Home and away.

Auld Jag

Not the Australian soap but how we end our 36 game league season. Arbroath at home and Raith Rovers away.

A win for Thistle on Saturday and Morton do not win would guarantee us a playoff place.

First up we have Arbroath at Firhill and a draw in this game would probably see them safe in the Championship for another season. Will they come looking for a draw or go and try and win the game. For Thistle the only change i would expect would be Tiffoney,if fit in for Fitzpatrick.

Let's hope for another good attendance.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Not the Australian soap but how we end our 36 game league season. Arbroath at home and Raith Rovers away.

A win for Thistle on Saturday and Morton do not win would guarantee us a playoff place.

First up we have Arbroath at Firhill and a draw in this game would probably see them safe in the Championship for another season. Will they come looking for a draw or go and try and win the game. For Thistle the only change i would expect would be Tiffoney,if fit in for Fitzpatrick.

My only concern is that we struggle against poor teams who park the bus and Arbroath will do this. We look a million dollars then run out of ideas.

So an early goal is imperative to avoid a Hamilton, Cove or Dundee.

54 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

My only concern is that we struggle against poor teams who park the bus and Arbroath will do this. We look a million dollars then run out of ideas.

So an early goal is imperative to avoid a Hamilton, Cove or Dundee.

Agree, but just add if we get an early goal to try and build on it, not stop playing as we did against Ayr in our last home game. And then spend the last 5 minutes or so of the game pressing for a winner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

It shouldn’t - but the result of tomorrow night’s game may impact the dynamics of our game. If Dundee beat Cove, Arbroath don’t really have anything to play for. 

Incredibly, given how they cut us apart a couple of times last season, Arbroath haven’t scored against us in four attempts this year (although no idea how they never won at Gayfield in February).

Is Hodson another out for the season causalty? 

Change the topic slightly and too lazy to start a new thread. Who would we prefer to win the league. Now it is down to Dundee and QP, the one who doesn’t win will be in the playoffs and therefore potentially opponents on our final drive to promotion.

Neither are on great form, and we have become hard to beat so I don’t fear either. Seeing Dundee destined to another year in the Championship and meeting QP in the Premier would be my preference 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeanieD said:

If Cove lose tonight then Arbroath will effectively be safe (vastly superior goal difference) - which might mean they play a bit more freely tomorrow- which isn’t necessarily a good thing……..

Didn't Cove win away to Arbroath last week and wasn't this a game where Arbroath were strong favourites?

I appreciate Cove beating Dundee at Dens Park is a completely different proposition form beating Arbroath at Gayfield but that's would be my preference.

I would then prefer Queens Park to win their last two games against Morton and  Dundee to gain automatic promotion. Of course I want the Jags to win against Arbroath and Raith  (4-0 & 3-0) which would be enough to achieve 2nd place on goal difference. We of course win promotion through the play-offs.

Queens would have 64 pts          Partick Thistle 59 pts                    Dundee 59pts.

12 mins played at Dens and still 0-0! Cove have a chance only 78 mins to go! Plenty time to sneak a goal!

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Change the topic slightly and too lazy to start a new thread. Who would we prefer to win the league. Now it is down to Dundee and QP, the one who doesn’t win will be in the playoffs and therefore potentially opponents on our final drive to promotion.

Neither are on great form, and we have become hard to beat so I don’t fear either. Seeing Dundee destined to another year in the Championship and meeting QP in the Premier would be my preference 

I'd prefer QP to win the league and us to go up too via the play-offs - goes without saying.

I'm not sure the men in charge want 4 Glasgow teams in the top league though. They have their Glasgow derby already and would probably prefer Killie and Ayr or Ross C and Inverness. Dundee going up gives them the Dundee derby.  

Tonight's result means a change to the master plan to Plan B.

I hate to say it but I would now prefer Morton to either draw with or beat Queens Park. Also Dundee to beat them in their final league game. That would leave Queens on 58 or 59 points.

While this is going on we defeat both Arbroath and Raith to also finish on 59 points to finish 2nd on goal difference.  We then subsequently  promotion via the play offs.

And yes, the two goals, particularly the second goal which was clearly onside, disallowed by last weekends referee and assistant referee have proved to be significant in terms of taking us out of contention for the title. 

6 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Tonight's result means a change to the master plan to Plan B.

I hate to say it but I would now prefer Morton to either draw with or beat Queens Park. Also Dundee to beat them in their final league game. That would leave Queens on 58 or 59 points.

While this is going on we defeat both Arbroath and Raith to also finish on 59 points to finish 2nd on goal difference.  We then subsequently  promotion via the play offs.

And yes, the two goals, particularly the second goal which was clearly onside, disallowed by last weekends referee and assistant referee have proved to be significant in terms of taking us out of contention for the title. 

Have to reluctantly agree. We can only catch QP now.

The league win was lost way before last week. You can’t blame one dodgy ref and the way it has turned out, we should have been out of sight.

Main question seems to be as to how Fitzy and Tiffoney are deployed today. Fitzy starting and Tiffoney coming on at halftime either as a straight replacement or as part of a formation rearrangement depending on the game position and how others are playing could be a possibility. Cannot see both starting when Lawless is in such outstanding form.

1 hour ago, JeanieD said:

Given last night’s result, Arbroath might be tempted to play a bit like Cove and seek a point or more if they can break more efficiently than Cove. 
Breaking down stubborn defences isn’t exactly our strength.

You realise you're crediting Dick Campbell with the ability to deploy tactics? :)

But yes, we're better against teams who need to win. Last week may have been an exception to the rule as Accies needed all 3 points and it was an open game. Even then we uncharacteristically lost two goals and we did have the ball in the net four times. Same as last week without the errors, please.

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Have to reluctantly agree. We can only catch QP now.

The league win was lost way before last week. You can’t blame one dodgy ref and the way it has turned out, we should have been out of sight.

Not so sure about your last point.

Can see QP losing today and us winning.

If we'd have won last week too, that would have meant going into the last game where a win would mean that two of the 3 possible outcomes in the QP v Dundee game, suited us.

As it stands, we need to dust ourselves down and get a place in the play-offs secured pronto.

We've seen all season that anyone can beat anyone, so it's all to play for if we get there.