Home and Away part 3

Auld Jag

Strange to feel slightly disappointed with 3-0, would have bitten your hand off at the start of the game! I think that shows how good we were in attack tonight, it could easily have been 5 or 6. 

As mentioned elsewhere, our keeper and defence deserve great credit for keeping the late Ayr surge at bay, that clean sheet could be very important. 

I've been critical of Brownlie but he was excellent tonight. 

Muirhead and Lawless were the pick of the bunch for me though, didn't put a foot wrong all night. Like others I wasn't sure about Stevie coming back but he is up there as one of my favourite Jags to watch over the last decade. Such a clever player and his partnership with McMillan could easily cut it in the league above. 

One foot in the final but the tie doesn't feel quite dead just yet. 

Great to see Firhill so busy and when the crowd helped fill the JLS in the second half, it was absolutely bouncing. No idea why they waited for the players to be back on the pitch before letting them swap stands mind you! 

Credit to Ayr as well, that was one of the biggest away supports at Firhill in a long time. 

• Like 2

That was an entertaining night...Ayr & Hamilton were the only sides we haven't handed out drubbings to this season but we looked a class above tonight although the last minute summed up the game...could have gone to 3-1 or 4-0. Good performances all round and we really carry a goal threat...Ayr without Akinyemi looked quite ordinary...but if Milne, McAvoy & Bannigan were available we would have a pretty strong team.

Graham often looks clumsy and misses good chances but keeps scoring important goals. Fitzpatrick is frustrating too...but has real talent.

The JHS seemed really busy but what happened with the sold-out JLS? I was getting a bit annoyed with the constant stream of latecomers and fans going for a pie and a pee throughout the first half so was not amused with the fud with the flare...hope he didn't get to see the second half.

Edited by Winter of '63

Guy with the flair was huckled by security. Unfortunately not the only fud this evening.

Just a quick note. The Aiken Suite is supposed to be for families. It's not for reprobates blatantly sniffing cocaine in the toilets and lining up outside the cubicles for a dunt. Getting sick of these types doing it so blatantly. 

• Like 1

The last few games (and some other games this season) have been the best attacking football I’ve seen in years. We have real creative threat from McMillan, Lawless (genius), Turner, Tiff and Fitzy. Quite incredible really. Plus of course star poacher BBG, who might miss a few but his scoring record is brilliant. And of course we’ve lost Harry Milne for the last 6 weeks, who’s been sensational.

Well done to Dools for being daring over the past few games, and if we can get a result next week then anything is possible.

Another fantastic performance, and a wee bit unfair to praise individual players in what was a great team effort.  The big differences from the McCall era are the speed of play, work rate and motivation.  Time and again the Ayr players were beaten for speed, and the midfield fought tooth and nail as per Lambie's teams.  The BBC stats showed we had less possession than Ayr but more shots on target, which if true, simply confirms the effectiveness of Doolan's management.

6 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

And the club posted on twitter:

“There aren't many home end tickets left for tonight's play-off semi-final first leg against Ayr United at Firhill with the John Lambie Stand already at full capacity”

but 5k Thistle fans turned up with two stands that have a combined capacity of 8k…. Doesn’t add up!

As for the game, another great performance throughout the team and only gripe was it should have been more. But I fancy us to score at Somerset and reach the final. 

Looking at Camallain’s video of the first goal the JHS looks pretty full and even of the 3rd it looks much busier than normal. I think there must have been a problem with the barcode reader at the JLS, so they have let people into the JHS without scanning and then at half time allowed fans to go to JLS. Why they waited until we were ready to kick off, though, is another matter. 

1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

Another fantastic performance, and a wee bit unfair to praise individual players in what was a great team effort.  The big differences from the McCall era are the speed of play, work rate and motivation.  Time and again the Ayr players were beaten for speed, and the midfield fought tooth and nail as per Lambie's teams.  The BBC stats showed we had less possession than Ayr but more shots on target, which if true, simply confirms the effectiveness of Doolan's management.

Agreed, and as an aspect of the play and work rate I'd highlight them especially in and around the opposition's penalty box: players making decoy runs to drag one or two defenders wide, others moving around and waiting to shoot if they get the chance. I used to feel frustrated at how immobile the forwards were under McCall, when they too often simply seemed to wait for a pass and if it didn't come then too bad.  

What a night. Friday night football is magical. In the early part of the season I couldn't understand what McMillan was doing out there. He's either our most improved player or as usual I don't know my arse from my elbow. That match just sucked my grandson back in.(He'd been wavering after Cove/Hamilton)

2013 team was my favourite Thistle team in 40 years of watching. If we could do it, exactly 10 years on, with Banzo, Aero and Stevie Lawless in the side, and Dools in charge.... Right, don't get carried away Alan, long way to go.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

A commanding performance after we scored. Special mention for Mitchell who pulled off a good save at 0-0 and then in the final minute to keep what could be a very important clean sheet. Brownlie and Fitzpatrick also deserve a mention. Not a failure in our side tonight. We can't get complacent, we don't want to do a Peterborough.

Thanks to @Grubber8468 for getting me the ticket for the John Lambie stand.

The guy who ran onto the pitch with the flare was not smart or funny.:red_card:

I thought I’d seen you on the telly, glad you got your normal spot.

Was a great game to watch, BBC (Jagszone crashed 10 minutes in after loads of issues with sound) stated the team is playing with an edge to them, something that wasn’t there with McColl, I’d agree on that, they work as a real unit, and the pace going forward was missing prior to Doolan coming in.

Ties not over but we’ve had 11 clean sheets from 16 games whilst scoring 34 goals will have any opposition worried.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

That's not cool.  Worrying stuff.  You should inform the club on this.

I will do that. I know they can't do a lot about it short of having security in every bathroom, so it isn't the club's fault. Unfortunately coked up reprobates and football seen to go hand-in-hand now. 

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Looking at Camallain’s video of the first goal the JHS looks pretty full and even of the 3rd it looks much busier than normal. I think there must have been a problem with the barcode reader at the JLS, so they have let people into the JHS without scanning and then at half time allowed fans to go to JLS. Why they waited until we were ready to kick off, though, is another matter. 

my nephew said tickets were sold out so people organised on facebook to go to JH nearest the JL. I think it was clubs choice to reduce capacity.

I wonder if there will be any comeback on the club for delaying the kick-off. Suppose it will depend on the ref's report. The guy with the flare may not have been so bold if there hadn't been fans spilling on to the pitch during the transfer. Badly handled!

2 hours ago, allyo said:

2013 team was my favourite Thistle team in 40 years of watching. If we could do it, exactly 10 years on, with Banzo, Aero and Stevie Lawless in the side, and Dools in charge.... Right, don't get carried away Alan, long way to go.

2013 was a brilliant season. The feeling of pride in this current Jags team is getting towards that, largely thanks to Doolans attitude to the playoffs. 

• Like 2

In reply to Y & R

They'll possibly have to do something about it. There's a drinks licence involved. Moreover the licence allows children within the premises. As an ex publican I know all to well the pressures (and restrictions) the authorities can enforce upon licensees. 

Seems crazy and ironic when you see how vigorously fans are searched for plastic bottles water and the like.

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

A very enjoyable night (apart from the numpty with the flare) but it is still just the halfway point. I am sure we will have a large, noisy support down at Ayr next week so let's hope they can push the team on like they did against Queens Park away.

Are we at risk of getting fined because of that? 

51 minutes ago, sandy said:

2013 was a brilliant season. The feeling of pride in this current Jags team is getting towards that, largely thanks to Doolans attitude to the playoffs. 

I love Doolan's attitude, and in his own recent circumstances its even more credit to him. Its quite unusual for a manager to speak so positively, to come right out and say, yes we can do this. I think he's great to listen to and I can understand why the players are responding well.

• Like 2