Home and Away part 3

Auld Jag

12 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

IF we get to final play offs I would prefer Kilmarnock over Ross County.  County have Simon Murray and Eamon Brophy up front.

Ross and Killie play each other in a potentially ugly ,blood and snotters do or die tie at Rugby Park on the Sunday before first playoff.If we beat Ayr we’ll have an extra 2 days to recover.

12 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

IF we get to final play offs I would prefer Kilmarnock over Ross County.  County have Simon Murray and Eamon Brophy up front.

I would prefer Kilmarnock to allow for a massive Jags support to attend on the Sunday 2nd leg.

• Like 1

Brian Graham to the half-century and beyond, now up there with Johnny MacKenzie! All the post-Ayr updates now in place at the Archive →

:detective:  RAMPANT

● The attendance of 7,012 is the largest non Old-Firm Thistle crowd at Firhill since 7,122 bore witness to an insipid play-off defeat to Livingston almost 5 years to the day.
● For the first time since 2006 (when Thistle were promoted via the play-offs) Thistle have scored in SEVEN consecutive first halves.
● Incredibly, it's now 10 direct goal involvements in his last 8 games for the rampant Scott Tiffoney.
● With his first goal of the night Brian Graham becomes the 46th Jag to hit the 50 competitive goals milestone. A magnificent achievement in just over 3 years at the club.
Kris Doolan's Jags have now scored two or more goals in six consecutive competitive matches. You need to rewind to February 2000 to find a longer run (7, by John Lambie's boys).
● With his second goal of the night Brian Graham becomes the first Jag since (promotion winning) Mark Roberts in 2005-06 to hit the TWENTY competitive goals mark in any given season. He's the only the 4th Jag to hit that mark within the 40 most recent seasons.
● Now with 8 goals against Ayr United, the talismanic Brian Graham needs just one more to become the club's all-time joint-highest scorer against the Honest Men, with John Torbet and Johnny Ballantyne currently sitting on 9 apiece.
Kris Doolan becomes just the second Thistle manager in history to begin his tenure unbeaten in 7 competitive games in Maryhill. The impressive club-record was set in 2013 when Alan Archibald began his managerial tenure with 11 unbeaten games at Firhill.
● Partick Thistle become the first club to win three successive games in the Premiership play-offs in any given season.
● With 11 goals already, Partick Thistle become the highest scoring club in the Premiership play-offs of any given season. The previous record (9) was held by Dundee United in 2016-17.

ongoing sequences:
● 7 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 7 games; 20th Mar 2021 to 29th Apr 2021. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 9 competitive games without defeat, 1st Apr 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 9 games, 15th Oct 2021 to 4th Dec 2021. Joint club-record: 16 games, 15th Nov 1975 to 21st Feb 1976 & 30th Sep 2000 to 13th Jan 2001.)

● 49 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: James Penrice - 51 games, 7th Sep 2019 to 10th Apr 2021. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

brian-graham.png

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Bit of me would like Utd, just to gain revenge for THAT game!

Bit of me would be happy for us just to see them heading down as we head up.

Gut feeling tells me if possible we'll be best off playing the loser of the Killie v County game. For any number of reasons that of course may not come about. Play a team not just physically bruised from a gruelling match but with their pride bruised as well.

Whatever, if we get past Ayr, we won't know our opponents for certain till next Sunday. Certainly means that whoever it is will not have had an opportunity to rest key players.

I'm not a big fan of declaring who we want when we are only halfway through a two leg tie. 3 goals is a good lead but it ain't done until its done.

That being said if its us or Ayr both sides want to be playing teams that are knackered physically and mentally. So on Wednesday I would like a Dundee United win and a Ross County to lose.

That would mean the bottom 3 would have 1 point between them going into the last game next Saturday. In that scenario one of those teams is going to get their hopes raised and then dashed as league positions change multiple times during the 90 minutes.

From what I have seen of the teams, Dundee United look the most beatable. Their goalkeeper and defence appear to be on different wavelengths and with Stephen Fletcher potentially injured for their remaining games they now have very little goal threat. They also look like a club that's coming to the end of a road ,like us when Livi beat us, and there would be a lot of satisfaction in us avenging our playoff defeat to them,

Ross County would be my next choice. Their history suggests every few years they need to rip it up and start again and with Malky MacKay in charge I suspect most neutrals would be on the side of the team that could send them down. With Brophy currently injured and Murray out of favour they tend to play with Jordan White as a big target man which is probably the type of striker Brownlie would prefer. Add to that the possibility of a home time with 99% Thistle fans in attendance and a chance to go to Dingwall, avenge that 4-0 capitulation and see if Roy MacGregor enjoys his medicine then I wouldn't be adverse to that.

Kilmarnock have the most astute manager in my opinion. They have also been in survival mode since the start of the season which in turn makes me believe they would be the hardest to get by. I could see Killie shutting up shop and playing some pretty brutal hoofball just to get over the line. 

51 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Bit of me would be happy for us just to see them heading down as we head up.

Gut feeling tells me if possible we'll be best off playing the loser of the Killie v County game. For any number of reasons that of course may not come about. Play a team not just physically bruised from a gruelling match but with their pride bruised as well.

Whatever, if we get past Ayr, we won't know our opponents for certain till next Sunday. Certainly means that whoever it is will not have had an opportunity to rest key players.

I think there is a real possibility that going into the final game all 3 are on 34 points.

Strangely I think that the Sheffield Wednesday comeback from 4 goals down was well-timed from our point of view. It takes away any temptation towards complacency or any other inappropriate attitude to the second leg.

Actually, from post-match comments, it would seem to me that Peterborough were not complacent. They went into the game expecting a storm and prepared to lose, but simply intending to keep the margin of defeat to 3 or less. That psychology was all wrong and was rightly punished. All that Kris Doolan says indicates the much better approach of looking to take the initiative, play our usual attacking football and win the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Brian Graham to the half-century and beyond, now up there with Johnny MacKenzie! All the post-Ayr updates now in place at the Archive →

:detective:  RAMPANT

● The attendance of 7,012 is the largest non Old-Firm Thistle crowd at Firhill since 7,122 bore witness to an insipid play-off defeat to Livingston almost 5 years to the day.
● For the first time since 2006 (when Thistle were promoted via the play-offs) Thistle have scored in SEVEN consecutive first halves.
● Incredibly, it's now 10 direct goal involvements in his last 8 games for the rampant Scott Tiffoney.
● With his first goal of the night Brian Graham becomes the 46th Jag to hit the 50 competitive goals milestone. A magnificent achievement in just over 3 years at the club.
Kris Doolan's Jags have now scored two or more goals in six consecutive competitive matches. You need to rewind to February 2000 to find a longer run (7, by John Lambie's boys).
● With his second goal of the night Brian Graham becomes the first Jag since (promotion winning) Mark Roberts in 2005-06 to hit the TWENTY competitive goals mark in any given season. He's the only the 4th Jag to hit that mark within the 40 most recent seasons.
● Now with 8 goals against Ayr United, the talismanic Brian Graham needs just one more to become the club's all-time joint-highest scorer against the Honest Men, with John Torbet and Johnny Ballantyne currently sitting on 9 apiece.
Kris Doolan becomes just the second Thistle manager in history to begin his tenure unbeaten in 7 competitive games in Maryhill. The impressive club-record was set in 2013 when Alan Archibald began his managerial tenure with 11 unbeaten games at Firhill.
● Partick Thistle become the first club to win three successive games in the Premiership play-offs in any given season.
● With 11 goals already, Partick Thistle become the highest scoring club in the Premiership play-offs of any given season. The previous record (9) was held by Dundee United in 2016-17.

ongoing sequences:
● 7 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 7 games; 20th Mar 2021 to 29th Apr 2021. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 9 competitive games without defeat, 1st Apr 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 9 games, 15th Oct 2021 to 4th Dec 2021. Joint club-record: 16 games, 15th Nov 1975 to 21st Feb 1976 & 30th Sep 2000 to 13th Jan 2001.)

● 49 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: James Penrice - 51 games, 7th Sep 2019 to 10th Apr 2021. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

brian-graham.png

What’s the difference between 50th competitive goal and 50 in all competitions announced by the official website last week?

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/brian-graham-reaches-50-goals-for-thistle/

47 minutes ago, jaggy said:

What’s the difference between 50th competitive goal and 50 in all competitions announced by the official website last week?

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/brian-graham-reaches-50-goals-for-thistle/

There is a difference of opinion as to his hat trick at Inverness a while back.  The official sources at the club believe it to be a hat-trick (as confirmed by the referee!) while TTA attributes one of his goals to an own goal!  A small difference of opinion here!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michael m said:

There is a difference of opinion as to his hat trick at Inverness a while back.  The official sources at the club believe it to be a hat-trick (as confirmed by the referee!) while TTA attributes one of his goals to an own goal!  A small difference of opinion here!

Surely, if the referee gave it to Graham then it is officially a hat trick. 

• Like 1

Just as a matter of interest, listened back to Ian McCall's post-match interview there on Jagzone, they knew the score in the dressing room anyway...

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-tv/inverness-ct-reaction-ian-mccall-9th-february-2022/

"Brian scored a couple of good goals, the first one I think was an own goal... I know the first one was an own goal, but Tiffoney was magnificent at it, Docherty was as well."

10 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

The bottom line is that Brian Graham didn't score a hat-trick at Inverness. As the video evidence shows, the ball bypassed him completely and Wallace Duffy thumped the ball home - the own goal is blatantly obvious.

After watching a couple of times, I see it. I assume in the archive there is a note to point out the difference between the PTFC records and the TTA to avoid confusion for any future researchers ?

Regardless, Brian Graham has been an absolute revelation. Exactly the type of player we needed. Not dissimilar to Mark Roberts, he is a cheating, moaning wee so and so. Amazing that at his age, he is playing the best football of his career. Regardless of whatever division we are in next season, he needs to be our starting striker. 

59 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Regardless, Brian Graham has been an absolute revelation. Exactly the type of player we needed. Not dissimilar to Mark Roberts, he is a cheating, moaning wee so and so. Amazing that at his age, he is playing the best football of his career. Regardless of whatever division we are in next season, he needs to be our starting striker. 

There's PTFC pitchside video* of the player celebration after McMillan's goal. All ten outfield players are involved. Big Brian makes use of the opportunity like a pre match huddle to impart info to the players. Could be motivational, words of caution, change in game plan etc. No way of knowing but its kinda indicative of the leadership qualities the Big Man possesses. Not disagreeing with Y&R but even if Brian gets less game time and/or less starts I'm glad he'll be around next season.  

*on facebook but I don't know how to link it.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

There's PTFC pitchside video* of the player celebration after McMillan's goal. All ten outfield players are involved. Big Brian makes use of the opportunity like a pre match huddle to impart info to the players. Could be motivational, words of caution, change in game plan etc. No way of knowing but its kinda indicative of the leadership qualities the Big Man possesses. Not disagreeing with Y&R but even if Brian gets less game time and/or less starts I'm glad he'll be around next season.  

*on facebook but I don't know how to link it.

I did notice that. And to his credit, Docherty seemed to be saying something to Tiffoney as well. 

I think the big difference between the team under McCall vs. under Doolan is that the players expect a lot more of each other now. There seems to be a desire to really push one another, and hold each individual to account. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I watched Friday's game on catch up and enjoyed watching the half time blethering- the guy from QP saying ' Aye, Brian's always angry for some reason' :)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

After watching a couple of times, I see it. I assume in the archive there is a note to point out the difference between the PTFC records and the TTA to avoid confusion for any future researchers ?

At the current count we have 22,613 goals covered (for and against) in legitimate PTFC first-team matches. In the vast majority of instances we've visited these goals painstakingly one by one. Often, several papers are opened and scrutinized to try and get to the truth. Everytime there's a contemporary discrepancy we write a "Dubious Goals Panel" report entry and appoint it truthfully as best we can per the contemporary evidence. These reports feature at the bottom of the match hub in question and you'll see the entry for the Inverness goal in question if you navigate to it.

Beyond that, we also list each and every goal, one by one, for each and every player and you'll see Brian Graham's 55 goals listed if you navigate to his page. We can only hope that anyone researching Thistle goals references the Thistle Archive, where all the work has been done to the nth degree. We care a lot about it and we're very proud of our work. Yes, it's kinda distressing to be out of sync with the club, but we did try and make contact on the matter and received no reply, so it's not for the want of trying!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

At the current count we have 22,613 goals covered (for and against) in legitimate PTFC first-team matches. In the vast majority of instances we've visited these goals painstakingly one by one. Often, several papers are opened and scrutinized to try and get to the truth. Everytime there's a contemporary discrepancy we write a "Dubious Goals Panel" report entry and appoint it truthfully as best we can per the contemporary evidence. These reports feature at the bottom of the match hub in question and you'll see the entry for the Inverness goal in question if you navigate to it.

Beyond that, we also list each and every goal, one by one, for each and every player and you'll see Brian Graham's 55 goals listed if you navigate to his page. We can only hope that anyone researching Thistle goals references the Thistle Archive, where all the work has been done to the nth degree. We care a lot about it and we're very proud of our work. Yes, it's kinda distressing to be out of sync with the club, but we did try and make contact on the matter and received no reply, so it's not for the want of trying!

Really appreciate your reply and the vast amount of work that you have done. I am not a researcher but I do really like the updates after the games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Really appreciate your reply and the vast amount of work that you have done. I am not a researcher but I do really like the updates after the games. 

Likewise - it’s a truly amazing effort and I always look forward to reading the update after any game