Home and away part 2

Auld Jag

2 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Full pass marks last night for all but slightly worried about all the corners we gave away in second half(ok I know we were home and hosed by that stage),need to tighten up a bit here .

Seems rather churlish after such an emphatic win and a clean sheet but I feel one of our weaknesses all season has been an inability to see a game out (hold on to a lead). I'm not highlighting last night or Tuesday night as we were playing for the most part with a midfielder down. But there's been quite a few other games where we've been leading and ceded possession too much and too often. Annoying in two ways as the team is usually built up to play possession football and we're actually quite good at it.   

36 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Seems rather churlish after such an emphatic win and a clean sheet but I feel one of our weaknesses all season has been an inability to see a game out (hold on to a lead). I'm not highlighting last night or Tuesday night as we were playing for the most part with a midfielder down. But there's been quite a few other games where we've been leading and ceded possession too much and too often. Annoying in two ways as the team is usually built up to play possession football and we're actually quite good at it.   

I think you may be over analysing things after a 8 3 victory. We don't do perfection......that's boring lol 

Working yesterday, so what a great feeling finding the full result - 4 zip.

looking forward to “Home & Away part 3”.

We still may end up back in the Championship but seems this season is finishing on a positive streak instead of last season’s whimper.

onward

2 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Owen Coyle post match interview bemoaning the deflection at our 4th goal - "that's the way our luck has been recently", or words to that effect. Short memory (their 2nd goal on Tuesday?).

As for our 3 first half goals - I can't see where we got any breaks for them!

To be fair (just once and for a very short time!) to Owen Coyle he did have some kind and heartfelt words for Kris Doolan and congratulated Thistle on their (our) success. 

13 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Home and away part 3 coming soon.

I think that we have to acknowledge your vital part in our successful run thus far. As the fashion seems to be to compose songs in honour of everyone connected to Thistle, even Darren Brownlie and Cammy Smith, and in the spirit of Eurovision, I came up with the following:

Auld Jag is our leader.

He's started every thread.

He's a Partick Thistle man.

With a balaclava on his head.

Nul points, I hear you say!

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I think that we have to acknowledge your vital part in our successful run thus far. As the fashion seems to be to compose songs in honour of everyone connected to Thistle, even Darren Brownlie and Cammy Smith, and in the spirit of Eurovision, I came up with the following:

Auld Jag is our leader.

He's started every thread.

He's a Partick Thistle man.

With a balaclava on his head.

Nul points, I hear you say!

You are a man of many talents. :music: :clapping:

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

To be fair (just once and for a very short time!) to Owen Coyle he did have some kind and heartfelt words for Kris Doolan and congratulated Thistle on their (our) success. 

Yep, thought he spoke very well & was impressed by us. 
2nd bottom SPL team won’t fancy facing us if they watched that last night. 

3 hours ago, partickthedog said:

BBC website gave credit for the cross first to Docherty and then to Turner. Even the briefest of glances at their own TV coverage would have told them the right answer.

The BBC are very, very poor when it comes to accurate reporting over the last few years. Certainly for us and probably for any team outside the premier league - or maybe anyone outside of (the wall to wall coverage of) the ugly sisters. It seems no one checks anything before reporting. I’ve given up on them (along with the licence fee!)

2 hours ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

2nd bottom SPL team won’t fancy facing us if they watched that last night. 

A few managers at the game last night.

We still need to beat Ayr, which will not be easy, before we face any premier league team.

54 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

The BBC are very, very poor when it comes to accurate reporting over the last few years. Certainly for us and probably for any team outside the premier league - or maybe anyone outside of (the wall to wall coverage of) the ugly sisters. It seems no one checks anything before reporting. I’ve given up on them (along with the licence fee!)

It does rather undermine the good work of their presenters. Richard Foster is obviously well-informed about and well-disposed to Thistle, but even the other more neutral commentators and pundits spoke with knowledge and intelligence about Thistle.

9 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

If Bannigan is fit, he should be put on the bench. How much more fluid did we look through the middle last night without Doc and Bannigan's square passes!? You don't change a winning team.

With every respect - Bannigan's having his best run of influencing a game since before his serious injury in the premiership. Banzo and Doc protecting the defence has been one of the key features of this run. If he's 100%, he's in the team for me.

However, it's a calf injury - that needs rest and then some. Hopefully the ten days will be sufficient recovery.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

Most of the post-QP updates now in place, including 3 very cool video options, via The Thistle Archive →

:detective:  FOR LAWRENCE DOOLAN

● Fittingly, in the 9th minute, the red-n-yell army raised a banner in support of Kris Doolan with a minute's applause for his late father (Lawrence Doolan, died 11th May 2023). Doolan: “He was a big Partick Thistle fan just like me. Nobody wants to see us do well more than me or him. He followed us everywhere when I played, he wanted me here tonight. He would be proud of the players and the club because everyone has come together.
Brian Graham registers his 18th competitive goal of the season, the highest tally since Kris Doolan did likewise in 2010-11.
Kyle Turner registers his 12th assist of 2022-23, the highest tally of any Thistle player in the last 10 seasons.
● It's now an amazing 9 direct goal involvements in his last 7 games for the electric Scott Tiffoney. He becomes the second Jag to hit double figures in the goals department this term.
Jack McMillan registers his 11th assist of the season. As it stands, only Kyle Turner (12) has delivered more in any one of the last 10 seasons.
● With his 8th goal of the season, Kevin Holt looks certain to finish as Thistle's top scoring defender in 2022-23. 3 of his goals have came against Queen's Park!
● The 26-goal aggregate between these two clubs in 2022-23 is the largest total in competitive H2H's since 1969-70 when Thistle and St Johnstone shared 27 goals between them. The club-record (31) was set vs. Celtic in 1968-69.
● Thistle score 4 for the third game in a row versus Queen's Park, a feat only ever seen once in the H2H, way back in 1946.
● These sides have went 43 years without a draw against each other, an unlikely 23-game run.
● There's never been a draw between Thistle and Owen Coyle as opposition manager. 6 Thistle wins have been offset by 10 defeats.
● Big congratulations are in order to the free-flowing class of 2022-23. With 90 goals in all competitions, they currently sit as the second highest scoring Thistle team of the last 40 seasons, second only to the 96-goal vintage of 2012-13.
● In 2006, Partick Thistle became the first Scottish club to finish 4th and win promotion. The Jags now become the first 4th placed club to win a Premiership play-off tie. An institution like no other.

ongoing sequences:
● 6 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 7 games; 20th Mar 2021 to 29th Apr 2021. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 8 competitive games without defeat, 1st Apr 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 9 games, 15th Oct 2021 to 4th Dec 2021. Joint club-record: 16 games, 15th Nov 1975 to 21st Feb 1976 & 30th Sep 2000 to 13th Jan 2001.)
● 48 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: James Penrice - 51 games, 7th Sep 2019 to 10th Apr 2021. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Yep, if we play like that & Ayr beat us, good luck to them. 

Not sure many teams would beat us playing the way we did in the first half in particular last night, but we all know how quickly things can change. Still great to be in with a chance of promotion.

22 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I see the attendance was given as 1581. Was there really under 500 QP supporters there ?

According to Wikipedia Ochilview has a capacity of 3,746 (???) with 626 seated. The stand had empty seats, even during the first half, and many more before the end! When you subtract the 10 seats we got and the seats occupied by other football managers and their family members and friends, then I reckon YES, there were less than 500 QParkers.

1 hour ago, QXBoy said:

According to Wikipedia Ochilview has a capacity of 3,746 (???) with 626 seated. The stand had empty seats, even during the first half, and many more before the end! When you subtract the 10 seats we got and the seats occupied by other football managers and their family members and friends, then I reckon YES, there were less than 500 QParkers.

That must be a real concern for them. If that is all they can muster in what was a winnable game, in theory.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I see the attendance was given as 1581. Was there really under 500 QP supporters there ?

As said the stand wasn't even full. Factor in there'd be a good few representatives from other clubs, the odd SPFL dignitary, sponsors and other freebies we're talking about the same amount of QP fans as at Firhill, if even that. Who knows for sure but we (and Dundee) may well have done Queens a favour. A good few parallels with Gretna with the one obvious difference re the club's history.

Btw was only half joking when I said stewards and police outnumbered the home fans. Were whoever arranged that overkill acting on intelligence from the Metropolitan Polis?  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Seems mildly ironic that there is seeming mocking of the level of support for Queens Park. 
I reckons adherents of the bigot twins could well do the same as regards our level of support and I doubt we would want to be associated with the like of them.

42 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Seems mildly ironic that there is seeming mocking of the level of support for Queens Park. 
I reckons adherents of the bigot twins could well do the same as regards our level of support and I doubt we would want to be associated with the like of them.

I don't think anybody is mocking the level of support for Queens Park, more surprise that with them going for a possible place in the premiership and more fans didn't turn up to support them. For me the comparison with Gretna is justified as well. I know from reading comments from their supporters on P& B they are not happy with matters of the pitch, not least how long it is taking to get Lesser Hampden completed.