Dave McParland matchday programme

Jaggernaut

Finally managed to get around to reading this (it's from 2018, when I was last in Scotland before last month).

Overall, a fine tribute, but 5 years down the line, what a shame to see that after several references to it and mention of the delight and gratitude of his family, the "McParland Training Complex" dissolved like a sand castle against the incoming tide, but before it even really started to get constructed.

Was the final (i.e., true) story behind this fiasco ever revealed? Was funding earmarked for it ever really in place? If so, what became of that funding? Will the McParland training ground ever see the light of day.... if not in the originally intended site, then somewhere else?

The entire project just seems to have dissolved. It's (another) reason why I would never sink another penny into any "shares" in PTFC (I still have both "A" and "B" shares, and I doubt if anybody could present me with any kind of accurate statement of their value or tradability; for me, too much relating to the club's finances, ownership and assets just seem to metamorphose into utter confusion, smoke and mirrors.)

Elsewhere in the programme, and for many people, trivial, I know, but there are typos the text, for which people are asked to pay good money. For example, we see somebody scoring a "close ranger goal" (actually, maybe that's not a typo!), and are reminded that there were doubt about the fitness of Alex "Rosyth" before the League Cup Final. As I wrote: maybe trivial, but is it?

RIP, proofreaders!

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Finally managed to get around to reading this (it's from 2018, when I was last in Scotland before last month).

Overall, a fine tribute, but 5 years down the line, what a shame to see that after several references to it and mention of the delight and gratitude of his family, the "McParland Training Complex" dissolved like a sand castle against the incoming tide, but before it even really started to get constructed.

Was the final (i.e., true) story behind this fiasco ever revealed? Was funding earmarked for it ever really in place? If so, what became of that funding? Will the McParland training ground ever see the light of day.... if not in the originally intended site, then somewhere else?

The entire project just seems to have dissolved. It's (another) reason why I would never sink another penny into any "shares" in PTFC (I still have both "A" and "B" shares, and I doubt if anybody could present me with any kind of accurate statement of their value or tradability; for me, too much relating to the club's finances, ownership and assets just seem to metamorphose into utter confusion, smoke and mirrors.)

Elsewhere in the programme, and for many people, trivial, I know, but there are typos the text, for which people are asked to pay good money. For example, we see somebody scoring a "close ranger goal" (actually, maybe that's not a typo!), and are reminded that there were doubt about the fitness of Alex "Rosyth" before the League Cup Final. As I wrote: maybe trivial, but is it?

RIP, proofreaders!

typo.png.1cdee520aeb204be777da38d05499e20.png

Sorry Juggernaut Jaggernaut. Couldn't resist it. 😊

Edited by BowenBoys
poor proofreading!
  • Haha 1