Home and away part 2

Auld Jag

Just in and what a game! Certainly went through all the emotions. They had a couple of early chances before we went 2 up but then Mitchell only had to pick the ball out of the net 3 times - don't think they had a proper chance apart from those goals whilst we passed up several good chances. Defences definitely not on top which should make Friday night even more nervy.

Great support there tonight as well and going by the queue after the game we will have great backing on Friday night as well.

44 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

all to play for on friday

thought firzpatrick really has started to show his potential tonight

hopefully banzo is fit for the return to allow turner to revert to a more forward position

what sort of budget do Queens have compared to the jags

great goal from BBG  at the end  

I was told by a division 1 club director Coyle is on 4K a week though the players are nowhere near that. 

36 minutes ago, fenski said:

Think they were luckier to score 3 than we were to score 4, so by that logic we should win the tie on Friday. However, it's the championship - logic doesn't apply. Any result is possible. Would take a 4-3 over a 1-0 every time.

I fancy us to score again on Friday.. but I expect us to concede too.. 

Thought their first goal was very poorly defended but their second seemed a deflection and the third looked like a bad mistake from Mitchell? 

9 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

hmmmmm i would have expected more. is the tv £ worth it when it stops paying fans on a balmy spring evening.

I thought 3400 Jags fans not bad.  Anyway gate receipts are evidently pooled. But maybe not all TV money???

After yon 98 minutes or so I don't even know whether my glass is half full or half empty. Evenly poised, methinks.

More importantly I thought the response to the minutes applause was excellent. Just so very sad. 

Strange game tonight.

Thought Queens started well and we looked nervous. No idea how Mitchell stops Fox from scoring but we had a couple of escapes early on.

Then we score 2 in relatively quick succession and Queens look like they are going to collapse. Then Queens score largely because Bannigan gets injured and can't protect the defence and we look nervy up until halftime.

After halftime we come out playing a 4-4-2 and we again look like we are going to run over the top of a very poor Queens defence. Lawless then goes off, we switch back to 4-2-3-1 , Queens get a very fortunate second goal followed by a poor bit of defending to concede a 3rd and you wonder if we're going to throw it away.

Up steps Brian Graham and we've snatched a victory. You have to wonder what sort of effect losing a late goal like that has and losing 9 goals in 2 games has on team spirit.

Queens may have the worst defence I have seen this season. Graham absolutely rag dolled the Queens number 25 with every Mitchell kickout aimed at Graham and their centrehalf unable to compete it created so many opportunities for Tiffoney and Fitzpatrick to run at their defence. Really strange to see a defence like Queens tonight struggle with basic concepts like not allowing your fullbacks to go deeper than your centrebacks

Whilst anything can still happen on Friday and a 1 goal lead isn't enough I would be amazed if Queens don't concede at least once. We need to go to Ochilview on Friday knowing that we are capable of scoring goals against that defence and not try and sit on a one goal lead. 

Bad defending = great entertainment. Both sides provided plenty of that tonight. We could have lost 2 goals through dopey defending in the first 5 minutes with Mitchell, Muirhead & Brownlie being hesitant throughout. We then scored two well-worked goals and for a spell I thought we might hand out a drubbing. Losing the goal and Banzo were real blows - he was running the game but after he went off, we hardly played any football and Queens dominated possession. Boateng looked exactly the sort of midfield player we lack - composed, quick and strong, able to break up play and bring the ball forward...a marked contrast to Docherty.

Fortunately Queens couldn't defend either, particularly long punts up the park and I was pleased to see Tiff and Fitzpatrick eventually combine after messing up two great chances. Just when we were looking comfortable we contrived to lose two sloppy goals. Whatever flaws our team has, they don't lack spirit and it was so good to see the late winner.

I am hoping more tickets will be made available for the second leg...surely it won't finish 0-0? Banzo will be a real miss if he is not available...it's crossed my mind that there might be a major payment threshold if Cole MacKinnon plays a certain number of games as he hasn't featured at all. We have limited options in our squad and a lot of older players...I fear we will run out of steam and fit players at some stage in the play-offs but it's been an exciting roller-coaster of a season so far.

Strange game but the late winner from Graham could be crucial in so much as it swung the momentum back in our favour.

Fitzpatrick was excellent when he came on, constantly driving at their full back and beating him with ease (so much so, he was subbed). When they switched Oakley over to face him it seemed to throw Fitzy off his game and the lazy backwards pass he gave followed by Docherty giving it away gave Queens the momentum to get that second goal.

Poor from the defence for both of Thomas goals although Queens did well to break our press for the first one. No idea how Mitchell let’s the equaliser by him, looked a relatively easy save.

No reason why we can’t go to Ovhilview and score a few, their defence is awful. I think the worst thing we can do is try and sit in on a 1 goal lead. 

11 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

If the rumours are to be believed, I don't see how Derek McInnes can look at his Kilmarnock squad and think to himself, "we need a Ross Docherty." 

Docherty was decent tonight but I would agree that its hard to see him being attractive to a premier league team even as a backup. I would think Docherty's only chance of playing in the premier league is with us if we somehow do the impossible and win the playoffs.

Only way it seems sensible for Killie to have him on a PCA is if the PCA is dependent on Kilmarnock being relegated.

Not sure if i am disappointed or delighted. 2 Goals ahead in 2 periods of the game, get drawn level and then score in the 7th minute of injury time. Going to be another roller coaster on Friday night. Imo we need to score first in the second leg as i do feel that they will score at least one. 

Perhaps 9 times out of 10 the deflection for their second goal would have resulted in a simple block; it was unlucky for us. For their third, Mitchell made a rare error. Although Queens look tidy and are clearly dangerous, we actually had more and better scoring chances. In any case, what a game it was for any neutral viewers.

First game I've seen where only 3 minutes of extra time were added on to the second half, and then 5 minutes were added on to the extra time!

I did enjoy hearing the announcer say 'and a big thank you to the three hundred and fifteen away fans.'

And how many Thistle season-ticket holders left the ground early to get a place at the front of the queue for Stenny tickets, only to miss the winning goal?

I came away from that feeling like it was a defeat and that Graham’s winner was only a consolation. As others have said we were fortunate not to concede early and QP made us work really hard. Our first 2 goals really came against the run of play. Their quick reply to our second and Bannigan going off really dampened the atmosphere for the remainder of the half. 2nd half we could have had 2 ourselves within the 1st 5 minutes with 1st Fitzpatrick hitting across goal instead of passing to Tiff or Graham, and then an almost replica but this time Fitzpatrick passing to Tiff who toe poked it past the post. Not sure if it was a foul prior to their 2nd, but backing off Thomas for their 3rd, I thought we had blown it. Hard to pick a MOTM - probably Graham, had his most effective game for ages.