Home and Away part 3

Auld Jag

Okay at risk of opening divisions... Please don't let it, I just think it's an interesting question, so here goes...

I think everyone is now in agreement that Kris Doolan is doing a great job and bringing him in as manager has worked out really well, and clearly improved the team.

I personally thought that sacking McCall was a bit harsh, but I had mixed feelings. While I think he did a decent job in stabilising and improving thistle in both his spells, I never really felt thst he was going to get us into the Premier league. Far too inconsistent.

My other thought at the time was that, while I love Kris Doolan, he was either a risky appointment given lack of experience, or the desperate move of a club that had no other options. Or both.

So my question is this...  Did the club just get lucky, in that the guy we turned to has happened to be a great manager (at least so far)? Or did someone at the club see something in Kris Doolan to indicate that this would work out well, that he had real potential, and that it was therefore a smart and positive move?

Edited by allyo

17 minutes ago, allyo said:

Okay at risk of opening divisions... Please don't let it, I just think it's an interesting question, so here goes...

I think everyone is now in agreement that Kris Doolan is doing a great job and bringing him in as manager has worked out really well, and clearly improved the team.

I personally thought that sacking McCall was a bit harsh, but I had mixed feelings. While I think he did a decent job in stabilising and improving thistle in both his spells, I never really felt thst he was going to get us into the Premier league. Far too inconsistent.

My other thought at the time was that, while I love Kris Doolan, he was either a risky appointment given lack of experience, or the desperate move of a club that had no other options. Or both.

So my question is this...  Did the club just get lucky, in that the guy we turned to has happened to be a great manager (at least so far)? Or did someone at the club see something in Kris Doolan to indicate that this would work out well, that he had real potential, and that it was therefore a smart and positive move?

IMO, it was a cheap option. No other candidates available. Yes, we have lucked out in the way he has turned round the side. We seem to have stumbled on a gem.

16 minutes ago, allyo said:

Doolan is clearly a very smart guy, works hard & understands the game.

All managers need their first break, and I’m delighted Kris had his with Thistle. Absolute credit to the club.

Of course there’s an element of luck, but there’s never a guarantee of success with any manager, let alone a rookie. 

And what a run he’s taken us on - players absolutely fighting for him, wonderful to see. There was always talent in this squad, but he’s managed to join the dots.

41 minutes ago, allyo said:

Personally, I think they got lucky, as up to that point the new owners hadn’t shown any football acumen as far as I can recall. And last week, after the JLS ticketing problem and fan migration statements, they sounded like pre share transfer statements.

5 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I can back up Barney. I was at the game and definitely saw the yellow card being shown to Muirhead. In the JagZone interview Doolan explained that Muirhead had been substituted to avoid any possibility of a second booking and consequent red card.

I was on the far side terracing and missed the yellow. Thanks for clarifying

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Where did that come from?, not one of us in the park tonight in our wildest dreams would have predicted a 5.0.win.... congratulations to all the players and management team ..

Actually, one guy interviewed on one of the match vlogs on Youtube predicted it! 😀

4 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Was a red card without doubt except to the disappointed BBC, and Muirhead was shown a yellow for the same incident but not mentioned by the BBC.  There were several other Ayr fouls well off the ball early in the game that went unpunished.

Great performance all round, including that of the subs.  Nothing to fear from the finals, especially if we get a bit more clinical with our finishing - can't see any of our possible opponents being as leaky in defence as Ayr or QP.

About 5 minutes or so after the sending off it came up on the screen that Muirhead had been booked.

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Where did that come from?, not one of us in the park tonight in our wildest dreams would have predicted a 5.0.win.... congratulations to all the players and management team ..

Spot on.

Really surprised at Ayr. I expect a bombardment from Ayr for at least the first 20 minutes but they had no urgency at all. Akinyemi didn't get sent of until the 25th minute and they did nothing in 25 minutes that made you think they were ever likely to get back in the tie. If I was an Ayr fan I would have been demanding the manager's dismissal after the two performances his team have served up.

We seem to be getting stronger as the team is really starting to click in the new formation. Some of the moves we are putting together is beginning to rival the 2012/13 team. The 3rd goal yesterday is absolutely glorious. Fitzpatrick looks so much better as an out and out winger tasked with getting the ball across goal rather than trying to cut inside all the time. His cross for Tiffoney's goal was perfect and a replica of what he did for Graham's in the first leg. Our attacking formation is a real tactical throwback with a proper front 4 and its great to watch.

Don't really get how anyone can argue against the red card for Akinyemi. Only complaint on the ref was Mcallister should have seen red as well for a fairly obvious stamp on Fitzpatrick.

The team is now playing that well that its picking itself. It'll be interesting to see what County and Kilmarnock are like but I can't imagine either defence is looking forward to playing us.

• Like 1

And everyone (certainly on telly) is forgetting that we currently have three players who'd probly be starting who are out through injury. Its not like Doolan has been really lucky with injuries.

Though i do think we would still struggle without Brian Graham

2 hours ago, allyo said:

This will also not be popular. Imo McCall deserves credit for once again putting a very good squad together. But for whatever reason he just seems unable to take them up a level or two in performance. The difference between our last two league performances under our previous management team and our current form under the new management team is like night and day and long may it continue. For me the next test for Dools and Paul McDonald is this close season and next season, with so many first team starters out of contract and we are unsure at the moment of the finances as well, it will be a very interesting time to see who we sign, no matter what league we are in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

This will also not be popular. Imo McCall deserves credit for once again putting a very good squad together. But for whatever reason he just seems unable to take them up a level or two in performance. The difference between our last two league performances under our previous management team and our current form under the new management team is like night and day and long may it continue. For me the next test for Dools and Paul McDonald is this close season and next season, with so many first team starters out of contract and we are unsure at the moment of the finances as well, it will be a very interesting time to see who we sign, no matter what league we are in.

Indeed McCall deserves credit for getting this squad in. But that's where the his credit stops.

3 hours ago, allyo said:

Interesting questions. 

In my view, Doolan stood out as a calm player and excellent ambassador for the Club when he was playing for us. I remember sitting at his table at the end of season players dinner (after we secured top 6) thinking that he was destined to return one day as manager.

The fact that he landed the role so quickly after coming back to the Academy was lucky for us. He’s a genuinely decent guy who wants the very best for the Club and will work hard to achieve it. 

Putting aside which league will be in and what budget he will have, the next piece of the jigsaw for me is getting his Assistant confirmed so Paul can focus on the academy. Erskine anyone?

3 minutes ago, Grubber8468 said:

Credit to Mitchell for a good save in first two or three minutes before we scored…. Could have been a very different night👍👍👍👍👍

That's becoming a regular theme. Regardless what happens next week Mitchell has made a valuable contribution during the play offs so far. An error from one of our most experienced goalies was part responsible for our downfall during our last play off finals, so Mitchell has nothing to live up to.

5 minutes ago, sandy said:

Interesting questions. 

In my view, Doolan stood out as a calm player and excellent ambassador for the Club when he was playing for us. I remember sitting at his table at the end of season players dinner (after we secured top 6) thinking that he was destined to return one day as manager.

The fact that he landed the role so quickly after coming back to the Academy was lucky for us. He’s a genuinely decent guy who wants the very best for the Club and will work hard to achieve it. 

Putting aside which league will be in and what budget he will have, the next piece of the jigsaw for me is getting his Assistant confirmed so Paul can focus on the academy. Erskine anyone?

I absolutely love Chris Erskine. My favourite player and if he is ever at any event, I will get a photo with him. But not the right assistant for Doolan. Both are quality people, but they are too similar. 

Not necessarily saying that we need to have good cop, bad cop. But we require a different sort of character, who will be a supportive assistant on the same wavelength, but also unafraid to speak truth to power!

PS Apologies for excessive use of cliches.

4 minutes ago, sandy said:

Interesting questions. 

Horses mouth stuff, Chris is too involved in his job in the Fire Service to take on any coaching role.

Part answering allyo's question. I don't think Doolan's appointment was anything but a cheap option. Two things tho'. Firstly I reckon finances (or rather total lack of) dictated the decision. Secondly, because of his character it was 100% certain that he'd give his all and represent the Club in the best possible light. So in a way the risk factor of Kris's appointment was considerably negated.    

Interesting to read the views on here. Regardless of Doolan lucky or not we are on fire just now and that for me is ironically because of Bannigan getting injured. He was excellent against Queens before he went off and I thought we were defensively off it after he went off. Turner struggled a wee bit which was fair enough until he found his feet over the next game.

Bottom line is Tiffoney free role causing havoc because sometimes other teams just double up when he is out wide. If he isn't in the game we were really struggling week in week out. I didn't feel he was in the game till 2nd half against Queens. Fitzy gets a decent run out and just like Hamilton game causes havoc. His usual 10.mins he does nothing as a sub. So for me it's simple new Tiff free role Fitzy getting games under his belt and having the safety of Holt behind him. Lawless being amazing as always but against Queens until Bannigan went off he didn't get a sniff until their left back moved over to try halt Fitz.

Turner who I love has been excellent filling in and its just the way the cards have been dealt and we have found an amazing team going forward. MCcall would never have done that with Tiff and I think if Bannigan was playing with Turner in the hole we would not be where we are. Bannigan defensively and in general though is a great player.