Remaining Fixtures

Fawlty Towers

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Only if/when the league is won by Dundee, we're assured of a play off place AND we can't improve on that place will Dools have decisions to make. Till then, and anyway that probably means all 36 games, we play our strongest side. Other seasons teams will have rested players to keep them fit or fresh for the play offs. I doubt we'll have the luxury of having such a decision to make.

We’ve clearly been keeping Smith for the playoffs ;)

35 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

We still need to make sure of our top 4 place first, which starts with getting a win against Ayr. 

It's all a bit moot but I don't think you secure a place in the play offs first and then push for the title. Surely you push for the title first and then fall back into the play offs if you don't quite make it.

Half empty half full potato potahto. :)

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Being optimistic about other teams chances and pessimistic about your own teams chances, that's  called being a Jags supporter.

I'm staying optimistic about our own chances, as I think we can win all of our remaining games.

The biggy for me is Dundee on Saturday. If they drop any points, they then have two tough away games at ICT and QP.

They've not exactly been brilliant all season and could still bottle it.

If they win on Saturday, then I think that's probably it. 

3 hours ago, allyo said:

It's all a bit moot but I don't think you secure a place in the play offs first and then push for the title. Surely you push for the title first and then fall back into the play offs if you don't quite make it.

Half empty half full potato potahto. :)

Just saying that we need to be aware that Inverness are just 3 points behind and Morton 4. It’s one game at a time for me, instead of getting ahead to where we might be  in 3 weeks time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Just saying that we need to be aware that Inverness are just 3 points behind and Morton 4. It’s one game at a time for me, instead of getting ahead to where we might be  in 3 weeks time.

I’m pretty sure that’s what Dools and the players will be thinking

Letting my head rule my heart there is no doubt that as WoodstockJag has said the title is Dundee's to lose.  

I also agree with those posters who have said we can only focus on our own games.

I have thought for the past few weeks that we need to win our last 5/6 games. We have got off to a good start against Cove and Queens Park, 2 wins, , 6 points and a goal difference of 9-0.

Of the top 6 teams I think that when we beat Ayr at home on Saturday we have, on paper, the easiest run in!

We play Hamilton, Arbroath and Raith who are 9, 8 and 7 in the table. There is no reason why we can't win these games and finish with 63 points.

We are playing with confidence and have the momentum.. I recognise 63 points may not be enough but we have to give go for it!

The two things we must do are beat Ayr on Saturday and for the remaining games forget we are Partick Thistle and for a short time at least be predictable and win games we are expected to win.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cfirejkl said:

Championship table makes every game meaningful 

Accies have a lot to play for tonight and Queens will want to stay in touch with Dundee.  Unfortunately Hamilton just played three nights ago….but hopefully they can snatch at least a point.

Hamilton then play ICT on Tuesday and then us next Saturday. A gruelling run of fixtures in a relatively short space of time.

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

They have taken 4 points of us already this season we seem to be the team they raise their game for

Before tonight Accies had beaten ICT 3 times out of 3.

If Ayr beat Queens Park on Friday we do drop out of the top 4 but we just need to remember that if we win our final 3 games we can't finish worse than 3rd.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Before tonight Accies had beaten ICT 3 times out of 3.

If Ayr beat Queens Park on Friday we do drop out of the top 4 but we just need to remember that if we win our final 3 games we can't finish worse than 3rd.

In a typically Thistley way, dropping out of the top 4 would actually be the best result for us on Friday.

Play with the same lack of intensity as v Ayr we'll have a real struggle on our hands. Too much been said about Brownlie's **** up and not so much about our inability to score a second goal. 

Excuse me while i have a straw clutching moment. But what last night's result may have done in our favour is making it a stronger possibility that Arbroath will be safe from the play offs when we play them. It certainly means Accies need all three points this Saturday. I feel we're slightly better suited to playing teams that have to come out their shell. 

Its all getting pretty congested at the top of the league. With the fixtures remaining 57 points now guarantees a playoff spot.

There is a scenario that means going into the last game of the season the top 5 could be separated by 1 point. 

For it to happen it would require the following

Dundee lose to ICT and Cove. Queens lose to Ayr and Morton. We beat Hamilton and Arbroath. Ayr also beat Raith. At this moment the only part of that that looks really unlikely is Dundee losing to Cove.

The last round of fixtures for the top 5 is also pretty interesting with Queens at Dens Park and ICT at home to Ayr. 

Don't think I've seen a league where half of the teams in it could still technically win it with so few games to play.

10 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

In a typically Thistley way, dropping out of the top 4 would actually be the best result for us on Friday.

It is always the case at the this time of the season that the phrase "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" rings true. Whilst we don't want Ayr passing us we also want Queens Park dropping points. Ultimately though we can only win our game so let's hope we achieve that against Accies.

Dools has collected 19pts from his 10 games in charge, recent form has dropped off a bit with 8 pts from the last 5. Obviously, things will look a lot rosier with a win on Saturday.

ICT hitting a great run of form, puts a concern on getting a playoff place, but that is in our own hands, IF we win out.

I'd still say Dundee will win the league, QP and ICT probably fighting it out for second and third. Thistle will probably finish fourth, but we'd want to go into those games on a decent run of wins, but you never know, in this league.

A loss on Saturday and it might even be a struggle for that, lowly target.

Interesting times...

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Dools has collected 19pts from his 10 games in charge, recent form has dropped off a bit with 8 pts from the last 5. Obviously, things will look a lot rosier with a win on Saturday.

ICT hitting a great run of form, puts a concern on getting a playoff place, but that is in our own hands, IF we win out.

I'd still say Dundee will win the league, QP and ICT probably fighting it out for second and third. Thistle will probably finish fourth, but we'd want to go into those games on a decent run of wins, but you never know, in this league.

Interesting times...

ICT only have 2 games left vs Dundee and Ayr. IF we win our games we will be no worse than third.

5 hours ago, jagfox said:

Interesting times...

As they still have to play each other, It would take some very specific results for Dundee to be top and ICT in the top 3.