Home and away.

Auld Jag

28 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But £150 grand down on prize money

A defeat and our season was over. I'm not saying I'm not disappointed. But everything has to be earned. We're probably where we deserved to be. Crazy league though.

3 points covered second place through six.

Our home form was as good as anyone’s, but we lagged behind Dundee in away form.  
lMO the killer was the back to back losses at home to Cove and Hamilton when they only had one away win between them.  I think Hamilton were rounding into form at that pinpoint though.

I’ll take the playoffs though.  It will be a tough road but definitely doable.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:36 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Likewise but this should be by natural progression and not a case of being thrown in thru absolute necessity. 

Was just reading some of the comments and I was looking back at some stats. Started ok finding our feet but then we shipped 16 league goals (20 if you include Aberdeen cup) in 5 games Holt was injured for all and Docherty for 4 (I think). Akinola played i think 4 of them. We never get results on astro considering the possession we have at times and like the ball on the deck. 9 out a possible 18 points is poor considering the teams. Bottom line if you dont lose goals then at least you have a chance. We shored it up once Holt was back. 

I read comments about scoring more but you can't argue with 13 goals and 8 assists from Graham. Tiff has been injured for about 4 months Still chipped in with 7. We are 2nd top goal scoring team in the league by a few from top. We just don't spread the goals enough but you can't expect us to score more when we ship goals. If you score 2 against  Hamilton and Raith (like the run in) with 65% possession then to ask for 3 or 4 and moan about it is unfair at this level. 

Individually a lot of players are pretty good but every team has had injuries and suffered however you need to manage those games defensively which I think was naive of us earlier in the season. 

Someone moaned about 30 passes going nowhere but ill take keeping possession any day and scoring 2 goals a game. You drag teams about doing that which is how you make the space and I think we have a good footballing team. Unfortunately guys like Dowds and Smith are the back up. DOWDS is sooooo bad and never alleviated any pressure by holding it in when Graham has had to go. Sometimes I feel sorry for the defence it just comes straight back.

One last point personally hate Turners floaty free kicks and corners. Great player but wtf. Other teams cause havoc with a whipped ball in to us. i remember 2 nil.up Cove st home when Reynolds scored aghhh. Hamilton the other week aghhh.

Next year will definitely be mid table 50-75% are away.and nae money. Dools will be manager too its not like we can pay a new manager and 15 assistants again.. 

It is what it is. We take a risk in budget last 2 seasons and now we need to take humble pie.

• Like 1

The loss of some prize money is bad news, but I fancy our chances in the play offs if Doolan can sort out the hibernation that seems to infect the team after we take early leads.  Tiffoney's crucial equaliser might just act as a wake up call. 

Whatever happens in the play offs, Doolan seems very intelligent and I'm sure will learn much from the experience, which bodes well for next season.

Doolan however is untested in recruiting players, and perhaps appointing an assistant on a short term basis to help with this might be useful. Beyond that, the allegedly non-existent scouting system needs attention.

20 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

The loss of some prize money is bad news, but I fancy our chances in the play offs if Doolan can sort out the hibernation that seems to infect the team after we take early leads.  Tiffoney's crucial equaliser might just act as a wake up call. 

Whatever happens in the play offs, Doolan seems very intelligent and I'm sure will learn much from the experience, which bodes well for next season.

Doolan however is untested in recruiting players, and perhaps appointing an assistant on a short term basis to help with this might be useful. Beyond that, the allegedly non-existent scouting system needs attention.

Perhaps a certain IM brought back on a consultancy basis or otherwise to fill the scouting role could be one possible solution ? .His contacts and having an eye for a good player might be a good assist to Dools’ on field organisation and work ethic.

I agree about Holt being a key player in the defence. We look much more solid with him in the middle. Milne’s injury has been costly. Not only have we lost his attacking threat, but it has resulted in Holt being moved out to the left. Since this change was forced it is noticeable that we have lost the lead 3 times.

I felt we played really well in the first half and we should have been out of sight. 

Had we continued like that in the second half, I think we would have won. However, we lost composure and desperately tried to win the game, it was too frantic. In the end, we could have missed out but scraped home. 

Fair play to Rovers - they upheld the integrity of the final day by playing with fight. 

I’d like to see Hodson come in on Tuesday with Holt moving back into the middle. That’s not having a go at Brownlie, I just think Holt is our best centre half. 

The two playoff games against the Championship sides are winnable but will undoubtedly be tough. 

40 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Perhaps a certain IM brought back on a consultancy basis or otherwise to fill the scouting role could be one possible solution ? .His contacts and having an eye for a good player might be a good assist to Dools’ on field organisation and work ethic.

He undoubtedly has a good eye for players, but I think the way he was sacked might prove an obstacle.  McCall will obviously be looking for something more permanent and lucrative, but maybe as a stopgap, your suggestion might be of benefit to both parties.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

He undoubtedly has a good eye for players, but I think the way he was sacked might prove an obstacle.  McCall will obviously be looking for something more permanent and lucrative, but maybe as a stopgap, your suggestion might be of benefit to both parties.

Absolutely not.

The myth of him having a good eye for players was widely debated during the season. On the whole I think his recruitment has been poor. Too many journeymen at the wrong end of their careers and too many loans from the Old Firm, none of which were any good. Just like Archibald shouldn’t have been back at Firhill in any role, neither should McCall.

• Like 1

As regards the challenges for next season and the financial situation, I think this is a real opportunity for the newish board to become a little more visible and perhaps outline how they envisage the club can move forward in the next few seasons.

With Ross potentially replacing Dundee and Dunfermline replacing Cove it will probably be a harder division next season (imo Hamilton will stay up and the 11th team in the top division will not be relegated). Indeed the current playoff position might be a bit of a high water mark for the club for the foreseeable future.

2 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

As regards the challenges for next season and the financial situation, I think this is a real opportunity for the newish board to become a little more visible and perhaps outline how they envisage the club can move forward in the next few seasons.

With Ross potentially replacing Dundee and Dunfermline replacing Cove it will probably be a harder division next season (imo Hamilton will stay up and the 11th team in the top division will not be relegated). Indeed the current playoff position might be a bit of a high water mark for the club for the foreseeable future.

I agree with the first part of your post - we need to hear from the Board fairly soon so we can have that discussion about where we are and what the plan is to progress us both on and off the park.

I think though until we have had that it is premature to say the playoffs would be out of reach.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

I think Falkirk will beat Hamilton which will mean another big club in the division 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

The SFA get a percentage of the gate for all the play off games in every division unfortunately 

I assume then that the TV money is diluted in a similar fashion. What I'm trying to get at is have we in net terms lost £150K from not finishing second? Put another way will the size of the crowd at Firhill on Tuesday be largely immaterial regarding our finances?

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I assume then that the TV money is diluted in a similar fashion. What I'm trying to get at is have we in net terms lost £150K from not finishing second? Put another way will the size of the crowd at Firhill on Tuesday be largely immaterial regarding our finances?

Fine margins for that £150k. One more goal would have done it (or not losing to Hamilton or Cove)

We started really well last night but as soon as we went a goal we decided to try and play keep ball rather than going after a second. We did the same against Hamilton and Ayr and its beginning to become a concern.

Beyond Docherty's brain-fart to give away a penalty I thought he was poor last night and he seems to struggle more than most on astroturf. Every time the ball broke to him at the edge of the Raith box or in midfield he seemed to struggle to get the ball under control and pick a pass or take a shot. He also struggled against Hamilton on a similar surface.

At halftime the Raith manager changed tactics and outsmarted Doolan. Looked to me like Raith put an extra body in the centre of midfield and told their wingers to hug the touchline. It starved Turner of possession, dragged Lawless infield and left McMillan and Holt trying to defend too much open space. Its not the first time that Doolan has struggled to spot what opposition managers are doing and figure a way around it. 

Beyond that we just looked like we panicked. From the start of the second half we looked desperate and when Mullen came on we just shelled not very good long balls into him and Graham. We have an experienced squad and its meant to be that experience doesn't panic in pressure situations, instead we looked like headless chickens with no real game plan or pattern of play. We were lucky not to lose.

On the plus side Brownlie took his goal well, Bannigan was pretty good, we did at least make the playoffs, 1 defeat in 12 games is a pretty decent record for a novice manager and suggests we will be a difficult team to knock out over 2 legs. I would add to that whilst 2nd would have been better I would have wanted Ayr and Queens to be the other teams on the playoffs as I think we have a better chance against them that Morton or ICT.

We need to show a lot more composure on Tuesday.

• Like 1

We shouldn’t struggle on AstroTurf. We train on it. I am more concerned with the QP game as they have had the upper hand this season and are a younger team. On the other hand, their form is really poor and losing last night may be a big blow for a young squad.

Could be two teams lacking in confidence going into Tuesday’s game. QP have obviously blown their top position in recent weeks and our players and Dools are clearly down on last nights result looking at their post match interviews. Dools is naturally talking up the opportunity but I thought he looked a bit rattled with the pressure. This could be an edgy, nervous couple of games.

I have said it before, but it has to be EITHER Bannigan or Docherty, not both. When we think of other CMs like First Generation Gary Harkins, they brought so much more thrust through the middle of the park. 

If indeed Docherty is off at the end of the season, I don't think it will be any great loss. 

• Like 1