Our record in play-offs

Jaggernaut

Am I right in thinking that we have lost both play-offs that we were in to avoid relegation (vs Dundee Utd, Livingston),

and won one (vs Peterhead) and lost one (vs ICT) that were for (possible) promotion? 

Were there any others?

Edited by Jaggernaut

The full record...

26.03.1898 Dundee [h] L0-2 (Scottish First Division re-election play-off)

12.05.1996 Dundee United [h] D1-1 (Scottish Premier Division/First Division play-off, 1st leg)
16.05.1996 Dundee United [a] L1-2 (Scottish Premier Division/First Division play-off, 2nd leg) aet

03.05.2006 Stranraer [a] W3-1 (Scottish First Division play-off Semi Final, 1st leg)
06.05.2006 Stranraer [h] L1-2 (Scottish First Division play-off Semi Final, 2nd leg)
10.05.2006 Peterhead [h] L1-2 (Scottish First Division play-off Final, 1st leg)
14.05.2006 Peterhead [a] W2-1 (Scottish First Division play-off Final, 2nd leg) aet, won 4-2 pens

17.05.2018 Livingston [a] L1-2 (SPFL Premiership play-off Final, 1st leg)
20.05.2018 Livingston [h] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership play-off Final, 2nd leg)

03.05.2022 Inverness Caledonian Thistle [h] L1-2 (SPFL Premiership play-off Quarter Final, 1st leg)
06.05.2022 Inverness Caledonian Thistle [a] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership play-off Quarter Final, 2nd leg)

• First top-flight side to be relegated via the play-offs system.
  • Yet to win a home match after 6 attempts.
  • First team ever to be promoted with a 4th place finish.
  • 4th place records of 2006 and 2023 match exactly i.e. W16 D9 L11. Omen?
  • No 4th place team has ever won a Premiership play-off tie.
  • No club has ever been promoted from the QF stage of the Premiership play-offs.

The 1898 playoff is a long way before my time however I remember all of the rest and what I thought our chances were going into each.

Against Dundee United I thought we would struggle mainly because the Murdo Macleod just didn't have the same managerial ability as Lambie, the second leg was at Tannadice (when did it change to the top league club got the second leg at home?) and Dundee United were seen to be a big club that was needed in the top league. 

The playoff success under Dick Campbell still amazes me. A no point during that season did we look like a football team never mind one that looked like getting promotion. However I did have a strange feeling that we would get through against Peterhead even when we lost the first leg. To my mind that playoff win was a combination of massively lucky and the gods of football balancing out the unfair loss to Dundee United.

Last seasons I had no hope we would get beyond ICT never mind anything beyond that. We were a team that for a few months had been struggling on a very heavy pitch, we had only beaten ICT once that season and our record against other top 4 teams didn't show anything that suggested we could upset the odds.

This season I think we arrive in the playoffs in a lot better condition than any of those previous exploits. We've gone from being a streaky team under McCall to being a team that has 1 good performance and 2 average performances in every 3 under Doolan which in turn means we don't lose many and that's not a bad attribute for the playoffs. This season we have had better results against the teams occupying the top 2 positions than those occupying the bottom 2. It remains to be seen if Doolan has the footballing gods on his side, getting through what are essentially 6 cup ties is much more draining than 6 league games and will require luck with fitness, form and referee's.

• Like 1

Haha, that's true, but what a day! After it I phoned my partner and then my father, and they both told me that I was gibbering like a monkey!

Another time I got a similar reaction (i.e. reference to our simian cousins) was after the SC win at Dundee, with Britton and Gibson scoring. My partner, who had waited patiently in the car near Dens Park until the game was over, finally told me to shut it, at around Auchterarder.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Haha, that's true, but what a day! After it I phoned my partner and then my father, and they both told me that I was gibbering like a monkey!

Another time I got a similar reaction (i.e. reference to our simian cousins) was after the SC win at Dundee, with Britton and Gibson scoring. My partner, who had waited patiently in the car near Dens Park until the game was over, finally told me to shut it, at around Auchterarder.

Ha ha. My wife's eyes just glaze over and I know it's time to shut up or change the subject.

17 hours ago, sandy said:

I’ll never forget Peterhead. It even made the bunnet emotional.

But our team was shite ;)

Have I lost it Sandy ? or is it you , was Lambie not the manager when we beat Peterhead.I can clearly remember him singing from the stand at the end.................

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Have I lost it Sandy ? or is it you , was Lambie not the manager when we beat Peterhead.I can clearly remember him singing from the stand at the end.................

That was at Inverness I think? (Lambie Singing there's a well known football team...)

That season our record against Peterhead heading into that match was abysmal. Four defeats on the trot with the one drawn game early in the season.  I can still mind that play off game up there with more clarity than I remember some matches this season. The only credit I'll ever attribute to The Bunnet was he signed Mark Roberts. God knows what would've happened to us if we never signed Marko.

On 5/7/2023 at 10:13 AM, The Thistle Archive said:

The full record...

26.03.1898 Dundee [h] L0-2 (Scottish First Division re-election play-off)

12.05.1996 Dundee United [h] D1-1 (Scottish Premier Division/First Division play-off, 1st leg)
16.05.1996 Dundee United [a] L1-2 (Scottish Premier Division/First Division play-off, 2nd leg) aet

03.05.2006 Stranraer [a] W3-1 (Scottish First Division play-off Semi Final, 1st leg)
06.05.2006 Stranraer [h] L1-2 (Scottish First Division play-off Semi Final, 2nd leg)
10.05.2006 Peterhead [h] L1-2 (Scottish First Division play-off Final, 1st leg)
14.05.2006 Peterhead [a] W2-1 (Scottish First Division play-off Final, 2nd leg) aet, won 4-2 pens

17.05.2018 Livingston [a] L1-2 (SPFL Premiership play-off Final, 1st leg)
20.05.2018 Livingston [h] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership play-off Final, 2nd leg)

03.05.2022 Inverness Caledonian Thistle [h] L1-2 (SPFL Premiership play-off Quarter Final, 1st leg)
06.05.2022 Inverness Caledonian Thistle [a] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership play-off Quarter Final, 2nd leg)

• First top-flight side to be relegated via the play-offs system.
  • Yet to win a home match after 6 attempts.
  • First team ever to be promoted with a 4th place finish.
  • 4th place records of 2006 and 2023 match exactly i.e. W16 D9 L11. Omen?
  • No 4th place team has ever won a Premiership play-off tie.
  • No club has ever been promoted from the QF stage of the Premiership play-offs.

Do you have a record of teams Thistle have relegated? We relegated Stranraer in the playoff before Peterhead, I’m sure we’ve relegated Stirling Albion twice, possibly the Lindau game included? Also sent Dumbarton down in the 3-2 game over there when we were 2-0 down, I think that was the game before we played Stranraer in the playoffs. cheers!

26 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Do you have a record of teams Thistle have relegated? We relegated Stranraer in the playoff before Peterhead, I’m sure we’ve relegated Stirling Albion twice, possibly the Lindau game included? Also sent Dumbarton down in the 3-2 game over there when we were 2-0 down, I think that was the game before we played Stranraer in the playoffs. cheers!

“That” game at Airdrie (Elliot) relegated them

2 hours ago, jags on tour said:

No, but agree that'd make for a good list page in its own right. Do-able but very time consuming. TTA can't cope with workload as it stands, so it's unlikely it'll be tackled.