Home and away part 2

Auld Jag

43 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Excellent stuff!

McCall against QP - played 3, lost 3, scored 2, conceded 9.

Doolan against QP - played 3, won 3, scored 12, conceded 3.

Also, great save by Mitchell early in the game.

You know what they say about stats…

QP imploded in the last quarter of the season but yes under Doolan we play at a higher tempo and just one defeat in his 14? games in charge. We have no reason to fear Ayr and have a real chance of reaching the final. Looking back to January that would have seemed fanciful.

Edited by JAG1970
  • Like 1

Nice to make a bit of history as the first 4th placed club to get through the first round ever.

Very comfortable tonight. Good strong team selection aimed at putting the tie to bed as quickly as possible and it worked a treat. Could easily have been 5 in the first half alone

Queens were dreadful. I can only presume that Kilday, Fox and Robson were playing with injuries as they were completely off the pace. Those 3 might need therapy to control the panic attacks they had whenever Big Brian Graham was around. Big man's workrate tonight was superb and his finish for the first was quality.

We now have two formations and ways of playing which must make it more difficult for Ayr to prepare. I think if you're the Ayr fullbacks you would be worrying about what Fitzpatrick and Lawless might do to you and if we go with Tiffoney against McGinty I can see big Sean getting a torrid time and maybe giving a way a penalty or red card. 

Conversley if Bannigan is fit and we go back to 4-2-3-1 Ayr might not get much of the ball and it could be a similar game to the 1-0 win we got at Somerset park in Ayr's first game.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Reckon that's the first time I've been at a game where the stewards & polis outnumbered the home fans.

I’ve never seen anything like it! Especially when they lined up behind the goal and across the halfway line at the end.

what was the point of the snack van on the far side as few people seemed to use it or even get to it?

what a performance though! Hope we haven’t peaked too early😙

Edited by jaggy

This club never fails to surprise. Fantastic first half to end the contest and I don’t recall ever sitting through a second half with absolutely nothing to play for. 

It has to be said that QP were awful. Couldn’t defend and, with Thomas marked out the game, we’re toothless in attack. Eze who came on at half time is just a thug.

First half the front 4 were ripping them to shreds and it could easily have been 4 or 5. Doc and Turner owned the midfield and McMillan was able to get forward at will. Special mention to Lawless who was thinking on a different level to anyone else.

Went a bit flat after we made the substitutions, but the game was won, so who cares. Ayr are bound to offer more threat, but based on the first half, nothing to fear.

Thought the 1st half was almost a replica of Tuesday night. After some early pressure by QP and a vital save by Mitchell, we score a goal from pretty much our first attack and dominate the rest of the half. Who knows what the score would have been if Tiffoney had put that one on one away early in the 2nd half. Defence was superb. 

If we can nullify the threat of Akinyemi in same we did with Thomas last night we are in with a very good chance of progressing.With Banzo potentially back I’m feeling mildly confident .

Full pass marks last night for all but slightly worried about all the corners we gave away in second half(ok I know we were home and hosed by that stage),need to tighten up a bit here .

Well that was just excellent to watch (at least, the highlights). Some great football, and we got a few breaks in and around their penalty box.

Good to see Mitchell back to full confidence after Tuesday's slip-up.

Is Mullen still with us next season?...  He seems to be turning into a very useful sub, getting into the right places in the box, and proving a handful for bigger defenders.

44 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

If Bannigan is fit, he should be put on the bench. How much more fluid did we look through the middle last night without Doc and Bannigan's square passes!? You don't change a winning team.

I agree, which is why the manager was correct to keep Mitchell in goal.

• Thanks 1

A really enjoyable match to watch, if your a Jag!

I agree that under Doolan we seem more attack minded and every player seems very sure of his role.

The big difference for me is the quality of goals we are scoring.  The intricate passing moves between 3 or 4 players playing through the opposition defence, the superb running off the ball and the precision  and weight of the passing.

Does it remind anyone of the Messi, Inesta, Pique Barcelona team????

A big thank you to Kris Doolan for turning out last night. Leading by example in every respect in very difficult personal circumstances.

Now if we can just get to grips with Akinyema- we will be in the final.

41 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Well that was just excellent to watch (at least, the highlights). Some great football, and we got a few breaks in and around their penalty box.

Is Mullen still with us next season?...  He seems to be turning into a very useful sub, getting into the right places in the box, and proving a handful for bigger defenders.

Owen Coyle post match interview bemoaning the deflection at our 4th goal - "that's the way our luck has been recently", or words to that effect. Short memory (their 2nd goal on Tuesday?).

As for our 3 first half goals - I can't see where we got any breaks for them!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Mullen is out of contract. Graham and Dowds are signed up. Wouldn’t mind seeing Mullen back if we can