Silencing the Hampden Roar

partickthedog

45 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Another bonus from last night is that we have turned the tables on Queens Park as regards goal difference, which might possibly become very important.

Agree. After starting the last 2 match threads, i take it you will be starting the Ayr one next week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Still hurts about McCall does it? Your lot were in denial right up to his sacking. He should have gone earlier. He probably cost us automatic promotion. 

No it doesn't 'hurt' at all. That's because I have moved on from what I consider was a period that did not reflect well on the club I have supported for over 60 years.

I said some time ago that I would not be commenting on the Ian McCall scenario again. However I will not be slated by gloating, single mined folk for having an opinion with which they (whoever they are) disagree.

So my final comment to you will be I fully support Kris Doolan and the team and I would like to wish you every success in your attempts to move on.

There is no 'you/your lot'! We are all Jags fans but with different opinions which in a democracy should be respected.

Cheers.

• Like 4

I can only count for myself and the good few Jags fans I regularly meet at games. There was virtually nothing to indicate there was ever a pro McCall/anti McCall divide. I'd suggest any serious polarisation is/was a forum/online thingy. Kinda like your happy clapper/grumpy moaner stuff. Fans I know, the ones I meet home and away, are a far more pragmatic breed and won't appreciate being labelled in one camp or the other.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, eljaggo said:

What a performance! 

Unfair and completely wrong to single out individual players for praise.  Defence was immaculate, midfield worked like trojans in defence and attack, and the movement up front was just stunning.  We must have won 80% of 50:50 balls in tackles, and that alone made a huge contribution.

What a difference Doolan has made, and his impressive interview after the match showed someone who has a clearly thought out strategy, to which the players obviously wholeheartedly subscribe.

The Club has been transformed by the departure of the previous board and management, and it has been a long time since I felt so positive about our prospects both on and off the pitch.

Think the biggest difference is what you say is the work rate and the fitness of the team.

In Dools we trust.

4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

No jinx at all, AJ.

Kevin Holt last night was instructive, constructive and destructive, and definitely indestructible. 

Always believing!

Love this post. Results today  certainly went our way and made last night's terrific  result even better.

Doolans post match comments about training to play quick one pass movements in the final third and defending starting with the front 3 were very interesting. I have never seen Tiffoney doing so much back tracking,  harassing the defender and winning or contributing to winning the ball back. He was immense! A brilliant team performance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Love this post. Results today  certainly went our way and made last night's terrific  result even better.

Doolans post match comments about training to play quick one pass movements in the final third and defending starting with the front 3 were very interesting. I have never seen Tiffoney doing so much back tracking,  harassing the defender and winning or contributing to winning the ball back. He was immense! A brilliant team performance.

Totally agree about Tiff. I wouldn't mind seeing his stats for the distance he covered last night-he was full of fight and energy. 

Not to get in to any Doolan/McCall debate but I do prefer listening to Doolan in the interviews - he comes across so well and this seems to be the case, going by results, in the dressing room as well.

Disappointed that they did not ask Holt if he is claiming an assist for Mullen's goal with the pass off his own nose!

11 defeats for both Thistle and Arbroath, yet one going for the title, 1 battling relegation, crazy League. Been a great weekend for Glasgow's finest, and most of the post-match updates are in place on our Archive with reports, videos and whatnot...

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/

:detective:  SECOND HALF BONANZA

● After 9 games, Kris Doolan's Jags have yet to concede a first half goal, and it's 10-in-a-row for the club overall.
● For the second time in his Thistle career Kevin Holt scores in back-to-back League games. Thistle have won all 8 League games in which the big defender has scored.
Jack McMillan becomes just the third Jag (after Higginbotham and Turner) to register double figures in competitive assists in any of the last 10 seasons.
Danny Mullen nets his 5th goal as a Jag and Thistle keep up their 100% win rate when he does so.
● With his 92nd minute strike, Kevin Holt scores Thistle's 200th competitive home goal versus Queen's Park.
● These sides have now went 43 years without a draw against each other, an unlikely 21-game run.
● It's 5 clean-sheets in the last 6 games for player-of-the-month David Mitchell who has yet to concede a goal at Firhill this year.
● Thistle score 4 second half goals at Firhill for the first time since 21st Februrary 2012 when they came from behind to win 4-2 at home to Ayr United in the League.
● Thistle are now joint-top scorers in this season's championship, alongside Queen's Park on 58 goals.
● Thistle had kept only 2 League clean-sheets in their first 23 games, but have registered 7 in just 9 games under Kris Doolan.
● Thistle had played Cove Rangers and Queen's Park 6 times in the League this season without a win, but have slaughtered both those clubs 9-0 on aggregate in just 7 days under Kris Doolan.

ongoing sequences:
● 42 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: James Penrice - 51 games, 7th Sep 2019 to 10th Apr 2021. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Going by his comments he really likes Thistle. Interesting to hear the 2 English supporters saying that they feel a lot of the English clubs have lost their connections with fans and not as welcoming.

To some extent I've got sympathy with a lot of English clubs outside the Premier League. Due to the absurdity of the top tier they appear to be forced into overspending on wages just to stand still. There's bound to be disengagement  when you get players at a bang average club on earnings many times more than the average fan. Looks to often be the case the only time you get a club engaging with their support is when they run into financial difficulties.

That's a tremendous podcast(?). If the Club were to put out a video "selling" PTFC/Firhill to potential fans they could hardly do much better. If there was someway of showing this fella's video at the likes of Fresher's Week etc we'd be sure to get a few more along.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

To some extent I've got sympathy with a lot of English clubs outside the Premier League. Due to the absurdity of the top tier they appear to be forced into overspending on wages just to stand still. There's bound to be disengagement  when you get players at a bang average club on earnings many times more than the average fan. Looks to often be the case the only time you get a club engaging with their support is when they run into financial difficulties.

That's a tremendous podcast(?). If the Club were to put out a video "selling" PTFC/Firhill to potential fans they could hardly do much better. If there was someway of showing this fella's video at the likes of Fresher's Week etc we'd be sure to get a few more along.

Yes, this video would be a very good one for somebody to watch who wasn't sure about going to Firhill. I also seen another video online from a younger Scottish boy who went in amongst the young fans in the John Lambie stand on Friday night another great advert for Thistle and Firhill. Sorry i do not know how to post a link to it.

With regard the English clubs a number of them  have set themselves back years by trying to chase the 'promised land' that is the Premier league, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday are 2 that spring to mind. Spent or are still spending a number of years in lower leagues because of wages they paid to try and stay in the top league. On the side of the coin Burnley and Norwich seem to accept that they could be yoyo clubs and budget accordingly.

18 hours ago, jagfox said:

Interesting that in the post match comments,Danny Mullen said that the big difference is we go into matches, with a gameplan these days.

I noted in his interview Doolan said they know what the the club should look like "on and off the pitch". So far he is doing well with the on the pitch stuff so let's hope we are moving towards being better off it as well. On that note I read today that Gerry Britton had been interviewed by Motherwell for their CEO position (someone else is getting it). The Raith chairman has also said recently they are going to appoint a CEO who has experience in that role - it might not be Gerry but if there was a vacancy there it could give us an opportunity to re-energise things off the pitch.

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I noted in his interview Doolan said they know what the the club should look like "on and off the pitch". So far he is doing well with the on the pitch stuff so let's hope we are moving towards being better off it as well. On that note I read today that Gerry Britton had been interviewed by Motherwell for their CEO position (someone else is getting it). 

That "someone else" is reportedly Mark McGhee. Imagine being interviewed for a job and losing out to Mark F. N. McGhee of all people!