Home and away part 2

Auld Jag

Just seen Brian Graham's goal. What a brilliant assist by Lee Hodson!

PS BBC website gave the assist to Kyle Turner who was nowhere near.

PPS Confused. Went to make a post and the above text appeared. I was sure that I posted this on Tuesday, but to give Lee Hodson due credit I am going to post it again!

Given that Don Thomas was QP's main threat and cannot be allowed too much space and time, is it worth putting a player on him to mark him out of the game? I suppose it might depend on who is starting for us. I cannot see Bannigan or Docherty in that role, but perhaps Hodson?

On a different note, I am a great fan of Fitzy, but his particular skillset works best when he has open prairie to run into and has space to speed past players on either side. I think that I am right in saying that in our first game this season at Ochilview, Fitzy kept falling off the edge of the pitch as there was just not enough room for him. 

Hopefully we will find the best way to get our most effective players into the game tomorrow night. Ochilviewball is an entirely different game from Firhillball.

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Given that Don Thomas was QP's main threat and cannot be allowed too much space and time, is it worth putting a player on him to mark him out of the game? I suppose it might depend on who is starting for us. I cannot see Bannigan or Docherty in that role, but perhaps Hodson?

On a different note, I am a great fan of Fitzy, but his particular skillset works best when he has open prairie to run into and has space to speed past players on either side. I think that I am right in saying that in our first game this season at Ochilview, Fitzy kept falling off the edge of the pitch as there was just not enough room for him. 

Hopefully we will find the best way to get our most effective players into the game tomorrow night. Ochilviewball is an entirely different game from Firhillball.

Was a very positive move from Dools to replace Bannigan with Fitzpatrick on Tuesday. We played over 40 mins with Fitzy, Tiffoney & Wee Stevie on the pitch at the same time. I can't imagine something similar happening tomorrow. in fact there's probably only space for one player to play wide. Lawless is best equipped of the three to play inside and I imagine if fully fit a cert to start. I reckon Tiff more likely than Fitzpatrick to start but fitness and recovery from Tuesday night can't be overlooked.

Take your point re Thomas but I don't think there's scope for Banzo, Doc & Hodson all to start and for us to still maintain a positive approach to the game. We've all seen us go a goal up and then inexplicably start defending too deep. We're starting a goal up and I worry that attitude will creep in. Setting a team out with an additional defensive mid may well compound that attitude.

20 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Is Sneddon being released? Only 7 players are under contract for next season and nobody knows who has or will be offered renewals. 

I don’t know for sure, but I doubt we will have 2 first line keepers, and the way he has been treated by successive managers, would you sign up again ?

14 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Was a very positive move from Dools to replace Bannigan with Fitzpatrick on Tuesday. We played over 40 mins with Fitzy, Tiffoney & Wee Stevie on the pitch at the same time. I can't imagine something similar happening tomorrow. in fact there's probably only space for one player to play wide. Lawless is best equipped of the three to play inside and I imagine if fully fit a cert to start. I reckon Tiff more likely than Fitzpatrick to start but fitness and recovery from Tuesday night can't be overlooked.

Take your point re Thomas but I don't think there's scope for Banzo, Doc & Hodson all to start and for us to still maintain a positive approach to the game. We've all seen us go a goal up and then inexplicably start defending too deep. We're starting a goal up and I worry that attitude will creep in. Setting a team out with an additional defensive mid may well compound that attitude.

Totally agree. Apologies if my previous post was unclear. I was not envisaging playing Bannigan, Docherty and Hodson in the same midfield. If Bannigan & Docherty are both fit, they start. Neither of them would be good at a man-marking role. If either Bannigan or Docherty (perhaps more likely Bannigan) is not fit to start, then Hodson would most likely come in, and perhaps my special role for him could be a reality.

Given that their 2nd goal on Tuesday was a bit unfortunate, the only 2 "proper" goal concessions were when Thomas was able to travel relatively unopposed from the halfway line to the edge of the penalty box. Cut off that possibility and QP's threat is substantially diminished.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I don’t know for sure, but I doubt we will have 2 first line keepers, and the way he has been treated by successive managers, would you sign up again ?

Sneddon lost his place to Mitchell through injury (I think) and Mitchell played pretty well to keep him out the team (until Tuesday!).

Think we need two “first line” keepers as both have had injuries during the season, but who knows what our finances are like. And yes maybe Sneddon will want to go if Doolan has a preference for Mitchell. They both have their strengths and weaknesses but maybe Sneddon being younger is the better prospect 

17 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Sneddon is off at the end of the season to another Championship club as first choice keeper. Don't blame him.

I’m sad about this, rated Sneddon. But dropping him for Mitchell probably made his mind up. 

If he goes, all best wishes to him. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, sandy said:

I’m sad about this, rated Sneddon. But dropping him for Mitchell probably made his mind up. 

Sneddon wasn't dropped. 

He was injured when Doolan took over, Mitchell was selected and since has done nothing to warrant being dropped. 

Unfortunately, that's an occupational (Conor?) hazard for goalkeepers.

If Sneddon goes, then good luck to him - that stat on the BBC site of a 100% goalscoring record from 1 shot on goal all season is the mutt's nutts.

49 minutes ago, sandy said:

Sneddon had won his place back and then got injured - he wasn’t dropped. Until the last couple of games, Mitchell had been fine and made saves that kept us in the game.