Hamilton entry

a f kincaid

5 hours ago, javeajag said:

I’m comparing him with I assume his targets……win the league or make the playoffs….finishing fifth with the second best manager form guide is actually failure.

Comparing him against one of your assumptions isn’t exactly science. We all get the fact you liked McCall, but he’s gone.

Time to get behind Dools properly. He’s started well and will continue to learn. And he will re-shape the squad this summer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

In case you have forgotten, we terminated the contracts of 3 staff and gave another notice to be replaced by 2 much more inexperienced(maybe less expensive) staff. I suggest that the change wasn’t only a football decision. Being happy and what the board would find acceptable are two entirely different things. But, as I said, we haven’t finished 5th yet.

I actually dont understand this … we did replace 3 staff with 2 cheaper options but we are still paying 4 (I assume Archibald is now off the payroll ) so we didn’t change manager for financial reasons but footballing ones.

5 hours ago, javeajag said:

Can I exempt Fitzpatrick from that …..I’m disappointed he doesn’t have seemed to have learned much from his time at Norwich about diet and lifestyle and he looks overweight 

Agree re Fitzpatrick, the only player out of the 22 on Saturday who went off with cramp , ridiculous for a 22yr old player 

On 4/22/2023 at 11:43 PM, dagenum said:

image.thumb.png.6d522f903a884b541839e4fefb0e839a.png

Makes no difference now but Graham was onside for what should have been the winner. Screenshot shows ball just after leaving Holt's head.

5 Thistle players in the box and 2 on the edge. After getting an injury time equaliser we were still going for the winner. Good to see that attitude.

We will need to keep that sort of attitude going in the remaining 2 league games and also in the playoffs, if we get there.

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

In case you have forgotten, we terminated the contracts of 3 staff and gave another notice to be replaced by 2 much more inexperienced(maybe less expensive) staff. I suggest that the change wasn’t only a football decision. Being happy and what the board would find acceptable are two entirely different things. But, as I said, we haven’t finished 5th yet.

And we might not have finished 5th under McCall. The trajectory was downward at the time. I certainly doubt we would have been in with a decent shout of 2nd.

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

I actually dont understand this … we did replace 3 staff with 2 cheaper options but we are still paying 4 (I assume Archibald is now off the payroll ) so we didn’t change manager for financial reasons but footballing ones.

We are paying 2 cheaper instead of 3 more expensive and 1 other will be finished at the season’s end instead of then giving him notice.(and paying for longer).This is all financial. There could have been no logical football reason that Doolan would achieve anything that McCall wouldn’t. 

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

We are paying 2 cheaper instead of 3 more expensive and 1 other will be finished at the season’s end instead of then giving him notice.(and paying for longer).This is all financial. There could have been no logical football reason that Doolan would achieve anything that McCall wouldn’t. 

The logic is that, while McCall did ok, he couldn’t take us any higher. We plateaued. In my opinion, this was due to being tactically suspect and also, crucially was unable to motivate (Cove and Hamilton).

Doolan so far, with our best players injured, appears so far to be able to adapt to circumstances and extract more from the players (except Fitzpatrick).

7 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

The logic is that, while McCall did ok, he couldn’t take us any higher. We plateaued. In my opinion, this was due to being tactically suspect and also, crucially was unable to motivate (Cove and Hamilton).

Doolan so far, with our best players injured, appears so far to be able to adapt to circumstances and extract more from the players (except Fitzpatrick).

There was definite logic that McCall’s time was up, but not that Doolan was the person to replace him, is the point I am making as there were was no managerial history to go on.
It looks to have been a punt by the board that has been paying off so far, both by getting more good results than bad and some healthy Firhill attendances.

8 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Agree with all that. But even if it was thought McCall could've got us a wee bit higher I reckon there's a general opinion that the management/coaching set up was never going to hack it in the top tier. That in itself makes the sacking decision that bit more logical.

My fear is that if we don't get promoted Doolan will be asked (due to finances) to do too much. For instance we've no scouting system in place. Ideally he needs an experienced assistant with good connections in the game. With such an aging squad recruitment could be a key issue. Lack of funds another.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree with all that. But even if it was thought McCall could've got us a wee bit higher I reckon there's a general opinion that the management/coaching set up was never going to hack it in the top tier. That in itself makes the sacking decision that bit more logical.

My fear is that if we don't get promoted Doolan will be asked (due to finances) to do too much. For instance we've no scouting system in place. Ideally he needs an experienced assistant with good connections in the game. With such an aging squad recruitment could be a key issue. Lack of funds another.

Next season will be a test for him whatever division we are in. 

On 4/22/2023 at 11:43 PM, dagenum said:

image.thumb.png.6d522f903a884b541839e4fefb0e839a.png

Makes no difference now but Graham was onside for what should have been the winner. Screenshot shows ball just after leaving Holt's head.

How massive is this **** up by the assistant now? Season changing bad decision 

With respect to the title, throwing a two goal lead at home to Dundee was fatal - that would have been a six point swing on them. 

We also should have beat them at Firhill the other week. Lack of composure from Fitzy to put Tiff in and likewise from Mullen with the last kick of the game. 

What I would say is that neither Dundee nor QP have had an injury crisis like ourselves and ICT. Had we not been down the spine of the team (Holt, Doc, Tiff, Graham, half fit Muirhead etc) in that awful run of October into November, we would probably have picked-up a handful of extra points which would have left us in the hunt. ICT were even more unlucky in that respect, their injuries were unbelievable.

4 minutes ago, Stephen1876 said:

With respect to the title, throwing a two goal lead at home to Dundee was fatal - that would have been a six point swing on them. 

We also should have beat them at Firhill the other week. Lack of composure from Fitzy to put Tiff in and likewise from Mullen with the last kick of the game. 

What I would say is that neither Dundee nor QP have had an injury crisis like ourselves and ICT. Had we not been down the spine of the team (Holt, Doc, Tiff, Graham, half fit Muirhead etc) in that awful run of October into November, we would probably have picked-up a handful of extra points which would have left us in the hunt. ICT were even more unlucky in that respect, their injuries were unbelievable.

ICT showing what they can do with an even worse injury crisis than us. Right behind us in the league, cup final and European football next season. Shows up our failures. 

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

ICT showing what they can do with an even worse injury crisis than us. Right behind us in the league, cup final and European football next season. Shows up our failures. 

They did get knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Queens Park - luckily for them Queens had fielded an ineligible player.

44 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

ICT took full advantage.  

Absolutely, they won the other games fair and square but I don't think straight after the QP game their fans where saying "look how good we are". They got lucky but when you get a break like that you need to take advantage.

Anyway, at the end of every season all fans have their tales to tell, the what ifs and the injustices (real or perceived) and we will be no different. Promotion is still possible and regardless of how that goes I, for some strange reason, feel more optimistic about next season under Doolan than I was contemplating another season under McCall. There are probably lots of things going on in the background I don't know about which might impact that but as I don't know about them I am not going to waste time worrying about them.