Doolan

Third Lanark

LISTEN!:

Who started the ubiquitous present-tense meme ("He's got to score from there;" "He looks up, and crosses...") that has become so popular among tv pundits as well as football managers and coaches. Why is there a preference for the present tense, when what we're watching is already in the past? (Genuine question: Why the preference?) Shouldn't it be "He should have scored from there;" He looked up, and crossed..." Is it to dupe viewers into thinking that there are still watching live? Are commentators and pundits instructed to use the present tense?..... (Certainly wouldn't surprise me from the BBC, who imo should not be funded by the public.) 

OK, I'll go to bed. 

ETA: After that rant, I forgot to propose an answer to "Who started it?"

I cannot back this up with evidence (maybe a future student project?).... I'm going for Kevin Keegan! But of course it could be (probably was) a pundit..... Hansen, Lawrenson, or Shearer...

Edited by Jaggernaut

22 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Great to see Kris Doolan doing so well in his first managerial role, at the club where he spent most time and had his greatest success. Truthfully, he was treated pretty disgracefully previously under the management of Gary Caldwell/Board of that time (as was another great Thistle player-Chris Erskine) but it was clear his strong feeling for the club outweighed any grievances he might have felt previously. The team has come on tremendously since he took the managerial ‘reigns’ and though he did not assemble this squad (Kudos to Ian McCall for that, though he ultimately had his troubles) it’s great to see the team not just winning, but doing so playing football in the ‘right’ way, directly and through attacking tactics, whilst keeping a secure defence.

Not only that, but KD has shown the knack of conducting himself very well in interviews, ignoring the hackneyed cliches heard so often by managers in post-match interviews. He genuinely sounds as if he knows what he’s talking about, looks good on camera, (rather than as if he can’t wait for the interview to be over) and is a good ambassador for the club generally. He has lifted the PTFC out of the doldrums of previous months in more ways than one. Whether the club achieve promotion this time or not-and they look highly likely to do so-I for one hope that he continues as PTFC manager next season and beyond. Good luck Kris in the future! You deserve it!

Kris has done all this and also had to cope with the loss of his Father. I hope after next Sunday he gets to spend more time with his family and has a good break.

The 'listen' whenever they speak also annoy's me, if i wasn't listening to them , i wouldn't hear them say 'listen'. Another annoying one for me is when they replay goals on the radio, pointless imo. Rant over for tonight.:happy2:

I will be back tomorrow and start Home and Away part 4. Hopefully as lucky for Thistle as parts 1-3.:fan:

14 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

"He's got to score from there!"

"He'll be disappointed with that."

"He's got to do better from there!"

"There IS contact..." [So what? It's a contact sport! Should the rules be re-written to outlaw tackles?]

"Englands expects."

All candidates for Room 101.

Listen, not taking anything away from the boy, but he definitely should of scored

2 hours ago, eljaggo said:

The commentary improves beyond measure if you watch the match without sound.

Agree entirely, but difficult when it's on the radio.

My particular bugbear I inevitably hear every single week around 5pm on a Saturday, is the Radio Scotland (BBC) presenter talking up the Scottish football results. "Yet another incredible day in the Cinch* Premier League", "Who could ever have imagined it", "Amazing, never ceases to amaze me" and of course "You just could never have made it up". Every ******* week!

Oh, and there's nearly always a reference to some team or other having "turned it around". Usually with a "just a couple or so weeks ago the relegation play offs were staring them in the face. Now they're knocking on a promotion play off spot". Aye, so utterly surprising., There's only ten teams in the ******* league, you moron.

Rant over

* never forget to mention the sponsor, lads, you never know.

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree entirely, but difficult when it's on the radio.

My particular bugbear I inevitably hear every single week around 5pm on a Saturday, is the Radio Scotland (BBC) presenter talking up the Scottish football results. "Yet another incredible day in the Cinch* Premier League", "Who could ever have imagined it", "Amazing, never ceases to amaze me" and of course "You just could never have made it up". Every ******* week!

Oh, and there's nearly always a reference to some team or other having "turned it around". Usually with a "just a couple or so weeks ago the relegation play offs were staring them in the face. Now they're knocking on a promotion play off spot". Aye, so utterly surprising., There's only ten teams in the ******* league, you moron.

Rant over

* never forget to mention the sponsor, lads, you never know.

That'll be the world-renowned Scottish Premiership where the third team has just finished 42 points (the equivalent of 14 wins) behind the champions and where season after season the only real competition relates to deciding who is the worst of the worst .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

That'll be the world-renowned Scottish Premiership where the third team has just finished 42 points (the equivalent of 14 wins) behind the champions and where season after season the only real competition relates to deciding who is the worst of the worst .

Indeed, a league where several teams near the top are very close to each other in points and regularly exchange positions is a "crazy league". Sounds like a "good league" to me.

On 5/28/2023 at 5:11 PM, Jaggernaut said:

LISTEN!:

Who started the ubiquitous present-tense meme ("He's got to score from there;" "He looks up, and crosses...") that has become so popular among tv pundits as well as football managers and coaches. Why is there a preference for the present tense, when what we're watching is already in the past? (Genuine question: Why the preference?) Shouldn't it be "He should have scored from there;" He looked up, and crossed..." Is it to dupe viewers into thinking that there are still watching live? Are commentators and pundits instructed to use the present tense?..... (Certainly wouldn't surprise me from the BBC, who imo should not be funded by the public.) 

OK, I'll go to bed. 

ETA: After that rant, I forgot to propose an answer to "Who started it?"

I cannot back this up with evidence (maybe a future student project?).... I'm going for Kevin Keegan! But of course it could be (probably was) a pundit..... Hansen, Lawrenson, or Shearer...

My guess is that they adopted it in order to avoid using the subjunctive mood: that way, they don't have to think when to say "might", and just replace it with "may" all the time - the wooly thinking of typical journalese. (E.g. "He may have scored that goal but the keeper made a fantastic save.")

8 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Or Gordon Strachan, then manager of Southampton, interviewed pitch-side after a home defeat:

"where do you think it went wrong for you today?"

"see that big green thing?"

It was - “which area of the pitch do you think they were better than you ?”

Answer: “ that big green area out there”

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23560325.kris-doolan-recalls-late-fathers-greatest-lesson/

We take the ball, we look after it, we take possession of the ball and we take physicality away from the other team because if that is all you’ve got, then we’ve got more. We have got physicality as well, we can mix it up if we need to but ultimately if we have got the ball and we move the ball quick enough, then it takes physicality out of it.

• Like 3

Be interesting to see what Doolan does with the squad.

Of those out of contract I would be keen to keep Tiffoney, Turner, Docherty and Holt. Suspect only Docherty out that bunch is a possibility. If Muirhead wants another year as backup centrehalf then also fine. Everyone else out of contract can go including Bannigan, however I can't see Doolan letting him go in his testimonial year given what was done to Doolan.

Sneddon is possibly the only one who could feel hard done by but I don't see how we can afford to have 2 goalkeepers on starting wages. If we need to cut costs the obvious move is Mitchell with McCready as backup and emergency loans if required.

I think we should be looking to extend the contracts of Fitzpatrick, Milne and McMillan.

I would also look to move Dowds on, there's potential there but he's at best a poorer version of an ageing Brian Graham and if Graham is fit Dowds isn't getting much game time.

So that would leave the following 

Mitchell

McMillan-New Guy-New Guy-Milne

Lawless-New Guy-Docherty-Fitzpatrick

Graham-New Guy

That would mean recruiting 2 centre-halfs, 2 midfielders and a striker as starters. Thats a fair old ask for a manager who has never signed a player before.

34 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Mitchell has been fine, but an upgrade in the GK department is a must. Mitchell made some great saves yesterday, but over the season he's been steady at best. You've got to feel that someone of Cerny's ability would have won us a few more points. 

Mitchell is probably more suited to Doolan's preferred style of fast distribution and attack (as Fox was in 2012/13). Sneddon is very slow by contrast. Obviously someone of Cerny's ability may have won us more points (although he was also frustratingly slow at distribution), but to attract keepers of that ability we need to be in the Premiership (Cerny would never have played for us in the Championship and left as soon as we were relegated). I'm not sure what we'll be able to afford next season, but I suspect strengthening other areas and/or replacing all those that leave will be more pressing than replacing Mitchell.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Mitchell has been fine, but an upgrade in the GK department is a must. Mitchell made some great saves yesterday, but over the season he's been steady at best. You've got to feel that someone of Cerny's ability would have won us a few more points. 

Way down the list of priorities based on the other positions that need to be filled. Just look at the Ayr and Queens Park keepers and be thankful we have someone as good as Mitchell.