), what is vital is that we come in on a good run of form with positive momentum. Last season we crawled and collapsed into the play offs, and it was hardly surprising that we could not belatedly raise our game to meet the Inverness test. If the team is performing well, scoring often and conceding rarely, players and fans can approach the play offs with a spring in their step.

Having said all that, there can be no complacency whatsoever. Morton in 6th place are closer to us in 3rd place than we are to Dundee in 1st place.

Results tonight were both expected and not as bad as they first appear.

If there is even an outside possibility of catching Dundee we need teams to take points from Dundee. That was never going to be Raith. It was always going to be Morton, ICT and Queens Park.

With Morton and ICT winning tonight, Morton go to Dens park on Saturday knowing they can't afford another loss if they retain hopes of the top 4 as ICT are at Cove which is close to an automatic 3 points. With us playing Ayr, Morton must know that a loss could leave them 4 points from 4th with 3 games to go.

The following Saturday ICT have Dundee in Inverness. Again ICT can't afford not to take points.

That being said Dundee now only need 6 points to put the title beyond us given their superior goal difference. They have Cove at Dens park so 1 more win is enough for them so it would take a monumental bottle crash for them not to win the league.

Right now my guess is the final top 4 is:

Dundee
Us
Queens Park
ICT

ICT are the strongest team bar us out of that so I hope they somehow miss out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Absolutely. If we do end up in the play offs (and in the end if Dundee can squeeze out 7 points from their remaining 4 games, there is nothing we can do about that), what is vital is that we come in on a good run of form with positive momentum. Last season we crawled and collapsed into the play offs, and it was hardly surprising that we could not belatedly raise our game to meet the Inverness test. If the team is performing well, scoring often and conceding rarely, players and fans can approach the play offs with a spring in their step.

Having said all that, there can be no complacency whatsoever. Morton in 6th place are closer to us in 3rd place than we are to Dundee in 1st place.

Agree. If we can continue our good run of form that would prove the difference that Dools and Paul have made.

9 minutes ago, laukat said:

Results tonight were both expected and not as bad as they first appear.

If there is even an outside possibility of catching Dundee we need teams to take points from Dundee. That was never going to be Raith. It was always going to be Morton, ICT and Queens Park.

With Morton and ICT winning tonight, Morton go to Dens park on Saturday knowing they can't afford another loss if they retain hopes of the top 4 as ICT are at Cove which is close to an automatic 3 points. With us playing Ayr, Morton must know that a loss could leave them 4 points from 4th with 3 games to go.

The following Saturday ICT have Dundee in Inverness. Again ICT can't afford not to take points.

That being said Dundee now only need 6 points to put the title beyond us given their superior goal difference. They have Cove at Dens park so 1 more win is enough for them so it would take a monumental bottle crash for them not to win the league.

Right now my guess is the final top 4 is:

Dundee
Us
Queens Park
ICT

ICT are the strongest team bar us out of that so I hope they somehow miss out.

ICT also have a cup semi final with a fair chance of making the final to think about. So that might mean them taking their eye of the league action.

6 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

ICT also have a cup semi final with a fair chance of making the final to think about. So that might mean them taking their eye of the league action.

Where it might really become a factor is with the playoffs. I think the Scottish cup final is scheduled for the 3rd June and the finals of the playoffs are scheduled for 1st and 4th June. 

I can't see the SFA helping the championship club by rearranging the playoff or the final so ICT would have to play 3 games in 4 days. Which would they prioritise?

1 hour ago, laukat said:

That being said Dundee now only need 6 points to put the title beyond us given their superior goal difference.

Would venture to disagree on this particular point. Our goal difference is only 6 worse than Dundee's and we have already scored more goals than Dundee. Just say Dundee were now to lose 2 games 1-0 and we were to win 2 games 2-0 we would then be ahead on goal difference. Unlikely, but by no means impossible. Dundee need 7 points to put the title beyond us, which at least gives us a tiny bit more hope! 

I agree that expecting Cove to take points from Dundee is probably futile optimism. However, is there a straw at which we can grasp in the person of the King of the Greeting Faced Moaners Mr Paul Hartley? As a former Dundee manager he will not be wanting to be humiliated by them and to be hearing “Cheer up” taunts from their fans.

That and Cove’s desperate need for points to claw themselves away from the foot of the table might just be enough to spring a surprise!?

Only if/when the league is won by Dundee, we're assured of a play off place AND we can't improve on that place will Dools have decisions to make. Till then, and anyway that probably means all 36 games, we play our strongest side. Other seasons teams will have rested players to keep them fit or fresh for the play offs. I doubt we'll have the luxury of having such a decision to make.

38 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Only if/when the league is won by Dundee, we're assured of a play off place AND we can't improve on that place will Dools have decisions to make. Till then, and anyway that probably means all 36 games, we play our strongest side. Other seasons teams will have rested players to keep them fit or fresh for the play offs. I doubt we'll have the luxury of having such a decision to make.

I think all the other teams in contention for the playoffs are in the same position this season. I don’t think anything will be decided until the final day.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Let’s just get past Saturday first. It is by no means a gimme.

This is what i was meaning in the post below. We all know how our form can swing from looking unbeatable to can't win a game.

15 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Imo we are now going for a top 4 place. A win on Saturday and then another win from our remaining 3 games should do it. Our superior goal difference Is like an extra point over ICT and Morton.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

If we go into the last match within three points of the top then anything can happen. That's still absolutely realistic. So I wouldn't be conceding anything at this stage.

We still need to make sure of our top 4 place first, which starts with getting a win against Ayr.